• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I just posted this on another forum, so I thought I'd swing by and post it here too.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. My name is Shay and I'm the inventor of this product (I do not work for Raven though).

The VanGuard was not invented as a do-all holster. It is for niche needs such as for bags, backpacks and purses, pocket carry, the "gun under pillow" type situations and yes, even Mexican carry. I firmly advocate daily carry in a real holster, but there are times when off-body or sub-optimal carry is necessary for whatever reason.

After I came up with the idea, I built the first prototype for a friend that is a federal agent who travels to non-permissive countries for work. He sometimes gets issued a pistol but no holster when he gets there. Carrying a normal pistol holster in his luggage might raise eyebrows if found in a search, so the first official use of the VanGuard was to allow him to have something better than Mexican carry for his issued Glock. If you don't think situations like this happen every day somewhere in the world, believe me, they do.

Its sole purpose is to take an unsafe situation and make it safer by covering the trigger guard. It also allows one handed draw which is infinitely more important than one handed reholstering. It has the "horn" on the front as a backup to the lanyard in case the lanyard or attachment method fails. You can still remove the VanGuard by hooking the horn on your belt, a table edge or flicking it off with your support hand.

One final note, if you buy one, place it over the trigger guard from the bottom up; never from the front back. There is a chance of a negligent discharge if you have something in the trigger guard and place the Vanguard on in the direction of trigger travel. Say it with me:

IT GOES ON FROM THE BOTTOM UP.

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nice little gizmo you've got there. Reminds me a lot of what Mercop was doing with the knife sheath as well. Does look like the perfect alternative given the design parameters.

The only thing that pisses me off is that I just had dinner with Michael down at Knob Creek, and he says NOTHING about this, what a knob. I'll have to give him a kicking for that.

Tinman....

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Nice little gizmo you've got there. Reminds me a lot of what Mercop was doing with the knife sheath as well. Does look like the perfect alternative given the design parameters.

The only thing that pisses me off is that I just had dinner with Michael down at Knob Creek, and he says NOTHING about this, what a knob. I'll have to give him a kicking for that.

Tinman....

Regardless of the motive, Michael always needs kicking.

The VanGuard is officially out in the wild:
    The Malabar Front

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    i have a question will they be available for handguns other than glocks? per say, a 1911?

Not at this time. Glocks were the natural choice. I'm a Glock guy plus have only one size trigger guard across all models. 1911s often vary dimensionally.

If you hit the next Indy 1500 Raven would probably custom make you one that will fit your gun.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    OH i kicked him good this weekend he was up at classes this weekend with me

2994317838_67a3f58fc3.jpg

2993494865_cf84067cb8.jpg

Top Bottom