• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Heller beat the Washington DC gun ban and the now the murder rate in DC is down 25%. The bizarre thing is there are less than 1000 registered guns legally owned in the entire city.

Now McDonald -vs- Chicago just overturned the Chicago gun ban and the 2nd Amendment is incorporated to cover all the states/cities in the US despite the fact that both DC and Chicago still have prohibitions that make gun ownership in those cities a difficult to navigate mine field toward ownership.

Local leaders: High court gun ruling 'step toward' concealed carry - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star
    Local leaders: High court gun ruling 'step toward' concealed carry
    By Chris Green RRSTAR.COM
    Posted Jul 15, 2010 @ 09:49 PM ROCKFORD —

A year after the landmark 2008 Supreme Court ruling in Heller v. D.C., the murder rate in the nation’s capital dropped 25 percent.

The ruling defined the Second Amendment as an individual’s right to keep and bear arms regardless of service in a militia. The ruling also did away with laws requiring residents to keep their gun disassembled with a trigger lock.

“Home invasions in D.C. stopped,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of Illinois State Rifle Association. “People are, by nature, cowards. They are not going to attack people who will fight back.”

Winnebago County State’s Attorney Joe Bruscato likes the sound of that. As the top prosecutor of a county with the distinction of having the state’s highest crime rate, Bruscato said he was not upset when the Supreme Court recently ruled Chicago’s 28-year-old handgun ban unconstitutional.

In fact, he said, “I see this as another step toward concealed carry being a reality in Illinois. “It has the potential to reduce the crime rate. That’s based on other states reporting a decrease in crime and an increase in public safety.”

The latest Supreme Court ruling addressed a Chicago gun ordinance, but Pearson said the ruling applies to every state and local jurisdiction. While Chicago city attorneys under the orders of Mayor Richard Daley have scrambled to create a law that they believe will limit gun ownership but still withstand legal challenges, Pearson maintains gun ownership is an individual right of every law-abiding citizen.

“They can’t make gun ownership so expensive, so cumbersome and so burdensome that you can’t do it. Every person has the right to self-defense.”

The belief that guns should be limited to active and retired law enforcement and to the military has merit, but Winnebago County Sheriff Dick Meyers said that is not realistic and not the direction the court system is going.

“We might as well prepare for it,” he said of the day when Illinois eventually allows some form of concealed carry. “I believe it is just a matter of time.”

Meyers, who supports legislation for concealed carry, is a member of the Illinois Sheriffs’ Association.

The association initially was against concealed carry and then grew to be neutral toward it. Now it supports some of the pending legislation for concealed carry.

“Some of the legislation set what they thought were reasonable guidelines, which includes background checks and training,” the sheriff said. “I think it’s better to put some reasonable requirements on that issue than to let it happen haphazardly.”

In addition to that of local law enforcement, the June 28 Supreme Court ruling also has the support of an unlikely source: Wayne Fricks, director of the Rockford chapter of CeaseFire, an anti-gun-violence group.

“I think it’s good they (the Supreme Court) voted it down,” he said of the Chicago ordinance. “... You have a right to protect your home.”

However, keeping a gun in the home for protection is as far as Fricks is willing to go when it comes to gun owners’ rights. He said a weapon in your home for self-defense is different from being armed in public.

“You get into that gray area when you leave your house with a gun,” he said. “That becomes more dangerous. You have to think about the safety of the whole.

“Bruscato is right. This may be a step toward concealed carry, but are Rockford and Chicago really ready for that? I think that’s a relevant question.”

Staff writer Chris Green can be reached at cgreen@rrstar.com or 815-987-1241.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Heard on the local (Chicago) AM station that Daley hasn't announced he's running this time around. He spent some money as if he were, but hasn't officially announced anything yet. I've been trying to have 1 day of happiness just thinking he won't run again. Of course maybe he hasn't announced yet because the Blago court hearing is still going on.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll believe the change in Chicago when I see it. Daley is the face of the machine which is an entity comprised of everything from powerful law firms to the neighborhood thugs. All have the same goal, extracting as much money and control from citizens as possible regardless of where they are. The machine's mantra is, stay where you are, do as you're told, and we'll take care of you. A false and hollow promise used by tyrants through history.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My brother-in-law, who lives in downstate Illinois, sent me an article some time back which said that the Mayor of some city in Illinois (I think it may have been Springfield or Peoria) had requested the Illinois Legislature designate them a "pilot city" for concealed carry, to develop statistics about whether it would increase or decrease crime. Nice try, but its time had not yet come.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Heard on the local (Chicago) AM station that Daley hasn't announced he's running this time around. He spent some money as if he were, but hasn't officially announced anything yet. I've been trying to have 1 day of happiness just thinking he won't run again. Of course maybe he hasn't announced yet because the Blago court hearing is still going on.

Didn't you hear, the Dems are prepping Daley for a White house run in 2016 so he's not going to have time to waste being the mayor of ChiTown after this election.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    A one-year change in the murder rate does not necessarily indicate anything much at all. Murders are statistically rare, which means that even the normal ebb and flow of events can cause a large increase in percentages. Murder rates are notorious for this fluctuation.

It's dangerous to our cause to trumpet these things too soon and too loudly, because what happens if the murder rate jumps up 30% next year? Our own misuse of statistics can be used against us. If it drops over five years, you still won't be able to prove it was because of more gun freedom, but at least we'll be able to argue that gun freedom hasn't caused more, which is the best we can get.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Heller beat the Washington DC gun ban and the now the murder rate in DC is down 25%. The bizarre thing is there are less than 1000 registered guns legally owned in the entire city.

It could be a positive externality. Since criminals can't tell who is armed, a benefit is created for everyone who isn't carrying.

Top Bottom