• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    Yes there is a muzzle loader season. It is in December. Personally I use mine in firearms season as well. Never liked hunting deer with a shotgun.

cholmstr

Plinker
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    Love muzzleloaders

But you gotta love the knockdown of the slug 12 gauge....but there are some big bucks running around during the late season.

chriscrystle

Plinker
    Mar 14, 2010
    Central IA
    Well the question doesn't really pertain to the season but more the gun. A buddy acquired a inline CVA and it uses the #10 caps. We shot it a few times last fall and it was a bear putting the caps on and taking them off. Sometimes the cap wouldn't even go off til it was cocked and trigger pulled two or three times. Any way is there a replacement breech plug that you can get for inlines so they can shoot 209 primers or should he look into a new rifle?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well the question doesn't really pertain to the season but more the gun. A buddy acquired a inline CVA and it uses the #10 caps. We shot it a few times last fall and it was a bear putting the caps on and taking them off. Sometimes the cap wouldn't even go off til it was cocked and trigger pulled two or three times. Any way is there a replacement breech plug that you can get for inlines so they can shoot 209 primers or should he look into a new rifle?

Use #11 caps.

antsi

Expert
    Nov 6, 2008
    Yes there is a muzzle loader season. It is in December. Personally I use mine in firearms season as well. Never liked hunting deer with a shotgun.

THis is me.

I can shoot a muzzle loader farther and more accurately than a slug (I realize other folks get different results here).

The shotgun would allow a follow up shot, but I have only ever once had a situation where that would have helped.

I don't have any worries about the effectivness of a saboted .45 cal 250gr Barnes hollow point going 12-1400 fps. If I do my job, that deer is going down.

Top Bottom