• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    First, how "filthy" Wolf ammo might I've found to be generally over exaggerated by those who dislike it and typically don't use it. It generates no more carbon than competing ammo, it just lets more of it past the case upon firing. The M16/AR15 throws carbon and gas throughout its system due to the direct impingement gas system, so saying it makes a dirty system a little more dirty is kind of silly, IMHO.

Here's a shot of my M16's bolt and chamber. I've fired about 300 rounds of Wolf since its last cleaning.

1181560088_6GNTe-XL.jpg

1181560077_HcnpP-XL.jpg

Dirty? Of course, but nothing to be concerned with and certainly not much worse than if I had been firing mil-surp or even American Eagle ammo. I regularly go 1,000+ rounds between cleanings on my M16 and I shoot nothing but Wolf through it.

How about that extractor? That extractor on my M16 has gone through about 20k rounds or more. It's never been replaced and I've never used one of those special springs to increase tension. It doesn't look too bad to me.

Let's look at the SCAR 16. This rifle has had about 600 rounds of Wolf through it without any cleaning, and a few rounds of IMI 855 (60 rounds).

1181560081_rjBW5-XL.jpg

1181560199_8fLxm-XL.jpg

Not so bad.

Shooting 3 MOA ammo out of a 1 MOA rifle doesn't make sense, at least to me.
    That's you. Not everyone is you, or shares your desire to sit at a bench and fire slow fire strings to see if they can't get a 1" group at 100 yards with a rifle designed to fight wars. Just as many people like to go out to a remote area, set up an old television and blast away using their non-match AR's in the popular M4gery configuration.

Others like to practice (thousands of rounds) for competitions. Others just like to go out and make some noise (bump fire). Why in the world would you use more expensive ammo for such activities?

If you fire 40 rounds every time you go to the range trying to make tiny groups, no Wolf isn't for you. I've already said this.

If you shoot hundreds or even a thousand rounds on a weekend and 2" smaller groups aren't your primary concern, Wolf is a great alternative... one that hundreds of thousands of shooters take advantage of without any issues what-so-ever every day.

Speaking only for myself, I've seen broken extractors from this stuff being shot out of 20" and 16" guns.
    So have I, the only difference was that it was brass cases that caused the broken extractors. In the Marines we would regularly see M16's break things like extractors. It's a weak link in the M16 design, and if your rifle isn't running with proper timing, brass or steel cases are irrelevant, you're going to break them. Again, this isn't an issue with the ammo as much as it is with the gun that's firing it.

I've seen chambers fouled badly from it's use. (One often parallels the other). Gun forums are full of horror stories about using this stuff in AR-15 rifles.
    I see "horror stories" about all sorts of stuff on the Internet. When these "horror stories" conflict with my actual experience, I tend to go with my own experiences. If we were to believe every horror story written on the internet, there wouldn't be a single product worth buying.

Based on all of that, along with the fact the AR-15 was designed around brass cased ammunition, and the fact many AR-15's don't shoot it well, if at all, (Bushmaster advises against it's use), I'm not seeing any "savings" here??
    If you don't see the savings in $100 per 1000 rounds for people that do things other than bench rest shooting... there's not much else I can say I suppose.

Is Wolf good "cheap" ammo? I suppose it is as good as it can be for it's cost. For going out to the range to basically blast away, I guess it's use could be justified in some way for the cost conscious shooter. With that said most everyone I know who is "into" AR-15's and other black rifles, reload. Properly reloaded, brass cased ammunition is going to be superior to Wolf, cleaner, and more accurate.
    And conversely most everyone I know that shoots black rifles doesn't reload their rifle ammo. Why would I reload high quality ammo that isn't much cheaper than Wolf only to run 500 rounds through my M16 on full-auto? If your time is worth so much money (cleaning rifles), if you apply the same hourly rate you have in your head to the time spent reloading, then couple that with the cost of consumables, then go out and blast off 500 rounds in 2 hours shooting at random things... and where is your savings?

As I said above, I've seen many shooters at my local gun club shoot this stuff. Many had problems with it. Broken extractors, gunked up guns, inaccurate shooting. All of this was cleared up when they ditched the Wolf in favor of better quality ammunition. Wolf seems to solve all of it's own problems once you stop using it.
    I'm willing to bet I shoot as much or more than the majority of these people you've ran into at your local gun club and guess what? I've never once broken an extractor on any of my rifles. If I were to take your comments at face value, it would stand to reason I should have replaced oodles of extractors in my rifles given how much I shoot them. But alas, I've never replaced even one.

