• ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    After spending over an hour cleaning the stickiest, nastiest grease of my new CZ got her to the range this morning. Trigger is very stiff, DA was tough to control, SA was just fine. I don‘t recall my SP01 trigger being this stiff when I got it but hopefully nothong that anfew hundred rounds won’t cure (SP01 smoothed out nicely). All from 7 yards, 5 rnd groups all with 1st rnd DA. The 147 gr Winchester JHP gave the best group on this target.

7C8BE977-731F-469B-AFA7-FD71578A4390.jpeg
    Second target I seem to be low and left but mostly better groups. Got the SP01 out for a quick comparison

the bottom thee were DA double tap #4 then SA double tap #3. #5 was slow SA double tap.

28818DFD-D48C-4E89-A427-848C442DE0DA.jpeg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You will want to contact the Wizard and have him install some Cajun parts and perform his standard magic ... the results are night and day different. He's not far from you in Lafayette.

Simply order the Cajun parts he recommends, drop off the parts and the pistol, wait about a week, meet again, pay the Wizard, and start enjoying what the PCR is truly meant to be.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    You'll LOVE the PCR! It's my favorite of all the CZ compact models (to be fair, it's really my favorite of the entire CZ lineup). If you're on a budget, I would humbly suggest the Cajun Gunworks Ultra-Light Kit. I've done 4 or 5 of these installs now and with a little patience, it doesn't take much more than 1/2 an hour. It's truly the best $50 or so you can spend to make the shooting experience with the trigger immeasurably better than stock.

This should be the kit for the PCR: CGW Ultra-Light Kit

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    It was definitely a huge splurge to get my PCR Cajunized by the Wizard ... more than I've ever spent improving a pistol from factory.

My trouble with the factory setup was that I wasn't able to reliably operate the first double action shot ... no matter how smoothly I pressed the trigger, I couldn't reliably keep the pistol on target. The other issue was the factory trigger was nibbling away at my trigger finger ... the curve was just too much, and the trigger itself too narrow, for my sensitive trigger finger to endure.

Now, the pistol is an absolute joy to shoot. I can keep my first double action shot on target and the trigger feels awesome. Truth be told, it did take a bit of retraining for follow up (single action) shots to keep my trigger finger lightly engaging the trigger so that the recoil didn't send a round down range before I was ready for it to go there.

Now to get some fancy grips and I'll be all done upgrading this pistol ...

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My SP01 definitely improved with use and i am now pretty decent with the first DA shot. I want to put at least a few 100 rnds through the PCR before I change any thing.

I got some 45 for the new old gun and it has really surprised me. Here are the first four 5 rnd groups from 7 yds. All SA as its not a decocker will sit in the workshop safe in condition one

Not too bad for a 20 yr old inexpensive pistol and an old half blind guy.
    3D9439A6-5218-45FF-91E7-FA81A0F1D77B.jpeg 34BFFE3B-C7CB-4413-90AC-1E2E0A0CD210.jpeg 3B501108-0756-4883-9C56-D52ED63400AB.jpeg FF2C5ABB-9E38-4B78-8F57-1FFB4A226F36.jpeg D853C20A-92D2-43A1-BDA4-F557AD8EB21E.jpeg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    You'll LOVE the PCR! It's my favorite of all the CZ compact models (to be fair, it's really my favorite of the entire CZ lineup). If you're on a budget, I would humbly suggest the Cajun Gunworks Ultra-Light Kit. I've done 4 or 5 of these installs now and with a little patience, it doesn't take much more than 1/2 an hour. It's truly the best $50 or so you can spend to make the shooting experience with the trigger immeasurably better than stock.

This should be the kit for the PCR: CGW Ultra-Light Kit
    Is this something I can do without screwing my pistol up? I am ok field striping, cleaning and oiling but usually leave anything more complex to professionals.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Is this something I can do without screwing my pistol up? I am ok field striping, cleaning and oiling but usually leave anything more complex to professionals.
    I like to tinker so for me, especially the first time, it was a matter of going slow and paying careful attention. It is imperative that you have the right tools for the job, especially proper punches. Some roll pins are hollow. Some are solid. I have two different sets. For hollow roll pins, punches with the small rounded tip ends are fantastic at keeping the punch from walking around as you're driving the pins out. I also like to keep a roll of electrical tape handy so I can mask of any risky areas and avoid making idiot scratches. I even use electrical tape under the slide stop when I re-assemble 1911s, which I don't consider "smithing" but you get the idea.

There's absolutely no shame in paying an experienced CZ smith to do it for you. Self-inflicted wounds are the worst! Like putting the first ding in your brand-new car.

Last edited:

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    After spending over an hour cleaning the stickiest, nastiest grease of my new CZ got her to the range this morning. Trigger is very stiff, DA was tough to control, SA was just fine. I don‘t recall my SP01 trigger being this stiff when I got it but hopefully nothong that anfew hundred rounds won’t cure (SP01 smoothed out nicely). All from 7 yards, 5 rnd groups all with 1st rnd DA. The 147 gr Winchester JHP gave the best group on this target.

