• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    Well I really wasn't going to post this thread, because of how stupid it will make me look, but maybe it will save someone else from the situation that I was in.

Here is the story. Mid afternoon this past Monday I was filling my gas at the BP station in Broadripple at the corner of college and 72nd. I had the top off of the jeep and was filling up when I was approached by an extremely short (think midget) African American woman. She gave me some story about how she just missed a bus and needed to get to another stop just down the road, blah blah blah. I usually just disregard these people but for some reason I decided just this once to help another person out. So I drove her to the original destination, but she wanted to see if some folks (who would presumably give her a ride from there) were at a church just a little down the road. They weren't there so she decided that I could drop her off at her cousin's place, now just a little further down the road.

By this time we were at 38th and college and my internal "bad situation" sensors where going off like crazy, but I figured I would be ok, I mean, I am just trying to help out someone down on their luck. After all she had been extremely pleasant and even cranked up some Jason Aldean and was singing along having a great time. Well she had me take a left onto Fairfield and then another left into an alley one lane) where her cousin's house was on the right. At this point I'm surprised that she didn't hear the alarms in my head going off, I was about 100% sure I was screwed. She was making a couple phone calls to try to get her cousin to let her in, (aka she was still in the Jeep as we waited there) and I noticed a door to a house/warehouse with NO windows behind us to the right opened up, and a rather angry looking African American guy popped his head out and looked over the Jeep, then the door closed. At that point I knew something was about to go down (figuring he was going to get some friends). Then the door opened again and he poked his head out again, however this time there was something shining in his right hand, I tried making out what it was as he moved it to his side and began approaching the Jeep, when I realized it was a gun. I immediately gunned the Jeep and got the heck out of the alley.

As I pulled away I looked at the man in my rear-view and watched as he quickly turned around, as if looking for people (cops I assume) and started stuffing the gun into his pants. I had already planned a couple escape routes as soon as I pulled into the alley, but I was lucky enough that it was just him and he didn't have people to try to block me in. The midget was acting confused at what had just happened and I told her he had a gun, to which she replied with laughter and claiming that it was a hair comb. I said I was not going back down there and she politely got out and walked away.

Throughout the whole thing she was very nice and seemed like a good enough person. However, if the circumstances weren't enough to put her in co-hoards with my to be attacker, I saw two problems with her response. #1 she was not looking back at him, and was on the phone, she therefor never even saw him to see a comb in his hands, second, the dude had dreads...you don't need a comb for dreads.

So lessons learned, I will not be offering my help to anyone anymore, and I probably should go get my carry license that I have held off until now to get! (I have the gun(s) just no license!) In that circumstance that 12 gauge in the back is not near accessible!

Last edited:

benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's some scary stuff. Lucky you had enough situational awareness to recognize what was happening and had a plan to get out. Not an embarrassing story, a helpful example for sure.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So lessons learned, I will not be offering [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] Unreasonable amounts of help to anyone anymore, and I [STRIKE]probably should[/STRIKE] will immediately go get my carry license that I have held off until now to get! (I have the gun(s) just no license!) In that circumstance that 12 gauge in the back is not near accessible!

Fixed that for you.

Be safer in the future...

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    well I feel that the stupidity was that I did not act when all of the alarms were going off in my head and I just kept on going

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's easy to be mislead by people who mean to do you harm. That's why stories like "My car ran out of gas and I just need five bucks to get me to my momma's funeral" work on most people. Luckily, this one turned out OK for you and hopefully it will serve as a warning both to you and to any reader to pay close attention to your surroundings and to never take a stranger's sob story at face value.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It's easy to be mislead by people who mean to do you harm. That's why stories like "My car ran out of gas and I just need five bucks to get me to my momma's funeral" work on most people. Luckily, this one turned out OK for you and hopefully it will serve as a warning both to you and to any reader to pay close attention to your surroundings and to never take a stranger's sob story at face value.

Yes, most of us have been given the story before, I just need a couple more bucks and I will have enough to get home. I'm sure a few occasions are legit, but most are not. Good thing you looked ahead!!:yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, most of us have been given the story before, I just need a couple more bucks and I will have enough to get home. I'm sure a few occasions are legit, but most are not. Good thing you looked ahead!!:yesway:

I've had the same guy give me the same story three different times in locations that were at least 20 miles apart from each other. For someone who's lost while trying to make a delivery and just ran out of gas and doesn't have any money, he sure gets around.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've had the same guy give me the same story three different times in locations that were at least 20 miles apart from each other. For someone who's lost while trying to make a delivery and just ran out of gas and doesn't have any money, he sure gets around.

