• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't know how many times I've used the carb cleaner spray to get into the nooks and cranny's in a gun that a brush or mop can't get to. Tonight, I'll put some oil on it and try again. I can't imagine in any circumstance where that alone would be keeping a 22lr pistol of all things from functioning 100% all by itself, but I'm willing to try it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

As far as putting the VQ parts in wrong, that's not the case. I followed a youtube video step by step. The firing pin would be impossible to install incorrectly, but the little spring below could be screwed up which is why I confirmed how I had it on you tube. The extractor is impossible in stall incorrectly. I can't imagine how that could be done.

I believe gmcttr is referring to the original VQ install, not your firing pin install, necessarily. But I 100% agree with him that cleaning with carb cleaner and not oiling isn’t going to tell us much of anything until you get some oil on it in the proper places.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Now you've got me thinking its the return spring. It's only job is to get the bolt back into battery. Not sure about the MKIVs, but the MK I, II and IIIs will drop the hammer with the bolt pulled slightly back. Or you have a problematic extractor that's not wanting to slip over the rim. Definitely have my interest tho.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I believe gmcttr is referring to the original VQ install, not your firing pin install, necessarily. But I 100% agree with him that cleaning with carb cleaner and not oiling isn’t going to tell us much of anything until you get some oil on it in the proper places.

Ok, I completely misunderstood that. I kept looking at a picture of the firing pin and trying to figure out how I could have screwed that up. Don't get me wrong, stranger things have happened, but I was pretty confident I had that right. My bad. I was hoping to get a good coat of oil on it last night and take it for a test drive, but life got in the way. Maybe tonight I'll be able to get around to doing that. The whole thing just has me scratching my head.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Everytime I see this thread pop now that I have some spending cash for the gun show this Saturday keeps me thinking I need a MK4 22/45 to pair with my MK2 22/45.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well today I have big full belly of humble pie.

The gun was still relatively clean, so all I did was pour oil all over just about everything on the inside and outside of the Bolt, and a dab in the magazine on the notch where the mag catch does its thing so the oil would get right on the follower. I oil in a mag is usually no no, but I figured I'd try luring everything I could. I only shot with the can on and I ran federal automatch, and cci mini mags and didn't have a single hiccup in around 400 rounds give or take a 100.

I didn't think missing the oil in itself would be the cause in a million years, and then I starting eating slice of humble pie one bite after the next. Maybe I've just been running glocks too long, but wow.

After shooting the gun was caked with crud inside and the mags sounded like they were full of sand. I was it all out with dawn dish soap, brushed clean, q-tips and chamber brushes eventually adding....... some oil!

Man I feel stupid on this one. Maybe I've just been shooting glocks too long.

Thanks for all the help!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glocks need to be lubed also. Sometimes more than others.

A few years back, I was shooting my carry G19 at one of Coaches carry gun matches. I thought there was something wrong with me as the trigger seemed terribly hard to pull.

Got the gun home and checked the pull weight - almost ten pounds. The gun just needed a drop of oil on the 3.5 connector.

Took a bit to figure out the exact problem, because I followed the same routine of breaking the gun down to all the little parts. Oiling of different areas would have pointed to the problem area much faster.

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Well today I have big full belly of humble pie.

The gun was still relatively clean, so all I did was pour oil all over just about everything on the inside and outside of the Bolt, and a dab in the magazine on the notch where the mag catch does its thing so the oil would get right on the follower. I oil in a mag is usually no no, but I figured I'd try luring everything I could. I only shot with the can on and I ran federal automatch, and cci mini mags and didn't have a single hiccup in around 400 rounds give or take a 100.

I didn't think missing the oil in itself would be the cause in a million years, and then I starting eating slice of humble pie one bite after the next. Maybe I've just been running glocks too long, but wow.

After shooting the gun was caked with crud inside and the mags sounded like they were full of sand. I was it all out with dawn dish soap, brushed clean, q-tips and chamber brushes eventually adding....... some oil!

Man I feel stupid on this one. Maybe I've just been shooting glocks too long.

Thanks for all the help!
    I've been known to put a small amout of Lubriplate (sp) on the bolt and in the groove where the ejector runs. Glad to see you showed that pistol who's the boss. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Normally when I put some lube on any of my guns, it's a thin coat of red high temp bearing grease. I've always loved how that stuff stays put, and doesn't burn off like oil. Even when an gun had a hot day at the range with lots of rounds very quickly there's still usually enough grease left on there that it's a greasy grime inside the gun not just caked on dried out carbon. Now that I know oil makes all the difference, the next time I put some lube on this gun it'll be a thin coat of that high temp bearing grease.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Grease gets thicker the lower the temperature gets to the point it slows down what ever it is on.
    There is a reason automotive manufactures call out different weight oil for different purposes on a car and a gun is no different. If you don't believe take three sticks of butter. Put one on the table at room temperature one in the refrigerator and one in the freezer for 24 hours. Take them out and try to cut them with a knife and get back with the results.
    Read your manual or go on Rugers web sight and read it they know what they are talking about.

Top Bottom