...and I'm not alone.

That depends on what they are intending to accomplish with their weekend shooting. If it's lighting up a gravel pit, or knocking cans off posts at 50 yards, that could be a potential Wolf shooter. If you want good groups from a weapon that is capable of producing it, Wolf may not be the way to go.
    We agree it seems.

I once was asked to clean a co workers AR-15 that had seen a steady diet of Wolf ammunition. He wasn't the best guy when it came to rifle maintenance. The gun was a mess, and a nightmare to clean. I never spent so much time cleaning a weapon in my life. That alone would steer me completely away from Wolf. My time is worth more than the few bucks saved shooting cut rate ammo.
    See above. If his rifle were such a complete mess, he would have had to of fired thousands of rounds to get it into such a state without cleaning. That's no fault of the ammo. The M16/AR15 is a filthy rifle, period. If you have an aversion to filth and your time is so valuable, perhaps direct impingement isn't for you.

If you run a punch through your bore every other range session, it takes all of about 15 minutes including getting everything out and putting it away. Regular maintenance is just part of being a gun owner, regardless of the ammo you shoot.

Why? Les Baer guarantees 1/2" groups out of most every rifle he sells. Others do as well. The AR-15 rifle is one of the most accurate semi auto rifles ever invented. They are as, or more accurate than most bolt action sporters sold today. The AR-15 is one of the most accurate weapons on the market today, period. With that said one has to shoot the proper ammunition in it to achieve it. Wolf isn't it.
    If you're buying a Les Baer, no, you wouldn't be too interested in Wolf ammo. I think we've already covered this.

Most AR's out there being shot aren't Les Baers. Many, if not most, are M4geries or military spec type arrangements. Yes, the AR is capable in most cases of fine accuracy, especially if it's configured for that role. But most of the people I know that use them, use them for things other than bench rest shooting... the same is true of AR15.com based upon looking at the picture threads... most folks seem to like red dot sights and flash lights over bench rest rifles.

That leaves a big market for Wolf.

Here I agree. Like anything else Wolf ammunition has it's limitations. For many shooters those limitations are more severe than they are willing to accept to accomplish their goals. Bill T.
    Of course it has limitations, and it's not for everyone. I use it as cheap training ammo and practice ammo. I keep stocks of things like M855 military for "SHTF" hording.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    You obviously like Wolf, and that is fine. I understand your cause and purpose, as well as your passion for it. I don't. Here is where we agree to disagree. I'm glad you find Wolf ammo so satisfying. Excellent pictures by the way. Good detail. Bill T.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Show me a D. I. AR-15 with the same round count of Wolf, and zero cleaning. Bill T.
    Are you telling me to go out and shoot 600 rounds through one of my AR's? How dare you? Are you paying for the ammo?

:D

Give me a few days, I'll post some pics.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Oh, and so others know, there are some other issues with Wolf that people have brought to my attention, and I plan to do some tests to see if I can replicate them.

The most interesting is that if you run 3 or 4 magazines through your rifle rapid fire and get it nice and hot, then let a Wolf round sit in the rifle until it cools, upon firing the case will stick because the polymer has fused with the chamber.

I've never had this happen and I've gotten my M16 VERY hot in the past. But I'll do a specific test to see if I can get this to happen.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I will give you this compliment simply because you deserve it. You are my go to guy with anything even remotely related to Wolf! Carry on sir! You run a good show! Bill T.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, and so others know, there are some other issues with Wolf that people have brought to my attention, and I plan to do some tests to see if I can replicate them.

The most interesting is that if you run 3 or 4 magazines through your rifle rapid fire and get it nice and hot, then let a Wolf round sit in the rifle until it cools, upon firing the case will stick because the polymer has fused with the chamber.

I've never had this happen and I've gotten my M16 VERY hot in the past. But I'll do a specific test to see if I can get this to happen.

I've had that happen to me once in South Florida, 90+ degree day after a half dozen magazines in a Bushmaster XM15. Ripped part of the rim right off the case.