Yea no kidding. It's a shame that most people can't be trusted these days but that't just the way it is. I am the type that wants to help if I can but in most cases nowadays I just have to block the urge. Unless I know the persons anyways. The last time I was in Louisville at night we were walking around the Galt house, which is a fairly nice hotel. Louisville after hours changes into a crazy place, had 2 people try and stop me saying they needed $5 to get back across the river due to their car running out of gas. No cops or anybody else around to help if needed, luckily I am a large fellow and I urged the gentlemen to leave me alone and that I didn't have any cash on me. Although they did try and follow me for a block pleading. Bad news.:noway:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Even if I were to run out of gas or miss a bus I would be entirely too embarrassed to ask anyone for help. I would chalk it up to I should've known better and started kicking rocks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yea no kidding. It's a shame that most people can't be trusted these days but that't just the way it is.

There have been con artists since the dawn of time. I think the only thing that's changed is that people are far more oblivious to the danger than they were in times past. They treat their life like a TV show now. It's all happening on a screen in front of them and nothing bad can happen to them. The original poster said as much, about how the alarms bells were screaming so loud in his head that he was surprised that the woman couldn't hear them, and yet he ignored them as well.

Note to OP: I wasn't trying to slam you with this post. Please don't take it negatively. I just used it to illustrate my point.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    OP, glad to hear you got out of it fully intact. As scutter said above, trust your gut! The few times in my life that I went against what my spidey senses were telling me it ended up costing me, nothing serious but later I would always end up saying to myself, "why the F didn't I follow my gut". And get that license!!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    There have been con artists since the dawn of time. I think the only thing that's changed is that people are far more oblivious to the danger than they were in times past. They treat their life like a TV show now. It's all happening on a screen in front of them and nothing bad can happen to them. The original poster said as much, about how the alarms bells were screaming so loud in his head that he was surprised that the woman couldn't hear them, and yet he ignored them as well.

Note to OP: I wasn't trying to slam you with this post. Please don't take it negatively. I just used it to illustrate my point.

Kind of like when they get into a car. Windows rolled up they say to themselves "nobody can see me pick my nose". Then the phone goes to the ear, one hand on the wheel, another on the phone, and somehow they can still take bite out that big mac thats in their lap....and why do they have to text while driving? is it that important? Did we even have texting 10 years ago? rant off...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's how I see it:

The OP tried to help someone who said she was in need.

He saw a bad situation developing and planned ways out of it.

Despite his embarrassment at being caught unaware initially, he posted the story to help his fellow INGOers not make a similar mistake.

He now has a plan to prevent future similar situations for himself.

I see no problem here, nor reason for embarrassment.

Rep added.

BigJ, when you make application for your LTCH, use L1 Identity Solutions. It will cost you an extra $11 or so, but you'll have that license in your pocket in days. Go the old-fashioned way and it will take about two months at a minimum. Word to the wise. :oldwise: Here's the link to get you started. http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx

Blessings,
    Bill

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    Here's how I see it:

The OP tried to help someone who said she was in need.

He saw a bad situation developing and planned ways out of it.

Despite his embarrassment at being caught unaware initially, he posted the story to help his fellow INGOers not make a similar mistake.

He now has a plan to prevent future similar situations for himself.

I see no problem here, nor reason for embarrassment.

Rep added.

BigJ, when you make application for your LTCH, use L1 Identity Solutions. It will cost you an extra $11 or so, but you'll have that license in your pocket in days. Go the old-fashioned way and it will take about two months at a minimum. Word to the wise. :oldwise: Here's the link to get you started. Application for Handgun License

Blessings,
    Bill

Thank you, and will do. My little brother actually just applied yesterday through the L1, I haven't yet due to funds, like I said earlier, I have the hardware (I could always find $ for new guns, but not the $ to carry them...ironic I know), just not the piece of paper letting me carry them!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

Good point. :yesway:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well Big J, I think you did well by keeping your head out of your rear and being aware of your surroundings. You got the heck out of dodge when your alarm bells said so and lived to tell about it.

We have all done things that when we look back at them were very stupid, it's just the learning curve of growing older. I had something similar happen to me in Florida 20+ years ago. Never allowed myself to get in a similar situation again.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Your lucky that you got out of that ok! A life lesson for sure, and get your carry permit!! all that said someone will be along shortly to complain about your grammar and sentence structure, and the lack of paragraphs!! :D

Top Bottom