• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    It is more than likely a bolt action upper, a 5.56 upper may fit on a 6.8, but ar mags will be to small to fit and lock in place.

Nope, nodda, not gonna happen. 6.8 will not fit, to long.

Now you can fit 25 rounds of 6.5 Grendel in a standard AR magazine.

Too long? How does it fit in a .223 lower then?

6.8 OAL 2.245-2.355
    .223 OAL 2.200-2.250

From Hornaday 7th edition reloading manual.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Man if you are happy with the gun and it fits you, then good choice. Stock up on some ammo and be set. I dont know much about the 6.8, that being said the 5.56 is a reliable cartridge, maybe a little low on knock down but we have been killing people with it since the 60's so I think it would fit the bill. Take what you got and go with it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Too long? How does it fit in a .223 lower then?

6.8 OAL 2.245-2.355
    .223 OAL 2.200-2.250

From Hornaday 7th edition reloading manual.

Sorry too WIDE to fit inside the feed lips.

Nothing I have read and people who I have talked to says it will work.

Now for a real life experience, I think Melensdad can verify that it will not work since he has some 6.5's and USED to have a 6.8.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Best shtf guns in my opinion are .223 or 12 guage or 7.62 x 49 if you are on the fence with limited capital...you could argue 308, 30-06, or even the very underrated 22LR ....6.8 is interchangeable with a 270 from what i have read and much harder to find....These others mentioned are much easier to find and plenty effective...

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    It sure can use .223 mags. You just can't put 30 rounds of 6.8 in a 30 round .223 mag.

Sorry, I should have said that you can only get a few rounds in .223 magazines with reliable feeding. Everything that I've seen says you can only get 5-6 rounds.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Isn't one of the criteria for a SHTF rifle that ammo be readily available? If a true disaster hits, you may not have the luxury of staying put. You may have bought 10,000 rounds of your hard to find ammo for your rifle ahead of time, but if you have to move out quickly, how much can you carry? For me, I want a weapon that I have the best chance to find/buy/barter ammo for in any area, even if its far from where I thought I'd be in a SHTF scenario. Also, if I do stay put with my hypothetical 10,000 rounds of rifle ammo, if it is a common round I have additional barter material or even ammo to give to friends and allies. If it's an uncommon caliber, it's of no value to anyone but me. Just my :twocents:.

Johnson

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Now for a real life experience, I think Melensdad can verify that it will not work since he has some 6.5's and USED to have a 6.8.

I've shot a 6.8 running the mags. It works, but you can't get as many rounds in the mag.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    So I guess I have been good all along. I already have a Russian made SKS, Saiga 12, .45 and three .22LR. I just wanted the best gun I could afford and after reading came to the conclussion of the 6.5, 6.8 and now .308. as being the best ammo for the gun.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For a "SHTF" rifle I wouldn't go with an uncommon cartridge. For the stated purpose, that being a SHTF weapon, you'll probably want something you can readily find ammo for. Your only option with 6.8 is to stockpile. If civilization were to collapse tomorrow, you better have an ample stock of ammo because finding any to resupply will be next to impossible.

For everything else but a SHTF rifle, 6.8 is a great cartridge. :)

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Since your "good" for now just get whatever you want. I would suggest that you get a reloading setup next though.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon. If you pick up a box or 2 of primers every time you hit the gun shop it will add up quickly. Having the knowledge and experience of making your own ammunition is a little more valuable than another firearm. It makes shooting cheaper and you can get more out of your firearms if you desire.

Some hate it but I think of it as another hobby.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    SHTF and I'd probably grab my short 6.5 Grendel, but then again I have thousands of rounds on hand and its deadly accurate. Plus I have all the reloading stuff for it too. But I've also got 5.56 AR15s and thousands of those rounds too. I prefer the energy of the 6.5 over the 5.56. I also prefer the extended ranges and I feel very confident with the rifle and cartridge.

The 6.5 Grendel I can pick up for 1050.00 and the 6.8 I can pick up for 950.00.
    Model 1 Sales offers AR15s in both calibers for far less. You can get uppers from them for as low as $350.

By the way, 6.5 Grendel hunting ammo can be had for as little as 60 cents a shot if you buy it in bulk. 6.8SPC seems to run a buck a shot.

Both the 6.5 and the 6.8 fit in standard AR15 lowers. In fact, in a pinch you can feed both of them in most brands of 5.56 magazines. I've interchanged 5.56, 6.5 and 6.8 magazines with each of the rounds and all will feed in slow and moderate fire rates, you'll get some hang ups under rapid fire when you get near the follower.

A 30 round sized magazine will hold 30 5.56 rounds but only 27 rounds of 6.5. I think it will hold 30 6.8 rounds, but I can't recall, got rid of my 6.8 stuff over a year ago because I was so disappointed in the cartridge.

Mag Pul's 5.56 magazines should only be used for 5.56 rounds, but most other magazines work with all three rounds. The only real difference with the "mil-spec" magazines is the follower shape and the feed lips. The rounds do feed best in their own magazines with their own feed lips because those are trimmed slightly differently, but in a SHTF scenario you can make do!

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up for me Melensdad!:yesway:

Both the 6.5 and the 6.8 fit in standard AR15 lowers. In fact, in a pinch you can feed both of them in most brands of 5.56 magazines. I've interchanged 5.56, 6.5 and 6.8 magazines with each of the rounds and all will feed in slow and moderate fire rates, you'll get some hang ups under rapid fire when you get near the follower.

A 30 round sized magazine will hold 30 5.56 rounds but only 27 rounds of 6.5. I think it will hold 30 6.8 rounds, but I can't recall, got rid of my 6.8 stuff over a year ago because I was so disappointed in the cartridge.

Mag Pul's 5.56 magazines should only be used for 5.56 rounds, but most other magazines work with all three rounds. The only real difference with the "mil-spec" magazines is the follower shape and the feed lips. The rounds do feed best in their own magazines with their own feed lips because those are trimmed slightly differently, but in a SHTF scenario you can make do!

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Im gonna say i went cheap on this one i got two 91-30s and lookin for other Mosins cheap reliable guns cheap ammo and im gonna wait till after my vacation to expand

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A SHTF gun needs to be a cal that can be obtained after the SHTF.
    Or that you have an ample supply of ammo for.

My vision of SHTF is portrayed in movies like THE ROAD or ZOMBIELAND, rather it actually played out in real life in Argentina and parts of the former Soviet Republic. Its playing out now in Egypt, Iraq and other nations in that region.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I gotta agree. WRONG GUN. Availability after the SHTF is primary. Not to mention, if you can't clean it, don't you want it to work ALL the time, no matter how bad things get. AK ALL THE WAY

Top Bottom