• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Our 14year old black lab, Molly went home yesterday after suffering a broken hip last Wednesday. Her injuries where just too great for her aging body to overcome and we just didn't want her to live like that, wanted her to die with dignity.
    Got her home on Saturday from the vet with hope we could get her back to walking, but the prognosis was not good. Wife and I had hope but it was clear Sunday that she had lost all feeling and use of her back legs. Called the vet Monday morning said she would come out and put her down on her way home.
    Was my wife's day off and I decided to do the same and we spent a very special day with Molly. She got all her favorite treats and her favorite lunch, part of my ham sandwich. Molly was a farm dog and loved to be outside, especially on the 4 wheeler riding fence and tending to cattle. I rigged the 4wheeler up and mommy and daddy took her for one last ride, we saw all her favorite cows and swimming holes. About 5:15 the vet stopped and Molly went home very peaceful. It was a beautiful October day, we buried her down by the creek under 2-40' cotton woods, biggest tombstones in the county.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Molly's last ride

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      130.7 KB · Views: 41

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    So sorry for your loss. I think it's amazing how you gave her a fantastic final day. Now excuse me, I've got something in my eye.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It sounds like she had a wonderful home with your family. God Bless you for taking such good care of your pup!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    bless you for making her last day special and thinking of her, not how much you'll miss her now that she is gone.

So sorry it had to end.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry for your loss. We had to put down our boxer last year. She was in constant pain, to the point she was starting to nip at the kids for simply petting her softly.

I took her for one last car ride, and the next day a final trip to the vet. Car rides was her favorite all time thing... if she got loose all we had to do was open a car door and she would come running to us. Chasing her on foot with a leash was futile.

it wasnt easy, but necessary. Sometimes a quick end is better than a prolonged, painful end. You did the right thing.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    That was really hard to read, and I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't look forward to the day it's time for one of my dogs to go. The picture of her on the 4 wheeler was just awesome.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    That is about the nicest tribute to a loved one I have read. Larger font would have been easier to see through the welling up eyes though...

It's never an easy decision. I hope you are able to find a little comfort in knowing that you acted out of love.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks like you had a great dog!

It's hard to have such a good dog knowing it'll come to an end one day. My dog is about 13 and I know he doesn't have lots of time... Hope you grieve well and don't get too down but rather smile about having a good one!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Thank you all for the kind words and condolences for Molly. She was a one-in-a million dog, more than just a pet she was my almost daily companion and help With the cattle. About 5-6 yrs ago wanted to use her to train a new dog but I couldn't do that to her. Today I moved cattle to fresh corn stalks and cried my eyes out, I really miss her in more ways than one.

She was one of those dogs that never new a stranger and would greet you with her tail wagging, loved people and being the center of attention. This was so hard to write and I hope I did her justice, figured she would have loved everybody knowing about her last day.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I just hugged my dog after reading that. Thanks to you and Molly for the reminder that our time here is limited and to love as much as possible.

Top Bottom