• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I just recently built my first AR and was wondering the advantage/disadvantage of steel cases versus brass? My friend only shoots steel ammo because it's cheaper but being in my line of work I know how much difference there is in hardness of shells. What if any is the long term effect, if any using steel?

Thanks! :ar15:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Advantage is price
    Disadvantage is accuracy

Some people say steel cases will (over time) wear out your chamber. I've seen no shred of evidence to believe these people. I shoot steel cases all of the time and have had no major malfunctions. IMO, it's all about what you want to use it for. If you're shooting competition or shooting for good groups, I'd probably go brass. For backyard plinking I'll go cheap steel all day long.

If your AR won't shoot steel cased ammo, I'd get rid of it. :twocents:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ill agree with the above post. All I shoot is steel case (silver/brown bear) through my AR's and WASR and I have never had a problem with them at all. My DPMS actually runs steel better than brass. For reason they get stuck in the chamber after the shot.:dunno:

I dont see any reason to not shoot steel if your just plinking. I would imagine you would have to shoot a TON of rounds ever see a dramatic change in chamber wear from running steel, and with the price ($100/500rds) it cant be beat. Again, I shoot it for plinking/target purposes only though, I never hunt with steel case.

Oh, and welcome to INGO!:ingo:

BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the input! I guess I'll have to get some rounds down the pipe myself and see what I think. Any recommendations on brands?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    TulAmmo is $4.97 at walmart. That's the cheap plinking rounds that I purchase.

I've heard good things about Wolf and it's made in the same factory as Tula. I think Wolf costs a bit more though.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Well I posted this a little bit ago but I guess my phone thought differently. I always shoot silver bear. Its always ran reliably for me and its about the cheapest on the market I've gotten it for as low as $100 for 500 rounds.

Top Bottom