View attachment 153045
    Second target I seem to be low and left but mostly better groups. Got the SP01 out for a quick comparison

the bottom thee were DA double tap #4 then SA double tap #3. #5 was slow SA double tap.

View attachment 153046

No one seems to have an authoritative answer on why the DA trigger pull on a PCR can be noticeably heavier than a SP01. Some say there is no difference. The internals of PCR and SP01 are the same and interchangeable (except for the recoil spring). Since DA trigger pull is primarily determined by tension of the Hammer/main spring, it's likely that your PCR has a heavier Hammer spring than your SP01.

Since you are shooting ok with your SP01, you may consider putting the Hammer spring of your SP01 in the PCR and see if that makes a significant difference. If so, just get a 15# Hammer spring from CGW or CZ Customs and no need to make other mods. They cost only a few bucks. If you get a 13# Hammer spring, installing an extended firing pin (and firing spring that comes along with it) is recommended to reduce the likelihood of light primer strikes. Replacing the Hammer spring won't help with trigger grittiness. That will smooth out when you put more rounds through the gun.

To get a sense of whether you feel comfortable replacing the Hammer spring, I suggest taking a look at

CGW 11.5# hammer spring - YouTube

which demonstrates the simplest method. It's shown for a SP01 Tactical but will work exactly the same for the PCR. There is a potential inaccuracy in the video where in the last step of reassembly the magazine glide easily slides into the Hammer spring plug. In my SP01, it did not. There is, however, a simple trick to make it slide in. Just ask if you decide to go this route and encounter a problem. Good luck.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have had full blown cajunized CZ compacts/P-01's and while the DA is great, I find the SA to be too light for my taste for defensive work. TJ Kackowski previously mentioned the need to retrain to prevent unintended double taps.

I bought my last CZ Compact from a friend and it came with an uninstalled 'Apex Action Enhancement Kit'. I installed it and love it. This kit does little to the SA pull but brings the DA pull weight down to ~ 2lb more than the SA. This provides a very sweet defensive trigger IMHO.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Thanks all!

This will be my EDC once I am used to it and it is broken in. I like having a firmer DA in my EDC so if anything would not want to lighten it much if at all. Planning on running 100-200 rnd throught it today or a little later this week. If I can get it to where my SP01 is I would be happy.

does anyone know offhand what the stock hammer spring weight is?

Thanks, INGO again shows its expertise and willingness to share:bowdown:

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    Thanks all!

This will be my EDC once I am used to it and it is broken in. I like having a firmer DA in my EDC so if anything would not want to lighten it much if at all. Planning on running 100-200 rnd throught it today or a little later this week. If I can get it to where my SP01 is I would be happy.

does anyone know offhand what the stock hammer spring weight is?

PCR factory hammer spring weight is 20#. SP01's spring rate will likely fall between 17-20# but that's not saying much.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Not a fan for light triggers for street carry but then again let your determined and measured skill set enable the best trigger for you. Too many shooters bypass mastering a stock action and go right for the tweaks. Trouble can follow.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Not a fan for light triggers for street carry but then again let your determined and measured skill set enable the best trigger for you. Too many shooters bypass mastering a stock action and go right for the tweaks. Trouble can follow.
    Neither am I and one of the reasons I got rid of my Walther—no safety and a very light factory striker (but I shot that little sucker pretty well). Which is why I want to see what it feels like after 500-1000 rnds before considering doing anything.

The other reason I got the PCR was to have all my defensive weapons with similar feel/controls. So if the trigger feels noticibly heavier than my SP01 once it is well broke in I may consider a lighter spring. My SP01 is by no means a light DA trigger, but is currently lighter and smoother than the PCR.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I’ve been down this road, too. CGW does do great work, but I’ve decided to leave anything I’d carry for SD stock for two reasons:

1. Modifications are just another potential avenue for prosecutorial shenanigans.

2. If it’s gonna potentially end up being held hostage as evidence, it’s best it be easily replaceable.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’ve been down this road, too. CGW does do great work, but I’ve decided to leave anything I’d carry for SD stock for two reasons:

1. Modifications are just another potential avenue for prosecutorial shenanigans.

2. If it’s gonna potentially end up being held hostage as evidence, it’s best it be easily replaceable.
    For point #2, make sure you have more than 1...

But understood. I don't have much custom work done either.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love the feel of a well tuned CZ. But, I’ve learned that with the decockers, you really need to be careful with mods on a carry gun. My P01 dropped to below 2# with a full CGW kit and polish. It was a fantastic shooter but was no longer an EDC gun.

I’d really like to pick up a PCR one of these days. They seem like the perfect EDC in CZ’s lineup.

Top Bottom