Not open for further replies.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Greetings and Salutations -
    Me and the Missus are in the process of house hunting in Indiana. Currently live in VERY rural ND. Love it that I can just go outside and shoot targets, skeet, Tannerite or hunt (deer, upland birds, waterfowl and 'critters') out my front/back yard - whatever and whenever I like. I know it is going to be an 'adjustment'. It seems hunting land is at a premium from what I've been told. Looking forward to finding ranges and opportunities to hunt when the time comes. Will be visiting IN for the first time in a couple of weeks - between friends coming from out of state for pheasant/duck hunting and the start of deer gun season.
    We are looking in the areas of Martinsvillle/Crawfordsville/Noblesville and found a couple of nice places down around North Vernon/Seymour/Columbus. Won't have the 'elbow room' we have here, but it will be warmer. Spoiled to be on 240 acres, adjacent to a 600+acre 'lake', and access to thousands of acres of my neighbors' farmland. More cattle than folks around here.

Looking forward to getting moved and settling in, wherever that may be. Any advice would be welcomed. And I will let y'all know where we land.

Take care -
    NDinND

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I hope it's a good move for you, such as a spectacular promotion or something. I agine it's very hard to leave the surroundings you are used to enjoying.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I spend some time in ND & SD due to my work, your really not going to find the same terrain around here. While your looking, everything north of I70 is pretty flat and farmland. Once you get south of Indy, you get into some hills and woods.

It is much warmer though, and a lot more people, welcome to INGO!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    welcomesign_zps0a141f43.jpg

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Thanks everyone! The move is being taken for several reasons - a choice made by compromise between me and the Missus. She wants to be closer to family in Canada, and I said no way are we moving to MI or OH. She wants to be closer to 'civilization', but still have a country feel. I know IN is a gun-friendly state and leans conservative, hence the 'compromise'. Never been to your fair state. Of course, I moved from Sacramento, CA (born and raised in No Cal) to ND 5 years ago never having been here. Talk about culture shock! We live 10 miles from town, which has a population of about 150. It's a friend of mine's family farm he grew up on. So, we had a 'built in' support group - he still has friends and family here. We had people showing up on our doorstep w/ Welcome Baskets - they'd introduce themselves, say they were neighbors, and then proceed to explain how to get to their farm 5,7,10 miles away!! Hell, in CA I had folks 2 doors down that were strangers, through no lack of effort on my part.

I'm figuring 'country folk' are pretty much the same all over. Hoosier Hospitality = North Dakota Nice....Trying to find that balance of city/country. We'll get settled in, I'll find a job and then go from there. Life is good when you;re with the one you love. Corny, but so much truth to it. Just don't want to be around meth-heads, crimmunuls, baggy pants or banjo pickers ;)

Besides shooting - I do woodturning and want to get into home brewing. Seems there are a few groups for both in the Zionsville area. Eventually, want to try my hand at reloading - not practical for me at this time. Also - any Lions Club Members? PM me and let me know about active groups.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome....

NDinND

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Welcome! We live in the Crawfordsville area and commute into Indy for work. The property taxes and housing are a fraction of the price here that they are in then near-Indy suburbs. But of course commuting is more expensive than it used to be. Of the 3 places that you mention, Noblesville will be far more expensive. Martinsville will put you closer to some woods, hills, etc. Crawfordsville (Mongtomery County) has a lot of gun ranges as well as very limited zoning. I would say that both of these areas have mostly good country folk and the occasional meth head.

Indiana does have some "rust belt" areas where the end of Midwest manufacturing has caused some increased unemployment.

The farmland is pretty pricey right now. IMO, that's due to drop pretty soon. But at the moment people will clear woods to farm rather than sell it at a low price for housing.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Welcome from SW corner of Indianapolis. You're looking all over the state, ain't ya?

Here's a quick overview of real estate in Central Indiana:

Marion County/Indianapolis: little bit of everything, from the tiny city lot ghetto home to the several-acre estate. But no matter where you go, the best you're going to get is suburbia (with the exception of the far southwest and southeast corners). There's still an appearance of rural in those parts.

The doughnut counties: these are the counties surrounding Marion Co. Hendricks (to the west), Boone (northwest), and Hamilton (north) are generally the priciest. And you have to travel several miles through the county to get rural as the towns closest to Marion are just as densely populated as Marion. Johnson (south) is densely populated in pockets, but land is super expensive. Hancock (east), Shelby (southeast), and Morgan (southwest) are the best bets in the doughnut counties for rural. Point to note: Martinsville is in Morgan Co. Land is nominally pricey in these counties, mostly due to the high demand for those looking to be outside of Marion Co, but within convenience distance of it. In spite of that, there are still some decent deals, if one has the time to look.

Outside the doughnut counties: You're probably good to go for just about any of them, save far north near Chicago and south across the river from Louisville. The lone exception is Monroe Co. It's the tourist-y, scenic spot with a huge state park. It's hilly and seclude and beautiful....and in high demand, so land/homes are pricier relative to other counties with similar characateristics.

And that's Central Indiana real estate in a nutshell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    88GT's synopsis is really good. Noblesville is much different than Martinsville and C'ville. I think you will find the people here have the same basic midwestern attitude(good) without the accent though.:)

Crawfordsville is a smallish town with some country opportunities as far as places to live. Plus not too far from Indy or Lafayette for the times when you need more amenities.

Martinsville area will put you within easy driving distance to Indy.

I just moved to Bloomington from Lafayette after living there the past 16 years. I have nothing but good to say about the Lafayette area. You can find places to live outside of Lafayette with a few acres, and you will also have one of the best, if not the best outdoor club in the state a few minutes away. Plus and indoor range and several gun shops.

Lafayette is a nice town and there are many small towns not too far from the city, but far enough for you to feel your are in the country.

My son lives in Grand Forks. He and his wife love ND!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom