• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I'm trying to find a powder that will work well for 9mm and 45ACP. I plan on loading 147grn LRN for the 9 and 230grn LRN for the 45. I've misplaced my Lyman handgun manual which listed several loads for cast bullets and my Speer manual does not list any loads for cast bullets. I checked some reloading magazines a buddy has and they only list one powder for either round, Winchester Super Field. Is WSF my only choice? Is it the best choice? My 9mm has a 3.8" barrel and my wife's 45 has a 4" barrel. My press is a LCT and I'm using the Lee Pro Auto Disc.

My goals (in order) are:
    1. Consistent charges
    2. Reliable ignition
    3. Clean burning
    4. Less flash/report
    5. $$$

I am looking to load 500-1000 rounds in each caliber to get started (after fine tuning the rounds). I can do the research to find loads later, but if you have favorite recipes feel free to share. These will be plinking/training rounds so I'm focused more on reliability than power (hence the choice of LRN bullets).

:patriot:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Keep it away from the damned police dogs or they will confiscate/steal everything you own even though it isn't the kind of powder they are supposed to be looking for.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Bullseye is a good powder for both calibers with cast bullets. American Select is a good alternative. Both are reasonably priced, as well.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I have tried both Win231 (HP-38) and Titegroup. Both ran just fine through a Commander sized 1911. I have to say that I prefer the HP-38. I will share the recipe but, as a general rule of thumb, always cross reference any forum recipes with a couple of reputable reloading manuals. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir but I feel it's worth reiterating...

As a side note - check out BK bullet casting in Peru if you are interested in lead rounds. He makes a pretty sweet 230 grain LRN.

Win231 and HP-38 are essentially the same powder. They have the same min\max values according to the Hodgdon Data Center regarding the 230 grain LRN bullet..

230 Grain Lead Round Nose
    5.2 Grains HP-38
    Winchester LPP
    Mixed Brass
    OAL - 1.200"

I have ran well over a thousand of these rounds through my Colt Commander without incident. Plenty of pep to work the action. It's a tenth of a grain under max. Reasonably clean and very accurate. Now I break my slide completely down to clean after every range session. It's a series 80 - I pull out the firing pin and stop, firing pin safety and spring, and extractor making sure to scrub out both the extractor channel and firing pin channel. They get plenty black after a couple hundred rounds but I imagine that's true for any available powder...

I got very similar results with 4.6 grains of Titegroup using the same OAL, bullet, and primer...

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Solo 1000. 3.4 grains at 1.120" for 9mm 147 grain and 4.5 grains at 1.250" for .45 ACP 230 grain.

Stay away from Titegroup with cast or moly bullets.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Solo 1000. 3.4 grains at 1.120" for 9mm 147 grain and 4.5 grains at 1.250" for .45 ACP 230 grain.

Stay away from Titegroup with cast or moly bullets.

I agree with that. I did get some moderate leading after a couple hundred rounds with the Titegroup loads. It could have been something else, but the bullets were properly sized to .452 as I spot checked them. HP-38 is a touch dirtier for me but no leading.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I use 5.0 grains of Bullseye, WLP primers under 230gr plated lead RN at 1.250" OAL for .45AUTO in all my 45s (3.25", 4.5", & 5"). It shoots good, but is a bit dirty. But...

At a local match a few months ago, I picked up another members' empty 45 brass and was blown away by how totally clean the inside of the spent brass was, like it was nearly new. I'd like to get my hands on the powder he was using (he didnt know as he thought they were commercial loads) and save myself a whole bunch of time cleaning. I forget who made them.. :(

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I use 5.0 grains of Bullseye, WLP primers under 230gr plated lead RN at 1.250" OAL for .45AUTO in all my 45s (3.25", 4.5", & 5"). It shoots good, but is a bit dirty. But...

At a local match a few months ago, I picked up another members' empty 45 brass and was blown away by how totally clean the inside of the spent brass was, like it was nearly new. I'd like to get my hands on the powder he was using (he didnt know as he thought they were commercial loads) and save myself a whole bunch of time cleaning. I forget who made them.. :(
    Clays, Solo 1000 and e3 are very clean burning powders, but are AFAIK are only good with light target loads. Bullseye, although admittedly a little dirty really meters well and has a wide range of charges useable for pistol cartridges. The residue from Bullseye isn't caked on and hard. It is easy to wipe off, especially with a little solvent.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Titegroup is too hot for lead in my experience in that it smokes alot. For lead I like SOLO 1000 and WST in both 9mm and .45acp. HTH

Chris

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Thanks guys. I ended up grabbing 2# of 231/HP-38 at the 1500 for $34. I found a website that claims to give published loads for cast bullets: Cast Bullet Load Data

For 45acp 230 LRN burning 231 they give starting loads as low as 4 and max loads as high as 6. Does this sound about right? I'm really hoping to find my Lyman manual soon!

Top Bottom