• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    After owning a Ruger LCP II in 380 for almost a year now I decided it was time to try the 22lr version. Fired a few rounds to get the feel of firing it and then tried a few targets to get an idea of the accuracy potential. I was using CCI Mini Mag and shooting from a standing position at 7 and 15 yards. The group size at 15 yards I was satisfied with despite shots going right of center. The trigger on the LCP II is really stiff compared to the my 380 version. I was expecting it to be about the same.

Don't think the little LCP II is going to out shoot my 1971 PPK/S 22lr but for what it is , a tiny lightweight pistol with minimal sights and a stiff trigger it seems like it will still be a fun close range 22.

Attachments

• a 22 LCP II.jpg
      a 22 LCP II.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 23

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I picked one up this spring, I gotta say I'm impressed. At about 7 yards I can bounce soda cans and I haven't had any failures to feed or eject. I really like this little pistol!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I was profoundly disappointed the .22LR version has both a so-called "safety" lever and a magazine disconnect (neither of which the 380 version has). Hoping Ruger comes out with a "pro" version that has neither (but I'm not holding my breath). The safety lever design is very easy to inadvertently activate simply by cycling the slide.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I shot one for 15 rounds today at 21'.
    It shot 5-6 inches low for me when I shot a magazine.
    I then fired off 5 rounds trying to aim high to make up for the POI being so low for me.
    I then had to give the gun back & couldn't put 100 rounds through it like I would have liked.

I had thought of buying one since I have enjoyed shooting all the calibers of the small tip-up barrel guns that Beretta & Taurus made.
    At the end of last year I bought a used Beretta Bobcat & new Taurus PT .22LR tip-up barrels just for variety.
    Sold them like many others I'd had and decided I would just stick with the Beretta Tomcat Inox.32 acp that has been my favorite small pocket pistol.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I shot one for 15 rounds today at 21'.
    It shot 5-6 inches low for me when I shot a magazine.

In the above target the first one was at 21 ft. and the aiming point was just into the bottom portion of the orange section so the sights were well regulated at that distance. With such a tiny pistol ,small sights and short sight radius the sight alignment is really critical. I read one range report where the shooter had the exact opposite to you where he shot very high with his. On mine I wish the trigger was lighter and it had a dot front sight.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In the above target the first one was at 21 ft. and the aiming point was just into the bottom portion of the orange section so the sights were well regulated at that distance. With such a tiny pistol ,small sights and short sight radius the sight alignment is really critical.
    I read one range report where the shooter had the exact opposite to you where he shot very high with his.
    On mine I wish the trigger was lighter and it had a dot front sight.

When I saw your target I figured it was just my eyes & how I was aligning the itty bitty "pretend" front post the called a sight. :oldwise:
    If I could have shot it for a few magazines I could have found out if I could overcome whatever I was doing wrong.
    If I bought one the first thing I'd do is paint the front post, but I can hardly see it with my little Beretta Tomcat (but it is surprisingly accurate for me.

pic of Tomcat .32acp.
    Pm5UncW.jpg

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Contact Ruger they will make it right. Good customer service.

I did. They said there was nothing wrong with it. I took it out again, same problems. Sold it for dirt cheap and was up front with the buyer. I want to like the gun. I think the concept is a great idea.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I rented bit the Ruger LCP II .22 and the Glock 44. I have owned an M&P 22. The Ruger was no fun at all compared to either of those guns. I was planning on 100 rounds each in the Ruger & Glock the day I rented them and only got through 50 with the Ruger. Like I said, for me the Ruger is no fun. Too small for just a plinker and awful sights. Trigger not as good as the LCP II in .380.

If you like it, enjoy it. I'm not bringing one home.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I was considering the Glock 44 too but have never felt a more toy-like gun. I do agree about the trigger on the LCP II 22 not being as good as the 380.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I was considering the Glock 44 too but have never felt a more toy-like gun. ...

Know what you mean. The G44 was an engineering challenge for Glock to keep the striker fired mechanism (vs. hammer fired) and still have all the springs and mass balance out the .22 LR recoil impluse. Seems like the only way to make it work was to lighten the slide substantially.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was considering the Glock 44 too but have never felt a more toy-like gun. I do agree about the trigger on the LCP II 22 not being as good as the 380.

I totally get what you're saying.
    I didn't buy the Taurus TX22 for the same reason: "toy-like" in its feel.
    But, somehow the Glock 44 has captured my interest for shooting.
    It is too light, doesn't have a hammer, but I love it for reasons I don't understand.

It reminds me of my M&P®22 Compact Smith & Wesson, that I bought simply b/c it was made by SW & not Umarex like so many other .22LR of other manufacturers.
    I loved the SW M&P Compact & only sold it b/c of getting more expensive & accurate guns: Mark 3 or 4 series, Browning Buckmark & even the older SW 22A-1 & etc., like my SW 41 & Beretta 87T.

I have 2200 or 2400 rounds through it with only 7ish failures (from memory) & it just does what it does well.
    Even though it is too light with average accuracy & not have an option for putting on an optic.
    I've bought & sold alot of .22LRs but it is still on my "keeper" list. :dunno:

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I love my little LCP .22. Super accurate, utterly reliable. Shot 140 trouble free rounds(CCI) at the range yesterday. Fun stuff. I actually prefer the safety with the short trigger myself.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    But, somehow the Glock 44 has captured my interest for shooting.
    It is too light, doesn't have a hammer, but I love it for reasons I don't understand.

I have 2200 or 2400 rounds through it with only 7ish failures (from memory) & it just does what it does well.

Some guns are like that and I have read with interest your various range results with the G44. The reliability of yours has been quite good. I suppose I ought to see about renting one and see if I like it afterwards. One of my reasons for picking up the LCP II in 22lr was already having one in 380.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some guns are like that and I have read with interest your various range results with the G44.
    The reliability of yours has been quite good.
    I suppose I ought to see about renting one and see if I like it afterwards.
    One of my reasons for picking up the LCP II in 22lr was already having one in 380.

I have a friend that waited for me to sell my G44 and buy it, but much to his surprise (& mine), I still own it 6 months later (sometimes I buy, shoot & sell the same gun in the same week). :dunno:
    I loaned it to him to put 500 rounds through it one weekend & he did (w/o any failures if memory serves), & he bought his own & had as good of reliability as mine.
    He even ran alot more different ammo brands through it than me, including some lame ammo just to test the boundaries that he knew wouldn't work & that lame ammo wouldn't cycle the 44.

I understand getting the .22LR version to your .380, my friend & his wife both have Glocks so it really made sense to have a "trainer" .22LR.
    I have a Beretta Tomcat .32 acp & I bought a Beretta Bobcat .22LR to use to save money on running hundreds of rounds through at the range.
    In my case, I ended up selling the .22LR version of the Berettta tip-up barrel & just shooting the .32 less b/c I "needed" the money for other interests.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My friend just bought a LCP II 22LR we took it out fired 100rds through it. It had 1failure to eject within the 1st 10rds fired. Was using RWS Standard velocity. After that it ran fine the rest of the 90+ rds. I'm very impressed with this t little pistol so far.

Top Bottom