Mountain House 24 days of savings. 50% off.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Today is day 8. All number 10 cans and pouches of breakfast are what is up today.
    Also some past days. Ground beef for example $44.68,so still 50% off.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Anyone ever pick up a 10lb can and transfer it to individual servings with a vacuum sealer? Thinking about grab and go configurations versus 10 year basement stashes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone ever pick up a 10lb can and transfer it to individual servings with a vacuum sealer? Thinking about grab and go configurations versus 10 year basement stashes.
    I have done if for backpacking quite often.

When you make the vacuum bags you need to leave extra bag. That way when you cut them open with your handy pocket knife you have enough room to add water to rehydrate it(less to clean is always good). About an extra 4-5 inches of "empty" bag is plenty enough that you can add water and make it kind of stand with a little left over to fold(I use a carabine to hold the top shut. Fold it over a couple times and just use the clip mechanism to hold it closed for the 10-15 minutes to rehydrate, usually setting against a tree).

The regular mountain house bags are easier to use honestly. They do however actually take up more room in your pack due to the air in them. The cost is kind of a wash. You save money with the cans in bulk, but lose it in the vacuum bags.

Unless you are talking the vacuum expedition packs(taking up less room), but those are the worst because they do not have enough room to actually add the water needed to rehydrate when you open them.

If you have number 10 cans making up a few meals is easy. You can also store the bags you make back in the #10 can they came out of with the handy plastic lid they come with.

Last edited:

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    I would add the following comment if you are going to partition the cans.
    Add O2 scrubbers to each bag prior to vacuum sealing. The size of the O2 scrubbers come in various sizes. We use them for long term storage of rice, beans, etc.
    Store them in the dark if you are not going to use Mylar bags.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My order I placed shortly before starting this thread(8th) will be at my house via FEDEX 4 days from when I placed it,just got the shipping confirmation information. It will be here by the 12th. It was not a small order.
    Things like the ground beef and beef pieces are cheaper than I have seen them since 2010 or so.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Keep in mind that we are a Mountain House dealer. Our regular price is typically cheaper than their regular price. While that is not always the case with their sale prices, they are usually running dealer sales at the same time they run retail sales. If you are placing a large order, you can email me a list of what you want and how much it would be when you add up all the discounts plus shipping and tax. I can give you a specific quote for those items. It is very likely that I can beat any price they have, including sale prices. The only question would be if you are close enough to pick it up at the store or at a gun show and still save enough to make it worthwhile.
    We frequently get pallets from Mountain House. We have several customers that buy large quantities with specific discounted quotes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Do the items that are on sale change or same items, it just lasts x# of days?
    Not sure, but when I placed my order everything from the previous 8 days of the sale was still 50% off. I think once they reduce it by 50% for this sale it will stay that way until it is over. Currently on day 9 of 24. Each day they add new items.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Keep in mind that we are a Mountain House dealer. Our regular price is typically cheaper than their regular price. While that is not always the case with their sale prices, they are usually running dealer sales at the same time they run retail sales. If you are placing a large order, you can email me a list of what you want and how much it would be when you add up all the discounts plus shipping and tax. I can give you a specific quote for those items. It is very likely that I can beat any price they have, including sale prices. The only question would be if you are close enough to pick it up at the store or at a gun show and still save enough to make it worthwhile.
    We frequently get pallets from Mountain House. We have several customers that buy large quantities with specific discounted quotes.
    Thank you for the information. I am near West Lafayette. I will check out your website and get directions and map distance.
    I am off the laboratory starting Dec 21 through January 2.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, it is going to be tough to eat all this before it expires...in 2053(my new #10 cans, Still have some that expire in 2033 though).

Today looks like they added propacks and a few more pouches(most have been added).

Many number 10 cans still 50% off, some are sold out though.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If anyone is wondering what the difference between Mountain house classic and adventure meals is I can give the answer :)

Most the adventure meals are one serving. The classic meals are 2 or 3 servings per pouch with double the calories almost.

Classics went on sale today.

Top Bottom