• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fester

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Greenfield
    I am Furloughed on Fridays, so today took a run to the Camp Atterbury Shooting Range to fire my K98 Mauser, M-1 Carbine, and M-1 Garand, all for the first time from 50 yards. The weather was awesome and at 10am, there was only 3-4 other shooters on the range.

I knew the Mauser had a terribly corroded barrel. The rounds tumbled as expected and one hit and severed the metal rebar used to secure the target. This old WWII era rifle still has some kick in her.

Next came the M-1 Carbine. It fired smoothly, was enjoyable and had nice grouping.

Lastly was the big girl. The Garand had a huge kick tossing those 30.06 rounds downrange. I experienced a sore nose from my thumb hitting it from the strong recoil. My shoulder aches tonight and my elbow is raw from shifting on the table from all the recoils. There was nice grouping again. This was a bugger to load a new clip after it tossed out the empty. The spring could easily crush a thumb. I have whole new respect for our servicemen who had to fire and reload that thing in heated combat.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I too hated getting my elbows pounded into the metal shooting table at the range. Do what I did. Pick up a pair of **elbow pads** and wear them. They are about 1/2' thick, and really cushion my bony elbows nicely.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I too hated getting my elbows pounded into the metal shooting table at the range. Do what I did. Pick up a pair of **elbow pads** and wear them. They are about 1/2' thick, and really cushion my bony elbows nicely.
    I started taking an old bath towel to lay on the bench to rest my elbow on after a couple of trips ending up with "bench rash"!

OP, we must work at the same place (and have similar tastes in guns ;))... Yesterday was my first "Furlough Friday" too.

Top Bottom