• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I would get rid of those 2.5g jugs of water as soon as you can. The plastic is cheap and the jugs will leak on their own.

I bought the same ones from Meijer, and after I had bought quite a few, was told that they form holes and leak just sitting there. I kept an eye on mine, and they seemed fine, until I went in and found one completely empty and another about half way there. I pulled them off of the shelves, and had another leak completely empty on the floor while I was drying the area from the first two jugs. After that I set them all in plastic containers to contain any future leaks while I was trying to use them. I have had two or three start to leak since then. I had about twenty of them, and am finally down to about six.

I have switched over to the Ice Mountain 3L jugs. They are made from a thicker plastic and are designed to interlock and stack. If you keep an eye out at Kroger they usually go on sale for $.49 each.

+1!!!!! I did the exact same thing when I first started prepping. I saw the water in the jugs and thought I had hit the prepping jackpot until I months later when I found a wet floor. Now some of my water is in those blue 7 gallon jugs that most places sell for camping.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    That's a lot of Bertolli. Do you plan on opening a five star Italian joint if SHTF? :laugh:

For real though, nice stock.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    any idea on how much $ you spent total? nice work, address would be appreciated!! as for my living in an apartment i would have to leave it all behind.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    If I was you I would vacuum pack those Jiffy corn bread mixes, and other similar products, or you will have a nice infestation of pantry moths pretty soon.

For storage, any grain based product will lead to pantry moth infestations. Cereal, cake mix, flour, bread mix, etc. Vacuum pack it! Or put whole boxes in big ziplock bags.
    Indiana Self Defense has a ton of 1 and 5 gallon Mylar bags and absorbers on hand

And I may have missed it but I'd throw a couple bottles of apple cider vinegar on the shelf

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The shelf I got at lowes the problem I ran into was the plywood that came with the shelf was too weak so I picked up some 3/4 inch flooring I cut to fit

The problem with those shelves is that they advertise something silly like 800 pound capcity per shelf and then when you put 50 pounds on it it'll start to sag immediately. You did the right thing and put some real 3/4 wood in there and now you have a quality shelf.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    If this is an intermediate location, wood is fine.

If this is where you plan to spend the rest of your life, I would suggest steel, if your foundation can support it. Once your stockpile swells, you'll soon realize how heavy food really is. Water is right about eight pounds to the gallon. Oils, etc. are even heavier. Wood is fine to a point, but steel doesn't falter as easily and it will hold more weight than you'd need for at least a couple years:

Shelving Direct Steel Warehouse Shelving Bays

Or, you could weld your own.

Top Bottom