• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's the story of my first deer. It was Friday the 18th. I was sitting in a ladder stand facing south southwest, right into the wind and getting a touch cold because of it. I hadn't seen anything yet. At around 8:00AM, a shot rings out. My friend comes over the radio and says he shot a doe. A few minutes later he comes on again stating he was beginning to gut her. I almost got down and went over to him so I could see how it was all done. I decided to stay, knowing it was still early and there would be other opportunities to learn. About twenty minutes later I looked to the east and low and behold there were two deer. Holy crap it's a buck, I thought. I reached for my shotgun that was laying across the shooting rail. I got about halfway across my body when he looked up at me. I looked away as to not make eye contact. He turned away and took a step that put him perfectly broadside and his head behind a tree. I knew from a previous trip that he was at 30 yards. I pulled the gun up and put the crosshairs just behind his shoulder. I squeezed off the shot. I don't remember hearing or feeling the shot. But he took off like a rocket. My heart sank, how did I miss? I radio'ed everyone that I had shot, but I think I missed. My buddy's dad came on and asked if I had shot a buck. Well I shot AT a deer I said. My buddy said he was almost done and he'd come over and help track. At this point I'm shaking and can barely rack the action to get the remaining shells out to lower the gun to the ground. I start looking around and find a little blood on the lane. My buddy showed up and we started off up the hill to follow him. We found him 90 yards from where I shot him. Took a couple pictures and started to get to work gutting him. While gutting we found the heart, with a 1" hole straight through it. This buck ran 90 yards without a beating heart, I was amazed. More pictures and into the truck he goes. He weighed 140lbs dressed. We think 3.5 years old.

Disclaimer: Blaze orange was worn by all parties and simply removed for pictures.

Anyone care to guess score, he measured 20.5" between the antlers.

IMG_0005.JPG

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Whether 1st or 101st, that's a nice one. Congratulations.

And, heart shot deer often make a death run that covers quite a few yards.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks everyone. I'm really excited about it and want to stop anyone whereibg camo and tell them the story too.

Never got a chance to get buck fever. He came in on my blindside and it was maybe 30 seconds from seeing him until the shot.

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Got my first buck this year as well. Nothing like the feeling of walking up on a rack piled up after following blood. Congrats on a nice deer!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Man, that is a GREAT buck and a good story. Congrats on the first of many.

Still waiting to get my first buck... saw 4 does today along with a gorgeous ring-necked male pheasant and two beavers doing gainers off of their dam over and over again, it was loud in the still woods and a lot of fun to see that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom