• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    OK, so I bought a house that is wired up with some cat5e lines and they come to a leviton cabinet in the basement. My main question is, Do I need a switch? The left side of this image is where the lines come in (I would call it the patch panel). I'm unsure of the right side. Is that a type of switch, or do I need to purchase a stand alone switch? Seems to me that I would plug internet LAN from my router into the right side somewhere and I would have internet throughout the house.

Oh, and if anyone wants to come spend an hour or so helping me out, I would be happy to donate some ammo to your cause.

9dd187ea.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Looks like the CAT5 cables come in to the punch down terminals on the left side, then there's the "line distribution board" that just rearranges the RJ12 lines. You could probably do away with that. There is no switch in the picture. You'll need a switch or hub and a router or router/modem. Then to the internet. It's really pretty straightforward; get the switch and the instructions should be there. The router/modem will come from the ISP.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    It's really pretty straightforward; get the switch and the instructions should be there. The router/modem will come from the ISP.

Yeah, I have been looking at switches the past 24 hours. I can get connectivity by plugging LAN (from router) into the ports on the left side (then connecting PC in other room). I guess the right side just confuses me.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not familiar with that stuff, but from a glance at the manual, it seems like the piece on the right takes in the lines from the phone company for your phone service.

That piece on the left looks like it probably provides service to 2 data ports in the house. Does that seem right? You'd plug patch cables from your router / switch in to ports 3 & 6 on that right piece. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    OK, so I bought a house that is wired up with some cat5e lines and they come to a leviton cabinet in the basement. My main question is, Do I need a switch? The left side of this image is where the lines come in (I would call it the patch panel). I'm unsure of the right side. Is that a type of switch, or do I need to purchase a stand alone switch? Seems to me that I would plug internet LAN from my router into the right side somewhere and I would have internet throughout the house.

Oh, and if anyone wants to come spend an hour or so helping me out, I would be happy to donate some ammo to your cause.

9dd187ea.jpg
    Looks to me like you got a whole home wire box. This could be either network or phones, not sure. The wires on the far left that are punched down go through out your home to jacks in various rooms. Are those jacks large for network or smaller for phone? From how I see it looks like you a mixture of both. A fox and hound could go a long way in sorting this out.

Top Bottom