• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I live in a regular neighborhood where it appears most people do pretty much whatever they want (for better or worse). I do just about everything possible to be the grayman, including (to the horror of many of you) not openly carrying a firearm when just out and about doing stuff in the yard.

My neighbors next door have 2 Pitbulls and one of them is pretty aggressive, which causes the other one to join in. This spring I was out trimming some bushes near their property and the dogs rushed me. The aggressive one was just slightly outside of "oh s***" range for me and the other seemed more curious about what was going on than anything. The owner came out and yelled at them (made no effort to actually get them off of me, like drag them away by the collar or anything) and eventually they listened. I was near their property so I figured, alright, fair enough, dog is gonna dog. The owner starts trying to make small talk with me and I pretty much ignore him, figuring that he would get the hint that I'm not in the mood to chat. I'm also holding a chainsaw...

It happened again Saturday, exactly the same way, but I was on my patio and nowhere near their property, trying to clean my grill. A teenage girl in a bathrobe eventually came stomping over to collect them. Again, she made no effort to do so physically, so for a very uncomfortable period of time the aggressive one is... aggressive. The other one actually came up and sniffed my hand and just seemed interested in the commotion. Same as last time. My response to this was utter silence and just staring in disgust. Nothing I was going to say was going to make things better and this girl just appeared in the last week or two so I think she's the kid of a bad situation. Chewing her a-- wasn't going to do anything anyhow except maybe start problems with her Dad.

20 minutes ago they charged the neighbor across the street's kids. This is like 4 houses way at this point. Same girl eventually walks over there to get them back. It looked like all of the kids ran back in the house while this was going on.

I don't know these people, I don't want to know these people, and I for darn sure don't want to just shoot someone's dog and deal with any of the nonsense that is going to come from that. Whether or not it's a bad idea, I also really don't want to have to put a side arm on to go get the mail and I really don't want to wear a gun while I'm crawling around under a car in the garage (with the door up).

I'm open to suggestions here. I've already convinced myself that I'm going to have to wear a sidearm outside from now on, but I'm also contemplating carrying a couple of dog treats? I also really, really, do not want to know these people anymore than necessary. There have been all sorts of shenanigans over there for the past few years and I don't need associated with it. Plus, my past experience with hillbillies doing hillbilly things like letting their aggressive dogs run around is that they just DGAF. They know they're running around and acting aggressively.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Make a report with animal control, they likely won’t do anything but it will at least be on record, and you might not be the first son yours might be the call that gets something done.

You can try becoming “friends” with the dogs by using treats, but if they’re that aggressive and running down people in the neighborhood I don’t think that’s gonna stop em.

You might try talking to the neighbor? Sometimes they’re just lazy and stupid and don’t realize there’s a problem. He’ll either work with you, or shut the door in your face and you can go from there.

I keep a gun on me all day every day. Mowing, sitting on couch, working on car, whatever. I’d hate something to happen and not have it. If you do have to shoot his dog because it got hold of you, be prepared for him to be a spaz. That’s why the report to animal control may come in handy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are there no leash laws in your community? Neighbor behind us had a girlfriend that owned an aggressive pit mix and he actually jumped up and grabbed DoggyMama's arm while she was talking to the neighbor catty-corner to the one with the pit mix. She was pretty bruised up and it even broke the skin before she (DoggyMama) was able to shake the dog off. At first we weren't going to report it, but at the urging of the other neighbor (that lived nextdoor to the pit mix and was frightened of it) we did call animal control.

Despite the neighbor's girlfriend's clam that it had never been aggressive, it turned out that that dog actually had a rap sheet. They were forced to surrender it and it was put down.

That lead to other issues with the girlfriend, but oh well. Now with that said, I'm a big fan of Pit Bulls and Parolees. And I'm also a fan of the breed, but if the owners are a-holes, then that's the problem, not the dogs. If your community has leash laws and they're not following them, then you should get the authorities involved.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I live in a regular neighborhood where it appears most people do pretty much whatever they want (for better or worse). I do just about everything possible to be the grayman, including (to the horror of many of you) not openly carrying a firearm when just out and about doing stuff in the yard.

My neighbors next door have 2 Pitbulls and one of them is pretty aggressive, which causes the other one to join in. This spring I was out trimming some bushes near their property and the dogs rushed me. The aggressive one was just slightly outside of "oh s***" range for me and the other seemed more curious about what was going on than anything. The owner came out and yelled at them (made no effort to actually get them off of me, like drag them away by the collar or anything) and eventually they listened. I was near their property so I figured, alright, fair enough, dog is gonna dog. The owner starts trying to make small talk with me and I pretty much ignore him, figuring that he would get the hint that I'm not in the mood to chat. I'm also holding a chainsaw...

