• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdscds

Plinker
    Sep 13, 2011
    While I know this sounds like a sissy question, remember I am getting my 110 lb fiancé into shooting so I can throw our savings away on toys..... Will a muzzle break help felt recoil or muzzle flip on a .308 or a 22-250 ... And if so what kind and where do I get it

x10

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a muzzle break on a 308 and I shoot 155 palma loads instead of 168's or heavier but its recoil is not ZERO but it is reduced greatly, I had a smith put on my brake

But the muzzle abuse is greatly increased to the point that it disturbs people around me and due to the overbore condition the muzzle blast from a 22-250 may negate the positive recoil effect as in the sound and the shock wave around you would be abusive. if recoil is a thing go with 223, or 204 for a hot round.

There are no free rides, I have one of the Rem VTR's in 223 and the brake on that one will give you a good blast. I was standing over a friend as he shot it and it felt like I had been punched in the nose with a pillow, It kind of hurt but not so much as you would say ouch but I think it blew powder residue all the way to my brain. (that explains alot)

good luck, If you are going to make to an HHRP match let me know and I'll bring my 308.
    hhrp.org

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i just bought my first brakes. enerything i read pointed at either vias or holland being the best brakes. i went with vias from brownells, more info to follow

the brakes i bought will go on 2, 358bfgs

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Ruger model 77 synthetic in 300 win mag with a smith installed break and the difference in felt recoil and second shot follow up contol is significant....:)

Top Bottom