• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    so the soon-to-be Mrs. got me a stripped RRA lower for christmas to do whatever i please. i've shot a lot of ar's and pretty much know what i want to put on it. but first, the pars kits. i've read about the mil-specs and im not sure what to buy. the trigger systems and buttstocks come in commercial and mil-spec. i know mil-spec means military specifications so the mil-specs would be interchangeable. if i got a commercial stock for cheaper, what are the disadvantages?

thanks!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'm working on my first AR build, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the parts need to match the lower. If the lower is Mil-Spec, the parts kit and other parts have to be Mil-Spec, if the lower is commercial spec, the parts kit and buffer tube and stock need to be commercial spec.

Can anyone else confirm I've got it right? For my own sake as well as the OP.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    so the soon-to-be Mrs. got me a stripped RRA lower for christmas to do whatever i please. i've shot a lot of ar's and pretty much know what i want to put on it. but first, the pars kits. i've read about the mil-specs and im not sure what to buy. the trigger systems and buttstocks come in commercial and mil-spec. i know mil-spec means military specifications so the mil-specs would be interchangeable. if i got a commercial stock for cheaper, what are the disadvantages?

thanks!

this is the best bang for your buck ive seen yet.

MOE Lower build kit

This is a good place for parts in general.

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    Consider Spikes Tactical. Thier parts kits are made by the same company that supplies Colt's LPKs. They also have awesome Tech support. I tried one of their enhanced LPKs that have a Boron coated hammer and trigger. It feels smoother then a NM trigger!

vietboy1st

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Boston, MAss
    if your lower is commercial can you able to put in milspec trigger kit ? And how do you know if your lower is a commercial ? Got picture to tell the differences ? I know about the stock. I thought lower comes in 1 size..

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Lowers are 1 size. The threads for the receiver extension (buffer tube) are all the same size. Commercial or milspec extensions will both thread into the lower receiver.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Consider Spikes Tactical. Thier parts kits are made by the same company that supplies Colt's LPKs.

Not to be an ass but can you provide proof of that statement?
    I have yet to see any of the various vendors come right out and say where the parts in their LPK come from.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    agreed, explain why i wouldnt want a 2-stage

While we're waiting for loony1 to respond I'll tell you the typical reasons why some people frown on the use of a two stage trigger on a combat rifle. It's usually about safety or function. Sometimes both.

Regarding safety, two stage triggers are usually light triggers. Usually 4 1/2 pounds or less. Some people think that is too light for a combat trigger. To that I say with the safety on and your finger off the trigger that is no concern. I don't see how a stiff single stage will make all the difference between a ND and safe operation.

There is also the concern of function. Many fancy, accuracy oriented two stage triggers are adjustable having set screws that can potentially come unadjusted under heavy use. We wouldn't want our rifles to become inoperable in a gun fight because the trigger came out of adjustment. There is some merit to that when talking about match triggers. However, two stage triggers such as the Geissele SSA are combat ready. The SSA has a 2.5 pound first stage and a 2 pound second stage with no adjustments. They look and install like any mil-spec trigger and use a full power hammer spring so light primer strikes are of no concern. I've heard that there are other two stage triggers such as the KAC trigger that are combat worthy. If this is so It is outside my realm of experience. I'll also say to be leary of RRA's two stage. They have a tendency to turn into mushy single stage triggers over time.

It should also be noted that two stage triggers are not uncommon in military use through history. Some examples are the 1917 Enfield, M1 Garand and M14. That should tell us something about the worthiness of a two stage trigger.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If your building an AR check out Class 3 sales this weekend huge sale on AR accessories!! yes most of the parts we carry are mill spec. There are no power parts kits in stock right now but plenty of other add on's are available.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I didn't realize that, thanks!

So what dimensions are different on a Mil-spec vs. Commercial buffer tube?

There are also "cheaper" "milspec" size extensions.....the ones you see for around $25.
    They are made out of the cheaper alloy same as the commercial ones.

Here is a good read.......

Buffer Tube Basics - M4Carbine.net Forums

Buffertube_Specs.jpg

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    While we're waiting for loony1 to respond I'll tell you the typical reasons why some people frown on the use of a two stage trigger on a combat rifle. It's usually about safety or function. Sometimes both.

Regarding safety, two stage triggers are usually light triggers. Usually 4 1/2 pounds or less. Some people think that is too light for a combat trigger. To that I say with the safety on and your finger off the trigger that is no concern. I don't see how a stiff single stage will make all the difference between a ND and safe operation.

There is also the concern of function. Many fancy, accuracy oriented two stage triggers are adjustable having set screws that can potentially come unadjusted under heavy use. We wouldn't want our rifles to become inoperable in a gun fight because the trigger came out of adjustment. There is some merit to that when talking about match triggers. However, two stage triggers such as the Geissele SSA are combat ready. The SSA has a 2.5 pound first stage and a 2 pound second stage with no adjustments. They look and install like any mil-spec trigger and use a full power hammer spring so light primer strikes are of no concern. I've heard that there are other two stage triggers such as the KAC trigger that are combat worthy. If this is so It is outside my realm of experience. I'll also say to be leary of RRA's two stage. They have a tendency to turn into mushy single stage triggers over time.

It should also be noted that two stage triggers are not uncommon in military use through history. Some examples are the 1917 Enfield, M1 Garand and M14. That should tell us something about the worthiness of a two stage trigger.

since you have all of the answers why are you asking me:dunno:, you answered your own question:cool:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    since you have all of the answers why are you asking me:dunno:

I'm genuinely interested in your response. That's why I asked. I wanted to wait till you responded so I could be more specific than I was but another poster had the same question so I offered my take on it. It was not my intention to offend. Did I cover what you were going to say?

Top Bottom