• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I have no idea what this thing is. I just got a new metal detector for my birthday this weekend. I found this at a old home site in one of my Grandpa's fields. The home was demolished 40+ years ago. The field was recently planted. Found this about 4 inches down. I think it looks like some old kind of round. I have never seen anything like this. It is heavy brass, I think. It has a weird twist indention on the side, the inside is smooth. When I washed the dirt out a small round thin piece of metal fell out, like for a primer? The top looks like it has a crimp. The bottom looks like it was fired (rimfire), however it would take one heck of a hammer. This is of course INGO, so someone might be able to help me I.D. this thing. Heck it might be something totally different. My dad said it might be a old curtain rod end?!?

IMG_2587.jpg

V=
    IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

Thanks Guys/Gals

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    its an old lipstick tube..its missing a couple of parts though. soak it in some olive oil for a few days and look on the bottom..I bet itll sat "Ponds"
    here is a pic of one I found the other day.
    PA180311.jpg

what kind of metal detector did ya get?

Last edited:

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Thank you, makes since. On the bottom it says something like new jersey city, N.J. I don't have it with me to see if it says pond's. Well that sucks, I thought it might of been some old weird round, even tho it didn't make since.

A Garrett Ace 250, went with it as a starter, heard good reviews for the price range. I am very new to the detecting, thought I would start out small to get the bug. Also got a Whites sharpshooter II from my mom.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thank you, makes since. On the bottom it says something like new jersey city, N.J. I don't have it with me to see if it says pond's. Well that sucks, I thought it might of been some old weird round, even tho it didn't make since.

A Garrett Ace 250, went with it as a starter, heard good reviews for the price range. I am very new to the detecting, thought I would start out small to get the bug. Also got a Whites sharpshooter II from my mom.

Garrett ace 250 is a great detector for the price. I had the privilege of trying one out last year and doing a review on it. I was very surprised at how well it worked. not the deepest machine in the world and a bit unstable at times but when it locks on a good target it doesnt skip a beat. Im also a big fan of the Fisher F2 as far as starter machines go.

here are some pics from my hunt with the 250.
    ace.jpg

barber.jpg

button.jpg

Largcent.jpg

109finds.jpg

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Thanks for the pics, gives me something to look forward too. Last night I found a really old mason jar lid, I thought I hit the jackpot. It was just the lid about 8 inches down. What forum did you do your review for? I have been looking around treasurenet.com.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks for the pics, gives me something to look forward too. Last night I found a really old mason jar lid, I thought I hit the jackpot. It was just the lid about 8 inches down. What forum did you do your review for? I have been looking around treasurenet.com.

I think it was for metaldetectingforum.com. I use the same screen name there. I have done lots of little articles on that site. just search my name on there and they should pop up. I recommend reading "so you wanna be a relic hunter" lots of folks said it helped them out. the ace250 "article" is called "a hunt and a review with the ace 250" if you serach that it should pop up over there. tell em I sent ya:yesway:

Top Bottom