It happened again Saturday, exactly the same way, but I was on my patio and nowhere near their property, trying to clean my grill. A teenage girl in a bathrobe eventually came stomping over to collect them. Again, she made no effort to do so physically, so for a very uncomfortable period of time the aggressive one is... aggressive. The other one actually came up and sniffed my hand and just seemed interested in the commotion. Same as last time. My response to this was utter silence and just staring in disgust. Nothing I was going to say was going to make things better and this girl just appeared in the last week or two so I think she's the kid of a bad situation. Chewing her a-- wasn't going to do anything anyhow except maybe start problems with her Dad.

20 minutes ago they charged the neighbor across the street's kids. This is like 4 houses way at this point. Same girl eventually walks over there to get them back. It looked like all of the kids ran back in the house while this was going on.

I don't know these people, I don't want to know these people, and I for darn sure don't want to just shoot someone's dog and deal with any of the nonsense that is going to come from that. Whether or not it's a bad idea, I also really don't want to have to put a side arm on to go get the mail and I really don't want to wear a gun while I'm crawling around under a car in the garage (with the door up).

I'm open to suggestions here. I've already convinced myself that I'm going to have to wear a sidearm outside from now on, but I'm also contemplating carrying a couple of dog treats? I also really, really, do not want to know these people anymore than necessary. There have been all sorts of shenanigans over there for the past few years and I don't need associated with it. Plus, my past experience with hillbillies doing hillbilly things like letting their aggressive dogs run around is that they just DGAF. They know they're running around and acting aggressively.

I applaud your reserve. I can't suggest much more than start getting the law involved. It won't be a fun process, and your likely to end up dealing with the owners **** for a long time before a solution is actually implemented. You certainly wont make a friend.

I can say for sure what I would do: If an aggressive dog charged me, let alone my kids, he'd have a hole in his forehead. The owner would get one (animal control) warning. Keep them under control, or you won't have to. If they don't have the courtesy to control their own, what are the odds they'll reimburse you for stitches or worse?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I keep a gun on me all day every day. Mowing, sitting on couch, working on car, whatever. I’d hate something to happen and not have it. If you do have to shoot his dog because it got hold of you, be prepared for him to be a spaz. That’s why the report to animal control may come in handy.
    ^^^This. All of this.^^^

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    You missed your opportunity with the chainsaw.

Seriously, call animal control and the police every time this happens. They may or may not correct the problem, but if, God forbid, you need to drop the hammer on this dog there will be a paper trail showing its and its owner's past behavior should this ever go to court. Remember, the first person that calls the cops is called the complainant, the second one is the suspect.
    Oh, and always carry. Might look into some less lethal tools as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Animal control. Get them involved YESTERDAY. If not also the police.

Had similar happen here. Sweetest pit that looked scary as hell, afraid of her own shadow. Then they adopted another from the shelter.

That one got VERY aggressive to other dogs. Including jumping the chain link fence three times to attack other dogs. In one instance the sweet one followed and started to help, but as soon as the victim dog yelped she backed of and sat and watched once she realized she wasnt following the adopted dog to play.

For the 3rd attack I was outside in the garage and armed and had to run and help. I strongly considered shooting the adopted dog at muzzle contact because she had the other by the neck and wasn't letting go. I decided there were too many human legs in the scrum to do it safely, it was "only" another dog, and we were on the sidewalk. So I drove my hand under her collar and started twisting trying to choke her out and it worked. The owner's sister ended up needing 2 stitches on her hand.

3 attacks in 45 days. Third one was the only serious one, as the others were just bites to the legs because they were able to stop it fast enough. She was eventually put down. (the adopted pit, not the sister :): )

They have since moved out and we have a nice family (no pets) in their place.

PS the sweet one actually saved them from a home invader. She was warming her car, scraping the windows when a guy jumped out of a car and held her at gunpoint. (they were on a crime spree that Dec AM driving around the area robbing folks) She panicked and ran away to get her fiancee, and the bad guy followed thinking she was doing exactly what he wanted. She got the door open and the next thing you hear is the dog barking. I swear that boy ran away faster than Usain Bolt! (I caught it on security camera, WITH sound)

I kinda wish she had chased his ass down and mauled him. He deserved it. (but IMPD caught him before the detective could get back to me to retrieve the video) they were already looking for the car and I guess they drove erratically right by a patrol that was looking for them.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thanks guys. Too many of the similar ideas here to quote everybody, but I did read it and do appreciate it.

