• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hmm I was always trained that it starts at the 100m and then going through the switch it looses some because that 100m is now being used for all devices plugged into that switch as in if all were in the router each would get 100 but now each is feeding off 1 100m source. But if the main router has multiple ports then each port is sending out 100.

Would think that feeding a switch off another switch would be even more loss...

Keep in mind I have no wall plates with connections... All home runs straight into the devices... I know I am pickier then most.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hmm I was always trained that it starts at the 100m and then going through the switch it looses some because that 100m is now being used for all devices plugged into that switch as in if all were in the router each would get 100 but now each is feeding off 1 100m source. But if the main router has multiple ports then each port is sending out 100.

Would think that feeding a switch off another switch would be even more loss...

Keep in mind I have no wall plates with connections... All home runs straight into the devices... I know I am pickier then most.

Don't you only need one switch and one router?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I would plug the main router(3000) into the cable modem only (everything will be behind the router's firewall). Into the 3000, the Gb switch and anything that is 100Mb or does not need Gb speeds (like the weather links and the other router that is setup like a switch or bridge). This will free up Gb ports for the future. Then plug the big stuff into the Gb switch. I would try to get streaming media connected via wire if possible. Your bottleneck should be the internet connection(unless it is HUGE).

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The router or switch should have a backbone capable of the full speed of all the ports. 8Gb ports should have an 8Gb backbone. When you plug 2 switches together, then it would be limited to the 1Gb port speed.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would plug the main router(3000) into the cable modem only (everything will be behind the router's firewall). Into the 3000, the Gb switch and anything that is 100Mb or does not need Gb speeds (like the weather links and the other router that is setup like a switch or bridge). This will free up Gb ports for the future. Then plug the big stuff into the Gb switch. I would try to get streaming media connected via wire if possible. Your bottleneck should be the internet connection(unless it is HUGE).

You could do that, it has been my experience that some non-business level hardware makes it difficult to have the router act as dhcp server and pass ip address through a switch without the switch trying to do the same thing, thus causing ip conflict. If you were going to ran a gigabit LAN, you can go with your plan providing you don't get ip conflicts, or you can search for a use 24 or 48 port Cisco switch pretty inexpensively...that gives you complete control via command line(and web control to be more user friendly) but trade off is it won't be gigabit. Can you even run a gigabit wireless setup?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The router or switch should have a backbone capable of the full speed of all the ports. 8Gb ports should have an 8Gb backbone. When you plug 2 switches together, then it would be limited to the 1Gb port speed.

Trunk it together?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    In layout #2, your cable modem is acting as you main DHCP server. Put the switch behind your main router, or else the routers firewall will block all of you wired devices from you wireless devices.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You could do that, it has been my experience that some non-business level hardware makes it difficult to have the router act as dhcp server and pass ip address through a switch without the switch trying to do the same thing, thus causing ip conflict. If you were going to ran a gigabit LAN, you can go with your plan providing you don't get ip conflicts, or you can search for a use 24 or 48 port Cisco switch pretty inexpensively...that gives you complete control via command line(and web control to be more user friendly) but trade off is it won't be gigabit. Can you even run a gigabit wireless setup?

Switches don't run DHCP, they will pass the the assigned ip from the router, as they communicate via MAC address. Any 5 or 8 port switch can sit behind a low-end wireless router, the DHCP on the router will hand out all the addresses on the network. The switch will let all the computers plugged into it communicate at full speed, with the router just passing the internet to the switch.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Will the below work with no problems, with just replugging and no setup?
    network2_zps4556531a.jpg

It should work if you plug the switch into the wnr3000 to do this plug the weather sensor directly into the router as well.

also can your routers do WDS or AP mode. This would create a wireless link and avoid the second TN.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Don't you only need one switch and one router?

Typically I work with one switch and that's it. The service that I work with has a gateway that has multiple built in Ethernet ports and built in wifi/built in router.... High data stuff straight to the rg, everything else through a switch.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think I'm just going to take the switch back and pick up a 8 port D-Link dir-632 wireless router.

Only a few bucks more than the TrendNET switch I got (or should I say my buddy bought for 100 rounds of 5.56) and I'll be fine with that.

My Blu-rays and TV don't need blazing speeds to them because the only thing I do is stream YouTube. I don't do NetFlix because it's not worth the money until they start having more new releases. By the time that happens, I'll have more money and be able to wired the house up right.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Typically I work with one switch and that's it. The service that I work with has a gateway that has multiple built in Ethernet ports and built in wifi/built in router.... High data stuff straight to the rg, everything else through a switch.
    Uverse? Can you tell them to quit charging me "rent" on a piece of equipment I'm not using. :D

Well you might think it's not hard, but for someone who is claustrophobic and looking @ paying about $8000.00+ in doctor's/hospital bills because of my wife's operation and chemo. It's not happening.:D That's why I said this below, did not want to get into it, so now you know why.

Will the below work with no problems, with just replugging and no setup?
    network2_zps4556531a.jpg
    This is exactly what you want except the switch will plug into the WNR3000 as someone else pointed out. Also, for the WNR2000, turn off DHCP and then connect the gaming adapter to any port except the "internet/wlan" port. That will effectively place all your devices on the same network and they will all be able to communicate with each other and the internet. Additionally all your wired stuff will be able to communicate at gigabit speeds if they are capable.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, no need to return it. Stop thinking, and do as we say.The switch is just a (faster) extension of the router. The router is the brains, and the switch is the connections. One line from the modem to the router's wan port. Then one line from any other router port to the switch (any port). Connect stuff to switch. Then configure other router to connect to main router (this would be the hardest part, but you would have to do it in most any scenario that the 2nd router is used).

The switch is 10x faster then the router you are looking at.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    As stated above, the second router will be the hard part. It needs to be configured as another switch, access point, wireless bridge, or whatever else you want to call it, in order to extend your wireless network managed by router #1.

If not, router #2 will act as the brain of it's own network, which will still work (you need a different SSID than router #1), but everything on it will be isolated from the rest of the network. You would then have to connect devices separately to network #2 which could be a pain when walking across the house with a tablet and router #1 is not in range anymore.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom