• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey everyone, I haven't read a lot about the 2013 LCP, so here is a little write-up with pics. Sorry if this is old for some of you. For those of you who don't know, Ruger silently updated the LCP in 2013. The main upgrades are new sights and an improved trigger.

For some context, I've been carrying my father's P3AT over the past year or so. I decided that I wanted to move to my own 380 and had the LCP on my list of replacements. After dry firing an LCP, I was sold.

I paid $300 out the door at the 1500 for a new LCP from ZX Guns. It included 1 magazine, 2 magazine floor plates, and a zippered soft case. One floorplate is flat, while the other is extended; the extended floorplate is not very comfortable in my hands and awkwardly pushes my pinky underneath. I'll be sticking with the flat for my pocket use. Here is a comparison:

iyj42d.jpg

I'm fairly certain that Mecgar makes the LCP mags, as they almost look identical to Keltec's magazines. Can you tell me which one is for the Ruger or Keltec? Notice the almost same ".380 Made in Italy" markings:

30u66na.jpg

I've discounted the LCP in the past due to it's trigger pull...a similar problem on the P3AT. I noticed that both had extremely long, hard trigger pulls. This complicates shooting with the miniscule sight radius. The new trigger is awesome, though. It is very crisp. Although it is heavy, the travel is very short compared to the P3AT and breaks fairly quickly. To confirm, I asked my roommate (who doesn't shoot), to try both. He said, "[the Keltec's] trigger feels like it is going on forever. However, [the Ruger] definitely feels crisper. I like [the Ruger] a lot more." I feel that the trigger alone will make a huge improvement in shooting ergonomics/shot placement. Ruger shortened the hammer travel and you can see this by looking at the hammer. Notice the Ruger's hammer position versus the P3AT's (which should be a similar position to an older LCP):

ngi6f.jpg

Another huge improvement are the new sights. Instead of the super low profile sights, they have drilled the notch deeper, giving a more distinct V shape. It also appears that the Ruger's sights are slightly taller, but that could be an illusion. At any rate, the sights are noticibly better than the P3AT's (and older LCP). It is a lot easier to draw a sight picture:

250scif.jpg

As far as weight goes, the LCP does feel slightly heavier than the Keltec. It is not a big difference, however. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe there is a 1 oz. weight difference between the two. I think this might be because Ruger used a different, possibly thicker plastic. The difference is noticeable in the hands; the Keltec feels almost toyish and flimsy (it's a little unerving to squeeze the side and the frame bends). The LCP feels solid in the hands and the thumb cutouts on the side feel more comfortable. When looking at the plastic thickness near the barrel, the Ruger looks noticeably thicker. I think it'll hold up better:

xkvlg7.jpg

Overall, I've been happy with my Keltec. It has been light, has held up to 700+ rounds without fail, and carries well. With the previous LCP version, I didn't think the LCP's price premium was justified. However, I think the newer model changes all of that. If I were in the market for a pocket .380, I think the $50 premium is absolutely worth it.

Thanks guys and let me know what you think! I will try to follow up once I actually shoot it, lol.

2cd0so.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I guess that the sights do look just a fuzz bigger on your LCP than the ones on mine. The hammer pic you posted does show a little less hammer travel than mine has, but not enough that I can see it making much difference in the trigger.

My biggest complaint about their pistol has always been the finish. Unless you get the Nickle plated slide, the finish will wear off in a few weeks of pocket carry, especially in the summer months.

The sights, unless they went with something like the S&W BG380, arent going to be much of an improvement either. They work OK, but at the distances that it would most likely be used, and the situations, I will imagine that stress and adrenaline will probably make me forget to even use them.

The biggest plus I can put in the LCPs favor, Hogue makes a Hybrid grip for the LCP, and it makes shooting the little gun much more tolerable, and accuracy made an honest improvement for me when I put it on.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I guess that the sights do look just a fuzz bigger on your LCP than the ones on mine. The hammer pic you posted does show a little less hammer travel than mine has, but not enough that I can see it making much difference in the trigger.

My biggest complaint about their pistol has always been the finish. Unless you get the Nickle plated slide, the finish will wear off in a few weeks of pocket carry, especially in the summer months.

The sights, unless they went with something like the S&W BG380, arent going to be much of an improvement either. They work OK, but at the distances that it would most likely be used, and the situations, I will imagine that stress and adrenaline will probably make me forget to even use them.

The biggest plus I can put in the LCPs favor, Hogue makes a Hybrid grip for the LCP, and it makes shooting the little gun much more tolerable, and accuracy made an honest improvement for me when I put it on.