Leashes... Nope. This is the county. Dog behavior/breed... Absolutely correct, I should shoot the owners. But... that's even more frowned upon by the courts.

As regards talking it out... Every single time I have ever had a conversation with a neighbor that was a correction action of any kind, it dramatically made things worse. Instead of having dogs outside once in awhile, they will then be outside ALL the time, etc. It does feel like the gentlemanly thing to at least tell them I have a problem, but, most people aren't adults and willing to handle it like gentlemen.

Regards carrying... Yeah, I knew that was coming. Roger. :) Will be carrying, at least outside, from now on.

Calling animal control... Ugh... I debated this pretty hard after the second time a couple of days ago. I just know as soon as that door opens, we're flat out enemies. I do know that it's better to let them do "whatever" they're going to do after enemy status is achieved vs. getting arrested for just shooting their beloved Scruffles, but I'm not looking forward to it.

One thing I didn't mention is that this is a rented house. I've considered calling the landlord and telling them about the problem with their neighbors, but... figured that also wouldn't do much except annoy them. Thoughts?

---

Before today, I had convinced myself that if it happens a 3rd time to me, I'm calling animal control. I just absolutely do not want anything to do with neighbors, especially hillbilly neighbors, and especially if it gets their beloved family pet put down. The slashed tires and 5am doorbell rings and all of that crap are just not what I need to deal with.

Am I out of options? Should I report what happened over the weekend several days later to animal control?

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I would call animal control and report it so there’s a record that it is aggressive. second I would talk to them about it and state that the dogs have been harassing everyone ask them to restrain them . I would tell them that if they bite someone they could be sued. Then at last resort to protect life shoot it but it might be necessary two shoot both dogs . I dead set against this unless you have no alternative .

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'll 2nd and 3rd the above; we had a neighbor with a couple of vicious Dobies that were constantly terrorizing the neighborhood. They were also into some shady illegal dealings that required a police scanner so they always knew when animal control or the cops were rolling.

One day I was walking by their house and the female of the brood loudly proclaimed "sic 'em" to the dogs who immediately charged me. I made it over a neighbors fence and picked up a two by while looking for an escape route. she recalled the dogs and then praised them when they returned to her side. Mind you, I had NEVER had any dealings with these people so this was completely out of the blue. I told her she'd ****ed up and I was calling the cops and she just laughed and said "Yeah like that's ever been done before"!

A police report was filed, the DA called and asked if I'd testify to which I responded sure thing. Right before her trial/hearing whatever the first step is the house was raided by the DEA which was kind of cool to watch so she was on her own during her hearing. The entire animal control division was there along with the deputy mayor, assistant police chief, meter readers and anyone else that had a run in with them and their dogs.

Her representative begged mercy and she ended up serving 90 days in county. And I never even got to testify!

So yes, paper trail the hell out of this one and hope nobody gets hurt before something is done about it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Then at last resort to protect life shoot it but it might be necessary two shoot both dogs . I dead set against this unless you have no alternative .

I pretty much figure that to avoid jail time, I'm going to have to be bitten before shooting the dog. The second one, and whatever human is probably in some stage of intervening, would be my next problems.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I would seriously talk to the "Head" of the hillbilly house. No offense to hillbillies..lol. Tell him/her you have been approached twice. Next time you will do what you have to do to make it stop. If you don't have cameras get some. It will probably help. Now and in the future if you do what you have to do and something goes sideways.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You can approach the neighbors and discuss
    OR
    you can call animal control/police

Do not mix the two, or that BS you don't want will be everywhere.
    Choose the option that will serve you and the community best.

I think you already know which has the highest chance of success and which would be admitted should a reasonable, sane, sober moral person need to prevent great bodily harm or death to themselves or another.

Historical events are no predictor of future events, but there seems to be a pretty good correlation going on in this instance.

Should I report what happened over the weekend several days later to animal control?
    This may actually play in your favor, since you did not make a scene at the time. The neighbors may not associate the complaint/visitation with you.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I pretty much figure that to avoid jail time, I'm going to have to be bitten before shooting the dog. The second one, and whatever human is probably in some stage of intervening, would be my next problems
    If you and the other neighbor both reported it separately to animal control maybe that would have a better result .

Top Bottom