• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    First, Texas bans Tesla because they won't use third party dealers. Now, New York doesn't want residents renting out their places on their own.

NY fights site listing homes for tourists to rent

I imagine there's more to the story. It has something to do with barring SUBLETS (renters, renting out their rented space to other renters) for less than 30 days when the actual renter isn't there. I imagine there's probably something about liability or something that the actual property owners don't want. I don't believe it applies to people who own the places themselves. Your link also says it's an investigation -- nothing has been banned yet...they just want the data.

Would you, as a landowner, want your property sub-rented out by a leasee for 30 day chunks when the leasee isn't around?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I imagine there's more to the story. It has something to do with barring SUBLETS (renters, renting out their rented space to other renters) for less than 30 days when the actual renter isn't there. I imagine there's probably something about liability or something that the actual property owners don't want. I don't believe it applies to people who own the places themselves. Your link also says it's an investigation -- nothing has been banned yet...they just want the data.

Would you, as a landowner, want your property sub-rented out by a leasee for 30 day chunks when the leasee isn't around?

First of all, I'd never be in the rental business. Second, the leasee is responsible for any damages. How is this any different than the leases having a slumber party?

This is about the government and the hotel industry not getting their cut.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    There are taxes imposed by states on hoteliers but sites like AirBnB.com are disrupting this business model and therefore the state isn't getting their cut. Same goes with Tesla and almost every state because without an in-state dealership Tesla skirts many of the taxes and fees associated with new car sales. Follow the money!

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    First of all, I'd never be in the rental business. Second, the leasee is responsible for any damages. How is this any different than the leases having a slumber party?

This is about the government and the hotel industry not getting their cut.

Simple...that "lessee" was out of town and I'm willing to bet there's no paperwork on these 30 days or less stays.

Secondly you're not in the rental business, fine, where did you read me mentioning YOU? I don't care what you are or what your opinion is on renting, it's entirely irrelevant and I never asked what your opinion was on renting. The fact of the matter is that lots of people rent out property. I don't know the reason, but your article does say the law existed first. So I guess that's why NYC is investigating.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thousands of city residents are using websites such as Airbnb.com to list apartments or rooms for as little as $35 a night, a phenomenon officials say is illegal in many cases, undercuts the hotel industry, avoids taxes and threatens apartment building safety.

That's all you need to know to know why the city's panties are all wadded up about this.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

I'd think from a liability and permissions standpoint it should be up to your rental contract and therefore the property owner, not the state. I imagine this is motivated by taxes; I doubt much of the income (however meager) from these sub rentals was getting reported properly.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Simple...that "lessee" was out of town and I'm willing to bet there's no paperwork on these 30 days or less stays.

Secondly you're not in the rental business, fine, where did you read me mentioning YOU? I don't care what you are or what your opinion is on renting, it's entirely irrelevant and I never asked what your opinion was on renting. The fact of the matter is that lots of people rent out property. I don't know the reason, but your article does say the law existed first. So I guess that's why NYC is investigating.

I'm not in the rental business either, but why do the actual property 'owners' need the State to protect them from sublets? If they don't want their leasees subletting they can just write that into the contract, no reason for the State to get involved.

NYC has the law in the first place because special interest groups bought it, and they are 'investigating' because this practice reduces the revenue of those groups.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not in the rental business either, but why do the actual property 'owners' need the State to protect them from sublets? If they don't want their leasees subletting they can just write that into the contract, no reason for the State to get involved.

NYC has the law in the first place because special interest groups bought it, and they are 'investigating' because this practice reduces the revenue of those groups.

I'm betting NYC has laws that allows renters to sub-let their apartments. If so, they're probably ok overruling the property owners' rights until they find it's undercutting tax revenues.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Just an FYI - there are communities in Indiana where it is illegal to rent your home for less than 6 months. The idea is to protect neighboring homeowners from living next to a defacto hotel. I don't necessarily agree with such laws but it's not like Indiana is any different.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just an FYI - there are communities in Indiana where it is illegal to rent your home for less than 6 months. The idea is to protect neighboring homeowners from living next to a defacto hotel. I don't necessarily agree with such laws but it's not like Indiana is any different.

Indiana isn't any different because people aren't different. Most don't value property rights.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The government should have nothing to say about this. Any concerns about subletting should be addressed by the property owners.

Don't want subletting in your building? Create a lease that does not allow subletting.

Security issue? Let the property owner handle it or change the rules.

Local hotels feeling cheated? City extortioners not getting their cut? Too bad.

Top Bottom