• ...and so much more!
  • ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    Hi ya'll. Its me again with a question.
    So, I graduated college this past weekend and as a gift the bf is getting me a new gun.
    We have it down to three options, but Im looking for some input from people who've owned them and what they think.

my first choice is the S&W Bodyguard 380.
    the bfs is the Ruger LC380
    and the last choice is the Walther PK380 (this made the list because I love my walther p22)

If you've had any of these what did you like/hate about it. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

Ian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    If I may throw in a suggestion for the Sig p238, I'll say it is very light on recoil, and the slide is very easy to rack. It has the same controls as a 1911, so SA trigger and thumb safety. I find it to be comfortable and accurate. Haven't carried it yet, and I'm not sure how I feel about having to remember to sweep off the safety in an emergency. But it's a quality piece for sure.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Of your choices, all are reputable manufacturers who stand behind their products. I would throw in the suggestion of a Walther PPK or PPK/s (they are bascially the same gun except the PPK/s is a litttle bigger and carries one extra round in the clip). Both are tried and true classics with 80+ years in the field. They are all steel. They slide easily into a pocket. They are double or single action. Plus they are cool enough for James Bond. New ones are made by Smith and Wesson, under license from Walther. Good luck. Congratulations on your graduation! Let us know what you decide.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I really like my Bodyguard .380. The design had a few teething problems early in its release, but anything after serial# EBBxxxx ought to have the changes and be GTG (I've owned 2 of them, an EBB and an EBG and although I traded the EBG neither one has had any problems). Very good sights (and very good accuracy because of them) for a BUG gun, carries well in a pocket or in one of the many holsters available for it, and more comfortable to shoot (for me) than the various other .380's I tried (except the SIG P238, which is quite a bit more expensive). Looooooong trigger pull, though.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Ok, I know you're asking for opinions about the S & W, Ruger and Walther .380 pistols; which I don't own, or any .380s.
    But I wondered... have you shot a .380?

For me .380 pistols weren't fun to shoot and not very accurate. Of course, that isn't everyone's experience.
    The jolt from shooting a .380 caused me to change my mind and buy a compact 9mm pistol--very comfortable and accurate in my hands. And the compact 9mm is easy to OC or CC.

My concern is that you don't go buy something and not like it. :( So please do TRY it before you buy one if you haven't. Like buying a car--test drive it first.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Without knowing what handguns you have I would keep using the 938 for summer and get something a little bigger to carry for when the weather cools down. I don't really see what you would gain with the the listed 380s being the relative size to the 938.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If possible, try shooting all three. If not, see if you can at least do a 'side-by-side' comparison at a LGS.

Head there, pick up each one using your 'normal' (whatever that means for you) shooting grip. Look for a target (usually somewhere in the ceiling) a distance away that appears about the size of your thumbnail, give or take.

Sight each gun at that 'target'. Which one of the 3 just seems to 'naturally' point at that target, and the sights just seem to 'fall' on that target and 'hang' there?

Whichever gun does that best for you, that's the one you should buy.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Try to hold as many guns as you can. Shooting them would be even better. Pick what feels best to YOU. While it's good to listen to your BF, especially if he is knowledgeable on guns, you are the one who will be carrying it. Your opinion counts most!

Good luck!

ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    Mima- I have shot a 380. I like it better than the 9.
    I have: HK 416. Walther P22, Sig P239, Ruger 10/22, FN 57, LCP, ruger sr556. (I realize not all are handguns) the LCP is now the bfs.

If i could get away with carrying the 556 or the 416 I would because i love them way more than any of my handguns.

I dislike my 938 thats why im looking. The bf loves it. I dont like the bigger handguns. I have tiny hands and trying to carry something large is awkward for me.

ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    Ive 'molested' all of them listed. its how they made the "final round"

But not owning them i was just looking for long term owner comments. "great in beginning, feed issues, etc"

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If you like your P22 and are comfortable with it, I would get the PK380, should have a similar feel. That being said, my dad has 2 S&W Bodyguards and he loves them, I like to shoot them too. I have a Ruger SR9 and it's AWESOME. So Ruger is GTG in my book too.:twocents:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Personally, if I was looking for a .380, I would want to take some advantage of the ability to get a smaller gun, but I don't like tiny guns.

That leaves us with the LC380, in my book.

The Smith is very small and very light. It's a good gun, and easy to conceal, but is not going to be as fun to shoot as a larger gun and is goung to be a bit snappy, even in .380 , at less than 12 ounces.

The Walther is a fine gun, no doubt, but at 6.5" long, 5.2 high and 19.4 ounces, I'd start wondering why I'm not getting a compact 9mm.

The LC380 is on the LC9 platform making it larger than the LCP, easier (and more fun) to shoot, but still a 1/2 inch shorter than the Walther in both height and length. You also save a couple of ounces. It has a nice, smoothly rounded profile which makes concealed carry all the easier.

- One caveat, as long at the long double action pull of the LC380 is to your liking, I would take a hard look at that one (but there are trigger improvements available).

I think you'd be very pleased with either of the larger guns...which really aren't that big anyway.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If you like your P22 and are comfortable with it, I would get the PK380, should have a similar feel.

I have owned and shot both the Ruger and the S&W and prefer the Bodyguard 380 for overall grip size and comfort.

There is a very good article on "pocket pistols" in this month's American Rifleman. It goes into good detail on the limitations and such of the smaller pistols.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Hi ya'll. Its me again with a question.
    So, I graduated college this past weekend and as a gift the bf is getting me a new gun.
    We have it down to three options, but Im looking for some input from people who've owned them and what they think.

my first choice is the S&W Bodyguard 380.
    the bfs is the Ruger LC380
    and the last choice is the Walther PK380 (this made the list because I love my walther p22)

If you've had any of these what did you like/hate about it. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

I've had bodyguard and LC380. LC 380 is cute but not an easy shooter. Never shot a PK380 but hear great things. I ccw a PPK which I would never recommend but I've learned to shoot it well and just love it. Let me through in a tidbit and suggest you check out the Kahr cm9. Had one and thinking of getting another. Shoots better than my PPK.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I love my bodyguard 380 and carry it in my front pocket wherever I go. It is up close and personal protection only. The Walther will let you reach out farther but would have to go inside the waist or ankle to conceal. And would be a better option if that is how you plan to carry, but the best is option is both.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    A Walther PK380 as an alternate carry for the Sig P938? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

If you have the P938 already, the only reason to buy a .380 would be to get one that is really really small.

FWIW, the Taurus TCP 738 shoots much easier than the LCP. Much.

Top Bottom