It is all about perspective and what you're looking for. For me, the newer sights are a huge improvement over the old. Trigger-wise, I guarantee you'd notice a difference if you compared an old versus new LCP. If you have a chance to pick up a 2013 LCP in person, do it. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As for the Bodyguard, I'll pass. Bigger, safety, and a laser aren't exactly what I'm looking for in a pocket pistol.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've carried an LCP since they very first hit the market. I've seen no finish wear on the slide, and it still looks new. I like the new sights and I've never liked the trigger pull, but in an adrenalin fueled situation, I doubt I'd notice it at all. I'm thinking about upgrading mine to a new one, but then again I think why mess with what has worked just fine.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    My wife and I both have had LCPs for about 3 yrs now. I've never had any issue's with the trigger pull, after spending some time dry firing. Don't notice it at all.
    She on the other hand has had problems with the trigger pull due to arthritis in her strong hand. I bought her the "new improved" LCP for Christmas, and it made all the difference in the world for her. She's deadly with it practicing at 7 yrds.

The sights are definitely improved on the 2013 version.

Mine's been in my pocket for that two years, in a holster, and has very slight finish wear on the slide near the barrel. If that bothers you, they have a new version with a stainless slide. Mine has somewhere north of 1200 rnds through it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    wife cant sight her new LCP to save her life. Literally she's a foot off at 5m. I can take it and shoot it within 3" so its not the gun.

I painted her front ramp afterward, so we'll see what happens on the next visit. The nice thing is at 3m if she "points" it instinctively instead of aiming, she does some decent damage.

Too bad I cant convince her she should carry my 1911 or P89. She's dangerous with those.

Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have a newer LCP and carry it all the time. Think it is a great little gun. Trigger is OK once you get used to it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If the finish wore off that fast send it back to Ruger as something is wrong. I have a pair of LCP's and have carried one of them for 3 years now and the finish is fine on my slide. All pocket carry in a holster. I think the newer one might be a bit nicer over all but I don't see myself selling my older one to get a new one. As for the P3AT, it is toyish and a bit of a Saturday Night Special type pistol as are all KelTecs.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have ankle carried my LCP for about a year, and the finish is very worn on the back of the slide.

It doesn't affect function, and that is all I am concerned with on this particular gun.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Guess I got one that was special, for once. I am usually the guy with the craptastic one that has to return to the factory a few times before it is right. :)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    wife cant sight her new LCP to save her life. Literally she's a foot off at 5m. I can take it and shoot it within 3" so its not the gun.

I painted her front ramp afterward, so we'll see what happens on the next visit. The nice thing is at 3m if she "points" it instinctively instead of aiming, she does some decent damage.

Too bad I cant convince her she should carry my 1911 or P89. She's dangerous with those.

Crimson Trace Laser is perfect solution. My 2 cents.

She may also need some decent dry fire practice to get better with the trigger. It's far from a 1911 trigger.
    CTL and dryfire can tell on your real quick in how well you are handling the trigger.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Love my 2013 LCP. Pocket carry it all the time. When summer gets here, it will be my primary pistol when out on the bike.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Im starting to think that maybe I just had terrible luck with the finish on my LCP, that, or I have toxic sweat, lol.

I honestly wasnt too worried about the looks of it, but didnt want to have to deal with the slide rusting up every time I took it out of the safe. A quick strip, a trip through the blast cabinet, and a bath in the parkerizing solution, and it looks brand new. Not to mention the finish is just a little different than any other LCP I have seen. As far as up keep, if the parkerized finish gets too rough looking, another trip to the hot bath makes it look brand new again in just a few min.

As far as the new and improved trigger, Im sure its all well and good, and probably will attract a few new potential buyers. As for me, Im good with the old one, at least good enough that I wont be buying a new one just to get a better trigger.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have one of the newest models and one with a Sept 2013 fire date. The latest generation is an improvement. Im going to a large fishing store to get some glow in the dark lure paint to paint the front blade on the wife's new generation LCP. I will post pics when I get it completed.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    How can you tell if you have one of the newer one's? it there a date on them or some kind of marking?

The fire date on the envelope with the case that comes with your pistol will give you a good idea of date of manufacture. Another way would be to look up the serial number. I believe Ruger is one of the companies that has that data on their website. If not, a quick google search usually turns up some of the basic info on just about any gun serial number you can find.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    How can you tell if you have one of the newer one's? it there a date on them or some kind of marking?

For the new design models Ruger changed the serial number format. If your gun is a "dash" model - ie, your serial number is something like "317-457888" you've got the old design. New design serial numbers have no dashes.

Or check the sights - pictures abound on the web of the new design sights. :)

Top Bottom