• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've recently inherited a Metal-Matic P-200 Turret Press. I'm still in the process of piecing everything together and making sure I have all the components I need before I start learning how to use it. That being said, do any INGOers have any experience with this or similar presses and have some anecdotes to share? Know some tricks that work or tried some that didn't?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    That's interesting. The picture looks just like a Ponsness Warren press I had once. PW called it a semi-progressive. I sold it to another INGO'er... hopefully he'll chime in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    That's interesting. The picture looks just like a Ponsness Warren press I had once. PW called it a semi-progressive. I sold it to another INGO'er... hopefully he'll chime in.

Ponsness Warren is the manufacturer. It doesn't seem to be extremely popular and I've only found one Youtube video that did a fairly good job describing the press itself and basic operation but I was hoping for someone here with some experience with it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought that bad boy from indygunguy. My dad had a PW and that's what I learned to load on. You can still get parts from PW. They are built like a tank and will last for tons of rounds. They are not made for rifle rounds, pistol only... So mine is currently set up for .458 SOCOM. All you need are a set of dies and a powder measure and you are all set.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Wanna sell it? Looks interesting, although I have no actual experience with them I've been trying to find one.

In all seriousness, it may not be the best press to learn on though. A straight forward single stage, like a rock chucker, has less things to possibly mess up. Be careful and double check everything, every step of the way.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I had one and got rid of it. Try as I might, I simply could not get it to stay adjusted properly. My OAL was AOTP (all over the place!). Bought a Lee Classic Turret with extra die plates and never looked back. Those PW's are built like a tank, though...they'd make for a good boat anchor. :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a lyman tmag II I bought off of an ingoer. Best thing I can tell you to do is get an extra turret so all you have to do is swap turret heads.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Wanna sell it? Looks interesting, although I have no actual experience with them I've been trying to find one.

In all seriousness, it may not be the best press to learn on though. A straight forward single stage, like a rock chucker, has less things to possibly mess up. Be careful and double check everything, every step of the way.

I'm not really interested in selling it. Thanks though.

I've heard the same advice from several other folks about using a single stage first. I have one but in reality I can simply use the turret press as a single stage until I get a feel for how the process works. That will have the added bonus of getting me more comfortable with each stage of the P-200 before I really begin using it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I will never sell mine... unless I get bit by the Blue bug. :): The extra turrets are handy. I have found it really doesn't take that long to readjust your dies once you switch calibers though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I will never sell mine... unless I get bit by the Blue bug. :): The extra turrets are handy. I have found it really doesn't take that long to readjust your dies once you switch calibers though.

Do you take one round through all stations before moving on to the next one or do you find that breaking it up makes things a little faster? I know mileage will vary but I'm curious about your experience.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    I complete each cartridge, then start over. I don't see the need to have a tray full of exposed powder.
    I spent 8 years as an 11C, and I assure you, burning powder is not good unless it's in a tube!:flamethrower:

Top Bottom