• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I wouldn't aim a flashlight at a madman with an long gun though, unless someone else needed me to do it as a diversion, but even then, I could just stand up and yell "Hey, shoot over this way!" Blinded or not, a madman isn't going to worry much about shooting with his eyes closed.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I wouldn't aim a flashlight at a madman with an long gun though, unless someone else needed me to do it as a diversion, but even then, I could just stand up and yell "Hey, shoot over this way!" Blinded or not, a madman isn't going to worry much about shooting with his eyes closed.

You ever had one of those pointed at you in a dark environment? They literally blind you. It's not a flashlight like you get at the hardware store. The light is very intense, and if it has a strobe feature, it almost gives you a headache. It's actually very good advice compared to telling someone to shoot towards you, especially if you want to live. ;)

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    You ever had one of those pointed at you in a dark environment? They literally blind you. It's not a flashlight like you get at the hardware store. The light is very intense, and if it has a strobe feature, it almost gives you a headache. It's actually very good advice compared to telling someone to shoot towards you, especially if you want to live. ;)
    +1
    I don't think he meant stand up in the open and shine a light at him as a static target.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dave Spaulding has a great story about shooting a SWAT warrior in the nuts while his magic force-field flashlight "blinded" Dave.

With respect to the author I fail to see how a flashlight will disable a lunatic's trigger finger, perhaps I am incorrect.

it’s why I own a dog that’s trained to bite and protect (another good option).

I'll bring Chompy along with me to the movies. Hope management and my fellow movier goers do not mind. Maybe I'll give him a squeaky mailman to play with.

Look, if we want to prevent Mad Man from going on shooting sprees, eliminate the no gun zones where they do their work. All this gaming the system and tactical shmatical stuff is only ignoring the real problem.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Good advice, indeed.

I'm eating lunch at a new restaurant (for me). I gravitated to a wall table, sat facing the entrance and checked for a 2nd exit if needed. I wager quite a few of "us" do that as second nature.

I'm not a LEO. Actually, more of a Rex-Kwon-Do type.....great reference, LOL!

Uncle Rico

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I just bought my wife (and me) a Surefire P2X Fury Tactical. I didn't care for the 2 stage LED 15/500 lumens of the original P2X Fury (what he had). The Tactical immediately clicks to 500 lumens.

I'm carrying that light at Disneyworld since my EDC will be sitting in the hotel room safe.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Don't get me wrong, flashlights are useful, and I always carry a super bright little one. But it is more for finding and escape route. Definitely it could be useful to blind an attacker. But in the Aurora case, it just seems he would've trained his fire and sprayed wherever he saw the light coming from. Aiming a flashlight at his eyes while he was reloading would be safer, but it would probably just help him see his reload easier, because he wouldn't be looking directly into the light.

The only option I would consider in such a case is returning fire, and/or fleeing.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll stick with my Brownell's Versatile Light BVL-160. Only 160 lumens, but it's half the price of that P2X. Clicks straight to 160 lumens first click, down shifts to 80 lumens (I think) on the second click and goes into a 1 Hz flash at 160 lumens on the third before cycling around. You can also momentary the button rather than click to get straight to the alternate modes before clicking it in.

I put a rail mount on it so I can slot it onto my XDm or shotty.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'd rather concentrating on blinding him with muzzle flashes set to strobe.

3052433159_f9439f5485.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't get me wrong, flashlights are useful, and I always carry a super bright little one. But it is more for finding and escape route. Definitely it could be useful to blind an attacker. But in the Aurora case, it just seems he would've trained his fire and sprayed wherever he saw the light coming from. Aiming a flashlight at his eyes while he was reloading would be safer, but it would probably just help him see his reload easier, because he wouldn't be looking directly into the light.

The only option I would consider in such a case is returning fire, and/or fleeing.

You might want to research how to use your light. There is a lot of innovating info out there.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    This was a great thread. Carrying my handgun has gotten to be as common for me as carrying my wallet and keys. I've never thought about carrying a flashlight on a regular basis. I even have my wife think about having the tactical advantage when we go out. She has started asking where I want to sit. She knows I want to sit with my back to the wall and my gun side away from the aisle. This gave me a lot more to think about that really hadn't come to mid until now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom