• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Fines lead to death anyhow, so I don't see why this is any more special than a speeding ticket.

Receive fine -> don't pay -> go to jail -> try to escape -> be dead

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Where are all the Animal rights activists when we need them.? I am trying to create habitat for wildlife by letting the lawn return to its natural state. I LIKE canadian thistle,pokeweed,dandelions,ect.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You will discover that if you aren't "extreme" in defending property rights, you soon won't have any property rights left. You'll be told how tall your grass may be, what color your house may be, how many flags you may wave, where your garden may sit (or that you may not have a garden), how many pets you may own. You will pay for permission to add carpet to your home, to add a pool your backyard, or to change the direction of your driveway. You will have to send letters to all your neighbors, asking if they object to you building a shed. By the way, no campfires, no plinking with BB guns, no ATVs, no bow & arrow, no feeding the birds...... :n00b:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If people would get off their butts and keep their yards mowed they wouldn't have to enact laws to force them to do it. I'm all for forcing people to mow their yards. Nasty yards are a pet peeve of mine.

While we're at it can we enact laws that allow us to shoot litterbugs? They annoy me too.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If people would get off their butts and keep their yards mowed they wouldn't have to enact laws to force them to do it. I'm all for forcing people to mow their yards. Nasty yards are a pet peeve of mine.

While we're at it can we enact laws that allow us to shoot litterbugs? They annoy me too.
    You should move to a Home Owners' Association community.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I believe the general purpose of their law was not for residents, but for banks that have foreclosed on homes and not adequately caring for the property. If a bank has to take a property, it should be responsible for cutting the grass and hedges. Overall, I don't see this as something aimed at relieving homeowners of their rights, but ensuring the banks aren't allowed to ignore their obligation.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I believe the general purpose of their law was not for residents, but for banks that have foreclosed on homes and not adequately caring for the property. If a bank has to take a property, it should be responsible for cutting the grass and hedges. Overall, I don't see this as something aimed at relieving homeowners of their rights, but ensuring the banks aren't allowed to ignore their obligation.
    It applies to everyone, not just banks. Hard to imagine they intended anything else.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It applies to everyone, not just banks. Hard to imagine they intended anything else.

Agreed. All power grabs, large or small, come with a justification that is usually far away from those who will be most affected by them, and will most frequently face consequences because of them. Unintended consequences are often the most common type by volume.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Yeah, I understand that it applies to everyone. The question is, are the residents willing to accept the ordinance in order make the banks take care of their property? Having everyone held to the same standard is probably an unavoidable consequence made nessary because the banks thumbed their noses at the property owners when they were asked to cut the grass at the properties they repossessed.

I'd bet the bank presidents don't have to worry about banks allowing the grass to overgrow on properties in the neighborhoods where they live. I have two repossed properties in my neighborhood and the banks take care of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You will discover that if you aren't "extreme" in defending property rights, you soon won't have any property rights left. You'll be told how tall your grass may be, what color your house may be, how many flags you may wave, where your garden may sit (or that you may not have a garden), how many pets you may own. You will pay for permission to add carpet to your home, to add a pool your backyard, or to change the direction of your driveway. You will have to send letters to all your neighbors, asking if they object to you building a shed. By the way, no campfires, no plinking with BB guns, no ATVs, no bow & arrow, no feeding the birds...... :n00b:

Sounds like my sister in law's HOA rule book. This is already in play with most gated community's.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ......I have two repossed properties in my neighborhood and the banks take care of them.

There is a few in my neighborhood as well.......Unfortunately, the banks just decide to ignore them until they get a call from the city.

Usually its me contacting the Code Enforcement Office about the vacant homes with the grass over 18 inches. If the home is occupied, I knock on the door and ask if I can help cutting their lawn.

Top Bottom