Nerf dart to the eye, any eye docs on here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    No pain but have had cloudy vision which went away after about 30 min (not blurry) and intermittant cloudy vision ever since-happened about 6 hours ago.

Hoping it's just a scratch...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    ***not an eye doctor***

You're right, is probably scratched. I'd suggest going to an opthalmologist and see if you need antibiotic drops to avoid infection.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If it doesn't hurt probably not scratched. If your eye gets smacked it swells and distorts the lens causing blurring vision for a bit.

Were you hit over pupil? Make sure no "hyphema". Google that :):

and if you are concerned, see a doc

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    If it doesn't hurt probably not scratched. If your eye gets smacked it swells and distorts the lens causing blurring vision for a bit.

Were you hit over pupil? Make sure no "hyphema". Google that :):

and if you are concerned, see a doc

Been googling cause yeah, I wouldn't have a clue what a hyphema is. I believe that it is the eye filling with blood?. There is no blood that I can see, the eye isn't even red. I think I was hit on the nose side of the eye, not directly to the pupil but that dart was moving quick so:dunno:. If its still cloudy tomorrow I'll see a doc, just trying to save some money if it's not necessary.

Than you both for the reply.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If it isnt better in the AM, go see the eye doc. A small price to pay for peace of mind. I did when I got a wicked piece of insulation/ceiling tile in mine and walking out less than $100 lighter in the wallet was solid peace of mind. (he didnt find anything actionable and helped get out the garbage I couldnt quite, even with an eye wash)

You cant replace a broken eyeball. protect it more than your junk. Just sayin.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have seen a lot of darts to the eye. Airsoft injuries are nasty but not as bad as bb's. Worse I saw was a steak knife. It was still in there. The hammer to the eye was nasty too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen a lot of darts to the eye. Airsoft injuries are nasty but not as bad as bb's. Worse I saw was a steak knife. It was still in there. The hammer to the eye was nasty too.

Trying to understand the level of anger it would take to smack someone in the eye with a hammer eludes me.

The steak knife is a zinger.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    worst I had was a hook down the side of my eye. Required 4 stitches to put me back together. Eye sight changed a bit. I was asked if I need to lay down or if we could just stitch it in the chair. I asked what's the difference, was told sitting up is an office visit, laying down is a surgery charge. Sitting up it is then.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Trying to understand the level of anger it would take to smack someone in the eye with a hammer eludes me.

The steak knife is a zinger.

Steak knife was a young kid who was trying to undo his shoe lace knot. Pulled hard, the string cut and smack. They had just emigrated from Palestine :(

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Hope all is well with the eye. Seems eye protection is important with Nerf guns as well :ingo:

Yep. Safety glasses are important when having a Nerf gun fight, especially when your "enemy" is a 10 year old boy. They fight dirty (and find it hilarious when they shoot you in the eye).

So far this morning it appears to be OK. If the issue comes back today, I'll go see as doctor.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

Was the hammer a self inflicted injury caused by the claw end or a mad wife kind of thing?

I bet seeing what come into an ER on a daily basis makes you a little more careful when not at work.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Some of those nerf guns shoot with pretty good velocity. Especially the ones that shoot the little balls..I think they are called nerf rival.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    We used to have wars with star trek looking guns that shot little nickel sized flying disks. Does anyone else remember those? Anyway, one time I shot at a friend who was just starting to say something and the disk flew into his mouth and struck him in the back of the throat. We thought he was going to choke to death, and he probably came close to doing so. Back then we had no idea what safety goggles were, and all of us are pretty lucky we emerged with perfect eyesight.

Top Bottom