That was in 2000 and using the old school wolf. I've fired many of hundreds of rounds of wolf thru it before and after that without an issue in that rifle.

In order for me to try and recreate that event, I'd need a case of old wolf and a very hot day. It may not even work, I shot that rifle quite a bit in similar circumstances and it only happened once.

The coating may cause some cleaning issues but it's the steel cases themselves that cause the problems in rifles lacking proper timing. It won't be a problem demonstrating that.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    You're painting with much too broad of a brush. Most AR-15 rifles are extremely accurate, as I'm sure you know. It is an inherently accurate, generic design. Most people with a little patience, a few tools, and some mechanical know how, can assemble one on a kitchen table that will shoot 1 MOA or less with good, accurate ammunition, which Wolf simply is not. Shooting 3 MOA ammo out of a 1 MOA rifle doesn't make sense, at least to me.

I think the "broad brush" is exactly what needs to be used. Not everyone uses their AR platform to shoot precision from 300 yards. If you have a 20" heavy barrel set-up with long range optics, I highly doubt you are going to bust through a bunch of Wolf to save money. But if you're like me and many other AR owners, you run a carbine and often train at shorter distances. Shooting match ammo at 20 yds is not very efficient. All ammo has it's place.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

I've heard this about all of the polymer coated ammo. but, I've also heard it about shellac-coated ammo. I've come to the conclusion that if anyone, anywhere, has any trouble with one round of ammo, that they blame an entire manufacturing process, and this gets spread round like wildfire. Like someone else said, if you take seriously every post which says to stay away from every brand, you'd never be able to own anything.

It's the same with the debate between the long-range benchrest shooters vs. the defensive/suppressive shooters. What works for one, would be really stupid for the other. To say that cheap 2MOA ammo is useless junk because it's 2MOA and cheap misses the entire point of defensive practice ammo, just as saying that $1/round match ammo is useless misses the point of benchrest shooting's goals. To feed a defensive carbine match grade ammo would be asinine, and to feed a purpose-built long range match grade shooter with defensive ammo would be counter-productive.

fatduk1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Warren IN
    I still got wolf from the 90"s and newer wolf also in 5.56 , 762x39 , I have run thousands of rounds of it . only problems I ever had was a sks that would not feed HP, I used a big can of elbow grease on the throat and chamber to fix the problem .

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    How about blaming bushmaster and/or fixing the problem, for what they charge they should have a flawless running gun. None of my ars have issues with digesting the cheap russian stuff and they don't ***** too much in the accuracy department either about it. I can make a 1 liter walmart water bottle bounce at 200 yards (lased) without issues. And my SBR eats the stuff like candy going to a fat kid. Why not stop and see what all this whining is about and try it. I have used wolf for everything from pest removal to paper killing, it does the job just fine.

And to the people who cry about it breaking extractors and stuff....
    Model 1 Sales: Bolt Assembly Parts

Part #6 $14 Thank you, it takes all of about 1 minute to swap out and you can buy 8 or more with the savings with your first case of wolf. Not too much of a hard choice here. Stack it deep, clean your gun if your a picky bastard and keep shootin and enjoy the savings.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    While I won't be as blunt as Don, I do agree in principal. If I had an AR or any rifle that wouldn't run Wolf, it would find itself on the used gun rack at the local shop.

As I mention in my video, if your rifle won't run Wolf it's not an issue with the ammo, it's an issue with your gun.

With the cost of ammo these days I have no patience for a rifle that chokes on affordable training ammo, especially when there are countless other rifles out there that will feed it fine. My AR's all digest Wolf without issue. I can't remember the last time I had a failure to feed in one of my AR's including my M16 which eats nothing but Wolf.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I used wolf in my Kimber 1911 in 04 or 05. The round ended up getting stuck in the barrel twice. Luckily for me and the gun it wouldn't fire. The gunsmith at the range pounded it out of the barrel and told me not to use wolf any more. He said it's like putting crappy gas in a Ferrari. Never used wolf again. Love the price though.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    This video really makes me feel better. I thought I was doing something wrong because my ar, my ak and my sks all run fine on this cheap ammo that everyone tells me is junk.:yesway:

deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    Good informational video. I had a problem with a round when it went off it blew a hole where the firing pin hit the primer and shot carbon back into the reciver. No more wolf for me even tho this was 1 out of hundreds.

Top Bottom