• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Anyone else go there and notice this?
    I am upset and don't plan on going there while this policy is in place.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    First they are out of chicago, so I'm not surprised... second, they aren't all that.

I've open carried into Potbellies (also out of sickago but far superior sandwiches) in both Highland and Merrilliville many times, never had them say a word.

I assume you saw a sign?

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Yes,it was typical no firearms allowed even with a permit.LEO exempt as always.Risk prosecution for trespassing or being forced to leave.I've been there several times and I saw it for the first time this Sat.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    First they are out of chicago, so I'm not surprised... second, they aren't all that.

I am not surprised either. As you are well aware, a lot of people from Illinois think people from Indiana are stupid. That is probably why this no firearms policy has been carried over from the Republic of Chicago. It is to inform Hoosiers that Chicago is superior. Just do yourself a favor and don't bother going there anymore.

Now, let's talk sandwiches. Here are my recommendations. I have searched the world around NWI for the best Italian Beef sandwiches. I recommend that you head to Northside Tap in Valpo for their beef sandwiches or to Al's Beef in Schererville. Either place beats Portillos hands down.

Now, the main differences between the Northside Italian Beef and the Al's Beef is that the Northside sandwich is served in a bar with some traditional cut French Fries, Cole Slaw, and is served on thick, toasted garlic bread, with the Aus Jous on the side. You can't get it dipped.

Al's Beef, you can get dipped, and the bread is more a traditional Italian bread than Northside. Also, the beef is sliced thinner and with the Hot Gardinera, it will make you feel special inside.

So, those being the basics, I would recommend, you spend an extra thirty minutes and head to either of those places and get their Italian Beef. Portillos just sucks.

I have never carried into Northside because it is a bar and I prefer not to mix booze and guns, that's just me. I have OC'd to Al's and not had a problem.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    I agree with not going into there anymore. i'm near it all the time for work but feel no special reason to go in there. I can not say i've ever been impressed by their food. Hello from the NWI

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not surprised either. As you are well aware, a lot of people from Illinois think people from Indiana are stupid. That is probably why this no firearms policy has been carried over from the Republic of Chicago. It is to inform Hoosiers that Chicago is superior. Just do yourself a favor and don't bother going there anymore.

Now, let's talk sandwiches. Here are my recommendations. I have searched the world around NWI for the best Italian Beef sandwiches. I recommend that you head to Northside Tap in Valpo for their beef sandwiches or to Al's Beef in Schererville. Either place beats Portillos hands down.

Now, the main differences between the Northside Italian Beef and the Al's Beef is that the Northside sandwich is served in a bar with some traditional cut French Fries, Cole Slaw, and is served on thick, toasted garlic bread, with the Aus Jous on the side. You can't get it dipped.

Al's Beef, you can get dipped, and the bread is more a traditional Italian bread than Northside. Also, the beef is sliced thinner and with the Hot Gardinera, it will make you feel special inside.

So, those being the basics, I would recommend, you spend an extra thirty minutes and head to either of those places and get their Italian Beef. Portillos just sucks.

I have never carried into Northside because it is a bar and I prefer not to mix booze and guns, that's just me. I have OC'd to Al's and not had a problem.

wow...your sandwich knowledge leaves me speechless :D

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    wow...your sandwich knowledge leaves me speechless :D

Well, in actuality, it's my knowledge of Italian Beef Sandwiches. They are fantastic. Please be aware, that as far as Italian Beef Sandwiches go, the credit for the method of creating the sandwich is debated. However, it is known that Al's Beef is the first known restaurant to begin serving them.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I hadn't noticed before but it's been a couple months since I've been there looks like I'll have to eat at Pop's in Dyer they're just as good and cheaper too!

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Well, I am in NWI, so I will have to run down there to check out Heinz Beef. My friend just moved down to the South Side of Indy over the weekend, and I am going down there to party on Friday and Saturday. I will update as soon as possible.

I just OC'd at Strack's on 169th in Hammond. No problems.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    For your drooling pleasure.

The "Big Al" from Al's Beef in Schererville.

picture.php

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    *pencils the Big AL onto list*

Mmm... I'm gonna have to come back and look at that some more later.

Mmm. :)

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Al's and Pop's - both beat Portillos hands down. Portillos used to be great - although they are still good - they have shrinked over the years - maybe I would if I stopped eating at Al's and Pop's

VAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Merrillville Portillo's Sign

After dining at the Portillo's in Merrillville this afternoon I noticed a sign (a piece of printer paper taped to the front entrance) that said no wepons were allowed on the premisis regardless of permit. Violators are subject to trespass.... blah blah. I didn't have time to read the whole sign.

Just a heads up to all you Hossiers who are packin' that have a urge to be snackin' that you're no longer welcome at Portillo's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I am heading up to NWI this weekend. Looks like I need to make a stop at Al's.
    Anyone remember Puntillo's on Indianapolis Blvd. in East Chicago? The bar burned down many years ago, but they made an excellent Italian Long Beef. I've never found anyone who came close to making a sandwhich as good as theirs. But I will give Al's a try!!!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Yes , remember puntillo's great place to eat . I worked with the owners son at inland steel be for he died . We had many a party their.

Top Bottom