• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am assuming some things here, and one of those is that it's a model 737 or 738. Blue book says $425 at 100% condition (rarely in that condition.) $325 at 98% condition. $220 at 95% condition. $175 at 90% condition. And goes lower if needed.

That is what the book says, but market/personal value obviously may differ.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Nice guns. Every bit as durable as the GP series (which was brought out mainly to reduce mfg costs, btw).

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    wow ok i heard some people that i have talked to that say it is worth 600-750 due to it being stainless and .38... I thought i had something really special. :facepalm:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If it is any guide, I sold a minty Ruger Security Six, SS, 6" tube and 50 rounds of .357 for $400.00 just two weeks ago. I had a motivated buyer.:D

You can never pay too much, you simply buy too soon.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I like Speed Sixes (let me know also, if you consider getting rid of it.)

Depending on condition, the Speed Sixes in this area tend to be between $250 and $350. The four and six inch being least expensive, the 2-3/4" being the more expensive. The vast majority for sale are .357 and stainless.

An interesting variation that I like was the 3" Postal model. It was a special purchase for the Postal Inspectors. Speed Six, stainless, factory Pachmyer (sp?) grips, 3" barrel. Those often go for $75 to $100 more.

If you had a 9mm version, **that** I think would be a premium.

Revisiting Ruger's Revolvers | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
    RUGGED YET ELEGANT, RUGER'S DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS WERE--AND ARE--THE FINEST EVER MADE.

With the introduction of the Security Six line in 1971, Bill Ruger reinvented the double-action revolver and made an aggressive foray into the world handgun market. At that time and for some years afterward, revolvers were the "weapon of choice" for most police agencies as well as a significant portion of the civilian market.

Major selling points included ease, of disassembly, great strength and durability by virtue of solid-frame, modular construction and relatively massive action components. Ruger's sales reps traveled the planet gleefully shot-putting the Security Sixes around police ranges and running over them with trucks. These tactics were quite successful.

By 1985, 1,210,000 examples of the Security Six and the fixed-sight Speed Six variation were in the field. When the dynamic duo was retired in 1988 with the introduction of the GP-l00, their final count exceeded 1.5 million.

Caliber options included the ubiquitous .38/.357, 9mm and even the .380 British revolver cartridge in deference to former members of the Empire. The revolvers had proven as rugged in the field as advertised and the Ruger division dedicated to servicing them was quite small. It consisted, in fact, of one employee in a small office.

The Security Six had barrel length options of 2.75", 4" and 6" with the latter variation being quite popular among outdoorsmen. The Speed Six featured a roundbutt and an option of two shorter barrel lengths.

The revolvers presented, relative to the traditional designs, a low barrel-to-grip axis and an overall aspect that could be accurately described as "Victorian streamline." The frame-fitting standard grips were quite easy to conceal, but were notorious for their capacity to transmit recoil to the shooter's hand. Wood and rubber target grips soon became a factory option.

All things considered, the Security Six was a resounding success. Out of print now for 15 years, excellent examples abound in the second-hand market. Generally priced between $200 and $250, they represent a particularly good bargain because Ruger retains a supply of parts and continues to provide full service.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Blued Speed Six 2-3/4" at Bradis a couple of weeks ago with holster for $259. Worn finish but I came VERY close to buying it. Instead, I spent my discretionary funds on something else.

ruger_gs32n.jpg

RugerSpeedSix.jpg

AuctionPics8031.jpg

I BELIEVE this is the 3" USPS.
    speed-sixsmall.jpg

Last edited:

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I sold two Speed Sixes last summer, both .357. Blue 2.75", 300.00, stainless 2.75", 350.00, which was pretty much what I paid for them. The stainless model was mint, and I think I should've kept it. Gunsamerica.com might give you a feel for the 'coin of the realm', as it is representative of the entire country.

Top Bottom