• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I made a horrible mistake and wasted $100 on a pair of Reebok's zig zag or whatever the hell they're called. Far and away the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever run in. Years ago I went to a place near 86th & Ditch road in Indianapolis and was properly fitted for a pair of running shoes and they were great. I'm looking to do the same again and was wondering if we have any runners here who could suggest a place to go. I'm hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing and not just walk through the motions. I'm pushing 30lbs overweight and need something that fits properly if I'm going to get back to running like I used to.

TIA

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    BlueMile Locations

These people were really great for me. They film you on a treadmill and show you shoes to match your stride. I have a habit of leaning on the outside of my feet. The right shoes took a bunch of pressure off of my knees. They also had a nice trade in policy if you didn't like them.

Good luck

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dude, Reeboks? Ick. I have wide feet and they just tear me up. Reebok shoes gave me a ganglion cyst that I had to mash with a wooden hammer.

I second the the Running Company (now Blue Mile) in Broad Ripple.

They have been very helpful with my alien feet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks guys, I'll try to stop by Blue Mile on my way home.

Kirk, I know (Reeboks) but they came highly recommended, bviously by someone with much different feet than I have. They're in the dumpster now, first and only pair I'll ever own. IIRC I had Asics when I was fitted before but can't remember for sure. What I do remember is that they weren't comfortable to walk in but were great for running.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Athletic Annex or something like that if I'm not mistaken was your first shop.

I made a horrible mistake and wasted $100 on a pair of Reebok's zig zag or whatever the hell they're called. Far and away the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever run in. Years ago I went to a place near 86th & Ditch road in Indianapolis and was properly fitted for a pair of running shoes and they were great. I'm looking to do the same again and was wondering if we have any runners here who could suggest a place to go. I'm hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing and not just walk through the motions. I'm pushing 30lbs overweight and need something that fits properly if I'm going to get back to running like I used to.

TIA

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Asics, They have a wide toe box. They can also be fitted for people with different type of feet (high/low arch). Make sure you get the type that have the gel packs up front also. Only wear the running shoes when you run. Wearing them every day will destroy them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd like to find a pair with motors in them to do the running for me but I don't think they'd allow me to wear them for my fitness test.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Here in Fort Wayne, we are pretty blessed with a few locally owned stores that are awesome at fitting shoes. Three Rivers Running Company does an awesome job. You might even shoot them an email and see if they know a shop in your area.

Three Rivers Running Company

An excellent place to go. Been going there for over 4yrs now, I dont even bother looking anywhere else now.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'd like to find a pair with motors in them to do the running for me but I don't think they'd allow me to wear them for my fitness test.

I went through buying running shoes about four months ago and wasted money on a couple pair that simply don't work for me. It'd be nice to have a good running store up here to avoid that problem in the future.

I have since found that the Under Armour shoes seem to fit me really well. :dunno:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Athletic Annex or something like that if I'm not mistaken was your first shop.

You are correct, sir. Athletic Annex is a winner. Running Co. / Blue Mile has always been good when I've went in there. Finally, if you don't mind a little cruise to Western Indiana, there's Coaches Corner in Terre Haute. Those guys have been around for ever catering to all of the college / high school Cross Country and Track teams.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    My wife and I just did a similar project. You are doing it the right way! Your feet have so much to do with the rest of your body! It's one of the places a local expert can bring a lot of value!

We both ended-up with Asics, but totally different shoes. She is highly overpronated and bought the "Foundation" ... they have improved her Plantar fasciitis as well as reduced trips to the chiropractor. Hope your next purchase works out great for you.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Add another +1 for Blue Mile and for Asics shoes. I got my first pair of Asics about 5 years ago and have bought nothing else since. Don't just go to Kohl's though and pick up a pair. Let them be fitted for you. Such a difference.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like we've got some experience here. I spent 6 years in the Army running regularly then been hit or miss for the past 14 years. It's been several years since I've run with any regularity and I'd like to get back into it. Any recommendations on how much to increase distance per week or anything like that? As mentioned earlier, I've got 25-30lbs I could stand to lose and with those horrible shoes on I only made it a mile today before walking. Adult onset asthma isn't helping either.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Sounds like we've got some experience here. I spent 6 years in the Army running regularly then been hit or miss for the past 14 years. It's been several years since I've run with any regularity and I'd like to get back into it. Any recommendations on how much to increase distance per week or anything like that? As mentioned earlier, I've got 25-30lbs I could stand to lose and with those horrible shoes on I only made it a mile today before walking. Adult onset asthma isn't helping either.

I've got no answers for you. I just started running about four months ago and have done just about everything you're not supposed to do. I was up to running five miles every other day and hurt myself. I just started again last week and can barely run two (I probably shouldn't be running that far yet anyway). :n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have you tried limiting the distances?

We do a Ross workout where we do four different exercises and then run after each exercise fpr 1/2 mile. Last Thursday it looked like this:

1. Jump Rope for 3 minutes
    RUN
    2. Wheel of Death, 50 reps (wheel out and back like inch worm)
    RUN
    3. UltraShmigelas, 50 reps (medicine ball roll out and jump)
    RUN
    4. Carry Sandbag, 3 minutes
    RUN

We only did 2 miles but it felt like much more because of the exercising inbetween.

Another thing we do is the run up a hill, walk/jog down for 45 minutes (Sundays). If you can't do long distances then sprinting up a hill helps your speed and teaches you to keep your knees up.

We get our inspiration from: Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice

Top Bottom