• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300sx

Plinker
    Jun 24, 2009
    ss of indy
    where is the best place to buy muzzleloader supplies..250gr shockwave, 777 powder, 209 primers..ect..just bought my first muzzleloader and wanting to get to the range..i live on the southside of indy, if it matters with local places...

still not sure if i want to use powerbelt or shockwave bullets...any suggestions?

Last edited:

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Walmart has the best prices on everything you listed. I don't think they are carrying any of those supplies now, but they will soon. Until then... Gander Mountain, Outdoorsman (I think that is the name of the place on 135) in Greenwood would all be places that would carry those supplies.

I've killed a lot of deer using the shockwaves. Haven't had a deer complain yet, and I haven't had one run off either. :-) Seriously, the bullet expands rapidly and has a devistating wound cavity upon autopsy. I have never used Powerbelts so I cannot comment on those. I've hunted with guys that use them and they've never said much about them in either direction.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    As to bullet suggestions, see what works best for your gun and powder charge. Too many variable for anyone to say which bullet will work in a given gun. I can only tell you that both bullets you mentioned imprints great on paper targets. I have yet to tag a deer with my M/L.

300sx

Plinker
    Jun 24, 2009
    ss of indy
    thanks guys..yea i will be shooting paper to get the scope sighted, then hoping to tag a deer this season..wonder when walmart is going to start carrying this ammo?

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    I don't know what type m/l you bought, I shoot a Pro Hunter in 50 cal. and have tried about every bullet and powder out there. The barrel on my Pro Hunter was just a little oversized from the factory and only bullet I could get to shot groups under an 1" at 100 yards with were, Barns TMZ's with 100 grs. of Black Horn 209 and Fedral 209A primers. I spent a lot of time and effort to get it to shot that good, but you don't have to shot 1" groups at 100 yards to kill a deer. I did kill one at 185 yards last year thow.:dunno:

damdayshifter

Plinker
    Feb 3, 2009
    georgetown
    CLEAN THE DAM THING OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget your cleaning supplies. Knight black powder spray foam and a can gun scrubber will be your friend.

I clean at mine every four shots when target shooting but do what works for you.:twocents:

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    The Outdoorsman has supplies for muzzleloaders. Do make sure you get the stuff to clean it, and clean it. Black powder is very hard on barrels and will corrode in days, causing much damage to your rifle.

I use the Powerbelts, I personaly like them over a sabot YMMV.

Top Bottom