New Rem 700 owner, ammo recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • therealsethh27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    crown point
    Hey there, After years of looking I finally pulled the trigger on a Remington 700 BDL in 270win. serial number looks like it's a 1981. I've been hunting waterfowl and upland birds for 5 years now and will be trying my luck at deer this year (hopefully). Does anyone have any ammo recommendation for hunting deer and target practice? I've heard some guns like certain types of ammo and loads etc. My 870 doesn't always take Winchester super X well for example. any other advice for this rifle would be appreciated as well, I plan to take care of it forever and will be taking it apart and deep cleaning later this week.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hey there, After years of looking I finally pulled the trigger on a Remington 700 BDL in 270win. serial number looks like it's a 1981. I've been hunting waterfowl and upland birds for 5 years now and will be trying my luck at deer this year (hopefully). Does anyone have any ammo recommendation for hunting deer and target practice? I've heard some guns like certain types of ammo and loads etc. My 870 doesn't always take Winchester super X well for example. any other advice for this rifle would be appreciated as well, I plan to take care of it forever and will be taking it apart and deep cleaning later this week.
    Congratulations on a very nice rifle.
    I recently inherited the same rifle in .25-06.
    I have zero experience with the .270 caliber so I can't speak to that, but my .25-06 likes Hornady American Whitetail with a 117 gr interlock bullet

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just my two cents. I’ve had good outcomes with good quality 130 n 150 gr. hunting rounds. Practice before season with the round you choose, to get it sighted in. With a 150 yard sight in the rounds flat trajectory should give you all you need in Indiana. It’s a **** of a round. Check out some trajectory tables you can make a better decision on you’re distance needs. Good Luck.

Again just my two cents.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My Ruger shoots great with 130 grain anything. It shoots 150 grain good, not great. My son has my dad's 700. It shoots 130, 140, and 150 great.
    The round was designed for 130 grainers. The 150 grain was added because elk hunters wanted a heavier bullet.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My Ruger shoots great with 130 grain anything. It shoots 150 grain good, not great. My son has my dad's 700. It shoots 130, 140, and 150 great.
    The round was designed for 130 grainers. The 150 grain was added because elk hunters wanted a heavier bullet.
    My hand loaded are 130, they do all I could possibly ask. Drop in their tracks deer round.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Don't know loads, but sounds like you hit the ball out of the park with your choice, the only thing more iconic than a 700 in .270, would be a Winchester Model 70 in .270...Jack O'Conners favorite caliber... good luck, and good shooting....that will be your grandkids grandkids gun!!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The 130 Factory Loads have been just fine. I duplicate that load with Winchester 130PP bullets over 57Grains of Win 780 Supreme powder and a Federal Primer.

I have a supply of hand loads left but will be developing loads using the new StaBall line this winter.

IMG_9344.jpeg

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Congrats on what sounds like an Excellent purchase.
    Absolutely Love the Ol 270 Win & have a Rem 700 Sendero in that cal.
    As has been mentioned, 130 grainers are optimum in these parts.
    Good Luck & Good hunting!

Reactions: Mij

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Unless you're hand loading, look for a bullet that will do the job, but one that your rifle likes. I did an ammo test for my 7mm recently, and the 150 gr Winchester Power Points gave me a grouping over a foot in diameter at 100 yds, while Sellier & Bellot 173 gr SPCE's gave me a grouping smaller than a dime at 100 yds. Same rifle, same shooting technique, within 10 minutes of each other. My 308 on the other hand loved the Winchester Power Points.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Unless you're hand loading, look for a bullet that will do the job, but one that your rifle likes. I did an ammo test for my 7mm recently, and the 150 gr Winchester Power Points gave me a grouping over a foot in diameter at 100 yds, while Sellier & Bellot 173 gr SPCE's gave me a grouping smaller than a dime at 100 yds. Same rifle, same shooting technique, within 10 minutes of each other. My 308 on the other hand loved the Winchester Power Points.
    My M77 hated the Winchester, loves Remington Core Lokts. Barnes BT also great. SST's seem to be another good one. I need to shoot more of those first though. I handload btw.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom