• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Both my boys received gun related Christmas gifts this year. I gifted my Ruger American compact to my youngest (18) who just completed his basic training at Fort Benning. He leaves next week for Fort Gordon for his job training, so it will have to remain at home. He already has his LTCH and really liked my RAPc, more so than I did. For my oldest, (20) we funded and started the process for his LTCH. He won't received it until he returns from college this spring. Both of them will take handgun courses this summer. While proud of them, I emphasize to them the huge responsibility it is to own a firearm, along with the need to know the laws. I think we have to many new and maybe some old gun owners who lack the proper responsibility and common sense needed. We see this nearly every time we visit the range.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Let me be the first to thank your youngest for his service!
    Hoping that this is the beginning of a long tradition of father/son bonding that can continue throughout your entire lives.
    --Rick

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    When I was at Ft Gordon (which has been a long time ago, 1992-3), you could have a handgun on post. You just had to register it with the provost marshal, if memory serves. Took about 5 minutes. Obviously, that might have changed over the years.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Thanks Rick, appreciate it. Were looking into taking it on base. It appears he can, not sure how much hassle it will be, and where it has to be kept. He will be there for 5 months for AIT (job training).

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    He can take it, but I am 99% sure it it will not be stored where he is living. It will be locked in the the armory and he will have to check it out when he wants to use it. If he is OK with everyone in the armory finger- f'ing it, then go ahead. Personally, I would not take it until he has finished AIT, is assigned to a more permanent location and living off base.

Dirty Steve

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He can take it, but I am 99% sure it it will not be stored where he is living. It will be locked in the the armory and he will have to check it out when he wants to use it. If he is OK with everyone in the armory finger- f'ing it, then go ahead. Personally, I would not take it until he has finished AIT, is assigned to a more permanent location and living off base.

Dirty Steve

THIS^^^

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't take the gun for AIT, take it when he gets his PCS assignment. Another member of the Signal Corps, best of luck to him. Also if plays golf he has to play the Ft. Gordon course, got to be one of the best military courses, well Augusta is the town so one can see why the golf course is so good.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Don't take the gun for AIT, take it when he gets his PCS assignment. Another member of the Signal Corps, best of luck to him. Also if plays golf he has to play the Ft. Gordon course, got to be one of the best military courses, well Augusta is the town so one can see why the golf course is so good.

Thanks, you guys solidified the way I was leaning. Better all around to just leave it here, he is good with that also. Besides, if it's here, I can use it. I might have to make a trip down to try out the course. I played the Ft. Benning course a couple weeks ago when we were there for graduation. Wasn't that great, but given it was 15 degrees here and a foot of snow on the ground, I was just happy to be playing.

Top Bottom