• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I've posted over at CNCzone and can't get any help. I just received my CNC lathe the other day. The computer that came with it is older than dirt (Windows 3.1). From what I'm gathering, the CPU was used as an external storage device. All programming was done from the control panel. Can this setup be updated with a newer CPU and cad/cam software (something like Mach3) and upload programs through the CPU rather than manual input. The retrofit is a Servo Products model 8000. I have 2 manual lathes but this is my first brush with a CNC lathe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Jon - dunno who exactly you are talking about, but could you PM him to make sure he sees this post?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it really sounds like a hardware question,

can the CNC device accept external input?....
    I have rigged a machine to think it is reading a paper punch tape program, whn it really is getting commands from an external PC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    it really sounds like a hardware question,

can the CNC device accept external input?....
    I have rigged a machine to think it is reading a paper punch tape program, whn it really is getting commands from an external PC

I think so. It came with an old PC. I think it was used for external storage. So I assume has an external input.

<thread hijack>

can you make silencers with that?

</thread hijack> :)
    dude, you read my mind :rockwoot:

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    So the motion control system is not being run on the CPU that is hooked up to the lathe? A CadCam software will not be able to do motion control, the only thing it will be able to do is output G-Code as a part program, which then can be loaded into the control that is on the machine which will process it and run the part. Are you having performance issues with Windows 3.1, or are you just looking to upgrade to a more modern OS?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    So the motion control system is not being run on the CPU that is hooked up to the lathe? A CadCam software will not be able to do motion control, the only thing it will be able to do is output G-Code as a part program, which then can be loaded into the control that is on the machine which will process it and run the part. Are you having performance issues with Windows 3.1, or are you just looking to upgrade to a more modern OS?

Actually the lathe is still sitting in the middle of the shop floor. I still need to get it set and hooked up to power. The way it's configured now it that the gcode has to be created manually on the control panel. You can not control the lathe through the CPU. I would like to be able to create my part (through Rhinoceros, I have this program already), create the code through some sort of code generator, and input that code into the controler. Bypass all of the manual code writing. I've been looking at Mach3. Am I making things more difficult than they are? Please keep in mind that I'm new to this kind of stuff.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    look the lathe over.. see if it has an old 25 pin port.. kid of like an old printer port but female...

if it does it is probably a RS232 port... and you an get it to 'load' the programs from the PC via a null modem cable..
    having win 3.1 is sort of a plus because you can get great com control software cheap or even free....

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    look the lathe over.. see if it has an old 25 pin port.. kid of like an old printer port but female...

if it does it is probably a RS232 port... and you an get it to 'load' the programs from the PC via a null modem cable..
    having win 3.1 is sort of a plus because you can get great com control software cheap or even free....

The only issue I see with that is that it being that old of an OS that what ever program you use to program it must be 8bit or it will not recognize the program. I deal with kind of issue with several older machines at work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The only issue I see with that is that it being that old of an OS that what ever program you use to program it must be 8bit or it will not recognize the program. I deal with kind of issue with several older machines at work.

yes, for the GUI/ CAD design part, a modern PC & OS is probably best...
    but getting that G code file into the machine does not need more than 8 bit....
    in fact the machine i was just working with today was really 7 bit....the G code file had to be checked to make sure it was only 7 stuff... then file could be uploaded.....

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I think singlestacksig is on the right track. If it's got a 25 pin serial port there is probably hope. Sending it the program in a .txt file or something may be possible.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    then there is a high probability that you can make it talk to a PC and load programs... things get trcky from here.. PM me if you want to drect email me & i can help the best I can..

Top Bottom