• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We recently went on an overnight canoe trip up in Grayling MI on the beautiful Au Sable river. If you have never been, I highly recommend it. Took my wife and 2 boys (age 18 & 19) who have never been canoeing. We packed everything we needed for a 2 day trip, including tents, sleeping bags, food, etc.

So we started out the first day in Grayling at Borchers Canoe & Kayak rentals. Super friendly people there. They gave us some tips for navigating the river and helped us pack the canoes. They even complemented me on my packing skills, as they commented about how some people bring everything but the bathroom sink. We set out on our trip and made it about 15 minutes before my wife tipped the canoe by grabbing an overhanging branch.

Well, with that out of the way, it can only get better. The river is mostly shallow and flowing at a nice slow pace, and very clear. Probably wasn’t the best river to take my inexperienced boys since it has some really tight turns and fallen trees on both sides. Their name calling skills were impressive, even reaching the point of semi-professional at times. I gave them a quick crash course in steering the canoe, and their colorful language improved greatly, to the point that I even heard laughter.

We made it 20 miles the first day in about 6.5 hours and stopped at a little primitive camp that is only accessible by canoe. Set up camp, got a fire going and relaxed the rest of the night. The next morning we packed up camp and we’re on the river by 9:30. The first leg of the trip was winding and took more skill in steering the canoe. The second leg, the river opened up and didn’t flow as fast so there was a lot more paddling. We ended up doing 16 miles the second day in about 5 hours, for a total of 36 miles.

As we got back to our car and loaded up, the skies opened up and started to downpour, so we are thankful that we ended when we did. Overall, a memorable trip that was definitely worth it. Everybody slept in the car on the way home because we were all exhausted. I even had to pull over at a rest stop and take a 30 minute Power Nap. Next time we may just go do a day trip, but the overnight trip was definitely something I won’t forget.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpeg
      IMG_0760.jpeg
      790.4 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_0765.jpeg
      IMG_0765.jpeg
      730.1 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_2232.jpeg
      IMG_2232.jpeg
      658.4 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_2246.jpeg
      IMG_2246.jpeg
      449.8 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_2311.jpeg
      IMG_2311.jpeg
      666.1 KB · Views: 36
    • IMG_2289.jpeg
      IMG_2289.jpeg
      518 KB · Views: 35
    • IMG_0765.jpeg
      IMG_0765.jpeg
      730.1 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_0976.jpeg
      IMG_0976.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 40
    • IMG_0977.jpeg
      IMG_0977.jpeg
      884.3 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_0971.jpeg
      IMG_0971.jpeg
      690.5 KB · Views: 37

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Beautiful river, I grew up on it! Congratulations on the trip and thanks for the pics. I like that upper part where you don't have to portage any dams. Did you get any fishing in?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Beautiful river, I grew up on it! Congratulations on the trip and thanks for the pics. I like that upper part where you don't have to portage any dams. Did you get any fishing in?
    We took our poles, but never got the chance to use them. I think the lower part near the dams would have been better for it, but we spent most of our time trying to keep the canoes straight.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    We took our poles, but never got the chance to use them. I think the lower part near the dams would have been better for it, but we spent most of our time trying to keep the canoes straight.
    That is the tough part...logs, and it's flowing a little faster usually, than other rivers that size.

Good on you for taking your young uns. I bet they were pooped.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    The Au Sable is one of the nicest trout rivers in Michigan and a great paddle too. If ya ever get the opportunity, try the Pere Marquette in Baldwin, it too won't disappoint. Try to avoid steelhead and salmon season for peace and quiet.
    Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Um, no. But in hindsight I should have packed some card games to occupy our time at the camp. Would have made the time pass a little quicker.
    Yatzee too. I just got back from vacation and realized we needed to pack smaller. And the factory box is 90% air.

bought one of these and some dice. some golf pencils and printable scorecards and we are set.

And you dont need a place to roll the dice in. you can shake the cup with the lid on it, and just up end the cup and lift the lid to expose the dice. I hope.

Amazon product ASIN B00AT7YBHC

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The Muskegon is a nice day trip. If you research where the federal and state lands are there is camping. On the three dams it is mostly Consumers Power land. No fires allowed. Good fishing though. There is a popular canoe rental in Newaygo. They drop you below Croton dam and you canoe back to town. In at sunrise and back around supper.

Top Bottom