• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I picked this Colt up from a friend of mines neighbor who carried this during the Vietnam war. From what I was told he was in a Special Forces unit during the time we were unofficially in Laos, and Cambodia. The Gentleman said he slept with this pistol on his chest at night, and it had saved his life several times. It has a 6 digit serial number (407,XXX) which from what I can decode dates this pistol to 1918. I do not see any arsenal refurb marks on it anywhere, but if someone out there has information on it I would greatly appreciate it. My biggest question is in regards to the finish since I am not exactly sure what it is or was for that matter ??

picture.php

picture.php

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Now that is cool. Almost looks like the pistol may have been dipped in something, perhaps to help prevent rust in the Jungles.

I have a WWII enfield that has a green snot like stuff with a similar tint on the metal under the wood, and from what I could find it was something that rifles were dipped in or it was brushed on to prevent rust in salty, humid air.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    After a complete tear down the only thing I found is that the front sight is not correct for the year, and the hammer appears to be incorrect as well. Under the grips it appears the pistol was at one time blued, but I'm not sure why it looks as it does now.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    After a complete tear down the only thing I found is that the front sight is not correct for the year, and the hammer appears to be incorrect as well. Under the grips it appears the pistol was at one time blued, but I'm not sure why it looks as it does now.

There is still a hint of blueing on it toward the front of the slide, and my guess is that there's enough of it left everywhere else that it's left that tint and still prevents rust.

It's a pre-A1, so it could be that early.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Weapon has been re-worked, note the Commander hammer.

Perhaps someone tried plum brown from Birchwood Casey instead of bluing?

Just not sure ?? I do know the hammer is incorrect as is the front sight, but if I am not mistaken older 1911's had issues with the front sights falling out ?? Besides those two things everything else is original, but only an expert could determine that I suppose.... I may have it refinished, depending on it's current value as is since I do not plan on ever getting rid of it.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    please tell me you were kidding?

NEVER refinish or polish a gun like this unless yuo care nothing about its collectability and true historic ambiance.

While I do agree with you 100%, the only way I would refinish this pistol is if it's current finish was anything other the original which is what I am trying to figure out. If it has been molested already its value has already been affected negatively. I picked this pistol up for a very, very, very fair price so hopefully I can figure out it's true history, and make a decision from there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    While I do agree with you 100%, the only way I would refinish this pistol is if it's current finish was anything other the original which is what I am trying to figure out. If it has been molested already its value has already been affected negatively. I picked this pistol up for a very, very, very fair price so hopefully I can figure out it's true history, and make a decision from there.

depends on how long ago the refinish was done. looks like the finish has a nice patina. very nice pistol. I am looking for one like it myself. maybe this weekend I will bring a new one home. :dunno:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Regardless of collectability, that is hands down the coolest looking handgun I've seen. If the "finish" is stable then I'd leave it as is. Awesome piece, and did I mention that it's the coolest looking handgun I've ever seen? It isn't flashy, it's coolness comes from wreaking of reliability, and surviving with ease what sounds to have been a rough life.

Maybe I'm getting to wrapped up with appearences on this once but "Darn Son!"

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It's a definite 1911 frame (not A1). It would have had a blue finish out of the factory. I've seen a lot of these whose original blue has browned with age, with the glare it's hard to tell. If he carried it, it hadn't been G.I. for quite a while as all the G.I. guns were reworked in the '20's with the new mainspring housing and trigger. This old of a 1911 would also have had a half moon sight and the beaver-tail hammer.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Your pistol would have had a "rough" blue finish when new, to collectors they are known as "Black Army's." The last several polishing steps were skipped to speed production. The rear sight has been replaced, but your pistol would not have had the "half moon" rear sight, Colt quit using them in late 1913. The finish on your pistol would have looked very much like the finish on the Colt 1918 reproduction.

1918Repro.jpg

And all the M1911s were not reworked in the 1920's (they weren't rebuilt that early) and of those rebuilt not all of them received the "A1" updates. I have an arsenal rework, it was Parkerized, received a new slide and had the wood stocks replaced, it did not get the arched mainspring housing, nor the short trigger, etc.

Ithaca.jpg

IthacaII.jpg

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Who carried this during the Vietnam war. From what I was told he was in a Special Forces unit during the time we were unofficially in Laos, and Cambodia. The Gentleman said he slept with this pistol on his chest at night, and it had saved his life several times.

picture.php

picture.php

With this story, I would have to leave it alone!:twocents:It's earned that right IMHO!:patriot:

Top Bottom