May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Nick mentions in the initial meeting about the packet, but I never saw or heard anyone talking about them before I had to leave. Tried to call someone to catch them before they left the shoot, but they didn't answer. (for obvious reasons)

I've PM'd Nick about sending $$ to have him mail a packet out to me, or 3; but, I imagine he's busy and has not been on yet. No PM so far.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Nick mentions in the initial meeting about the packet, but I never saw or heard anyone talking about them before I had to leave. Tried to call someone to catch them before they left the shoot, but they didn't answer. (for obvious reasons)

I've PM'd Nick about sending $$ to have him mail a packet out to me, or 3; but, I imagine he's busy and has not been on yet. No PM so far.

You can request them from ATF, I believe for free. I think this is the link

Distribution Center Order Form

Please don't quote me on this as I have never done it. Also most class 3 dealers have them, if you buy something from them they will have the proper forms for it.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also most class 3 dealers have them, if you buy something from them they will have the proper forms for it.

This.

If you're buying a can from a dealer, they should provide all the forms you need (Form 4 in duplicate, FBI print cards in duplicate, Citizenship verification form x1) with their portion of the Form 4 already filled in.

For other transactions, forms and print cards can be ordered directly from ATF at no charge (see post above).

mettle, what made you decide on the G5? Be advised that "quick detach" is a misnomer; cans of this type are more correctly called "fast attach"; detaching them - especially when they're hot and/or caked in carbon - can be considerably slower and more tedious.

A friend of mine has a G5, and I've shot it and picked his brain about it pretty extensively while I was going through my own .223 can buying process. Holler if you have specific questions.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    This.

If you're buying a can from a dealer, they should provide all the forms you need (Form 4 in duplicate, FBI print cards in duplicate, Citizenship verification form x1) with their portion of the Form 4 already filled in.

For other transactions, forms and print cards can be ordered directly from ATF at no charge (see post above).

mettle, what made you decide on the G5? Be advised that "quick detach" is a misnomer; cans of this type are more correctly called "fast attach"; detaching them - especially when they're hot and/or caked in carbon - can be considerably slower and more tedious.

A friend of mine has a G5, and I've shot it and picked his brain about it pretty extensively while I was going through my own .223 can buying process. Holler if you have specific questions.

I want a 'can' that I can buy a mount for, or two, that will slide on and off with a short twist. It looked like that one did that.

Also, I was gonna ask about this. Can the G5 model, be 'repaired' as you put it, with new internal parts when the time comes?

Is it fully cleanable?

I want one that can be:
    fully cleaned and maintained by me,
    rebuilt when it comes time to need it
    slide on a specific FH type mount that I can buy for 2 rifles and use the can on either.
    I like that 'locking lug' type lock down; BUT, is that secure, durable? Does it affect accuracy?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also, I was gonna ask about this. Can the G5 model, be 'repaired' as you put it, with new internal parts when the time comes?

Yes, by the manufacturer. They do this all the time for folks that have baffle strikes. I have yet to hear of an instance where a can needed to be rebuilt simply because it had worn out.

Is it fully cleanable?

No; it is fully welded, as are most .223 cans I'm aware of. I would debate the need to clean a suppressor beyond occasionally soaking it in WD40 and shaking/blowing out the loose carbon.

I want one that can be:
    fully cleaned and maintained by me,
    rebuilt when it comes time to need it
    slide on a specific FH type mount that I can buy for 2 rifles and use the can on either.

The only .223 can I'm aware of that can be disassembled for maintenance is the Tactical Innovations TAC-16, and it's only available in a thread-on design.

I like that 'locking lug' type lock down; BUT, is that secure, durable?

Yes and yes; moreso than some of the other mounting options out there.

Does it affect accuracy?
    IME, adding a suppressor will cause groups to tighten (that is, the gun will be "more accurate"), but will induce some amount of POI shift. With a lug mount, that shift is minimized and predictable, due to the can going on the same way every time.

My :twocents:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Yes, by the manufacturer. They do this all the time for folks that have baffle strikes. I have yet to hear of an instance where a can needed to be rebuilt simply because it had worn out.

No; it is fully welded, as are most .223 cans I'm aware of. I would debate the need to clean a suppressor beyond occasionally soaking it in WD40 and shaking/blowing out the loose carbon.

The only .223 can I'm aware of that can be disassembled for maintenance is the Tactical Innovations TAC-16, and it's only available in a thread-on design.

Yes and yes; moreso than some of the other mounting options out there.

IME, adding a suppressor will cause groups to tighten (that is, the gun will be "more accurate"), but will induce some amount of POI shift. With a lug mount, that shift is minimized and predictable, due to the can going on the same way every time.

My :twocents:

Ok, wasn't for sure how much they ever need 'rebuilt'. I guess, it comes down to location of a dealer and 'paperwork'. What model is it that has the locking lug? The flash hider model right?

Top Bottom