• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I've had some people ask me about motorcycle training courses to take to learn how to ride. Since I learned in another state (AMA course) about 18 years ago I 'm nearly clueless about whats offered now. I know of ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education) courses but don't know if to recommend them.
    Does anyone have experience with ABATE basic riders course and would you recommend them?
    or
    Does anyone have suggestions about other basic riders courses available in the Indianapolis area?
    Thanks in advance.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Gage, the ABATE course is great! They taught my wife how to ride and we got a discount on our insurance. The only problem is the classes book very quickly, starting during the bike show in December, I believe.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The ABATE courses are outstanding. I stopped riding for about 20 years then began again 4 years ago. The ABATE course was an excellent refresher and I learned some things that I never knew before that made me a better/safer rider.

I sold the bike I "started" back on to a buddy a little over two years ago with the caveat that "You get it for this price but only if you take an ABATE course in the first 6 weeks." He did and loved it.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    ABATE is the only way to go. I've seen them talk folks who had never sat on a motorcycle and whom I swore would never pass a motorcycle test and get them to the point of riding safely and confidently within a 1 week period of time. Can't say enough.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I have tried for YEARS to get into the IN Abate courses. They always filled up quickly and now the new registration system is horrible.

Bottom line, I've got 20k miles under my belt since I starting trying to get in and now I've given up. Didn't even try to get in this year. I have no clue why they don't open up more courses. It's frustrating.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The abate course is also great because after passing it, you can skip the BMV riding test, and get your M liscense.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Another +1 for the ABATE.
    If you can find it get in. They provided the bikes and everything,
    some class time and then parking lot rides usually on small 250cc +/- machines.
    Teaching breaking, slow speed turning, etc.

I have tried for YEARS to get into the IN Abate courses. They always filled up quickly and now the new registration system is horrible.

Bottom line, I've got 20k miles under my belt since I starting trying to get in and now I've given up. Didn't even try to get in this year. I have no clue why they don't open up more courses. It's frustrating.

Probably financial.

They canceled all the classes in Kokomo due to budget cuts.
    It used to be through the Kokomo school system but they could not fund it this year.
    Probably gone for good. Too bad.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seems to me if they are turning away people (revenue) who can't get in, there isn't a financial problem
    I think the instructors might be volunteers, and the facilities they use are donated as well. It's probably a matter of having only so many instructors, bikes, and slots open. I'm surprised there are no ABATE members here on INGO to give us the 411

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think the instructors might be volunteers, and the facilities they use are donated as well. It's probably a matter of having only so many instructors, bikes, and slots open. I'm surprised there are no ABATE members here on INGO to give us the 411

I am an ABATE Region Officer for Region 11. Marion and the surrounding 8 counties.
    The problem is that the course is funded by the Dept of Education by way of a $7.00 fee (may have just been raised to $11.00) collected on each and every motorcycle plate. The Department of Education cut the funding this year (even tho the same number of plates were sold) which then cut the number of students which could be taught.
    I have considered becoming an instructor, but it totally takes over their lives with the amount of hours it consumes. They are all paid instructors, and they teach the MSF curriculum.
    I have taken the coarse, as well as my wife (twice) and my son. It amazes me that these guys and gals can take someone who has never been on a bike, or even understands what a clutch is, and on their second night can have them riding in circles out on the riding range. I have the utmost respect for the instuctors and their dedication.

PM me and I can give you a little insight on how you may be able to get into a class.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am an ABATE Region Officer for Region 11. Marion and the surrounding 8 counties.
    The problem is that the course is funded by the Dept of Education by way of a $7.00 fee (may have just been raised to $11.00) collected on each and every motorcycle plate. The Department of Education cut the funding this year (even tho the same number of plates were sold) which then cut the number of students which could be taught.
    I have considered becoming an instructor, but it totally takes over their lives with the amount of hours it consumes. They are all paid instructors, and they teach the MSF curriculum.
    I have taken the coarse, as well as my wife (twice) and my son. It amazes me that these guys and gals can take someone who has never been on a bike, or even understands what a clutch is, and on their second night can have them riding in circles out on the riding range. I have the utmost respect for the instuctors and their dedication.

PM me and I can give you a little insight on how you may be able to get into a class.
    I took the class years ago. It is great, and they do an amazing job. "Papaw" was my instructor, talk about a great guy. Thanks for bringing this info. to the table.:yesway:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Thanks ALL!

Thank you ALL! Information offered was exactly what I was looking for.
    I'll pass on this to others.
    There appears to be plenty of opportunities left this season for taking the basic ABATE course.
    It IS in demand; first opening is in mid Sept for downtown locations, but I was surprised by the several locations and dates available.
    All will be rep'd..if I run out I'll catch you ASAP.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    ABATE teaches the MSF standardized course, just take their political no helmet propaganda with a grain of salt, as they will tell you wearing a helmet increases the chance of being paralyzed exponentially, but I'd rather have a broken neck than my brains scattered all over the tarmac.

One of my best friends from high school survived having his head ran over by a semi wearing a helmet with no injury besides gravel in his arms

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Another vote for the ABATE course that teaches the MSF curriculum. Well worth the time and cost. Big discount on insurance if you can show them the certificate of completion.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've been meaning to sign up for an ABATE class. I need something around Carmel and it's always full. There are 2 or 3 still open in Lafayette though for the month of August.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've been meaning to sign up for an ABATE class. I need something around Carmel and it's always full. There are 2 or 3 still open in Lafayette though for the month of August.

There's another location (at least there was) on the South Side, west of Harding and north of 465. Much closer than Lafayette.

If one of you guys REALLY want to get into a class, show up the night one starts. They give people a few minutes to get there then begin letting walk-ons sign up based on a lottery. There nearly ALWAYS tend to be no-shows. I did this two Fridays in a row and got in on the second attempt. It's best to pick a weekend that is going to be rainy or blisteringly hot... it tends to weed out the weak and open up for walk-ons. ;) The weekend I picked was a combination of both. :n00b: The instructors got soooooo psyched when it began to rain... Sadists. :runaway:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground

Later in the season (Sept - on) might be advantageous. Taking the course in cooler weather would be advantageous since you're going to be geared up (jacket, gloves, helmet etc...).

I think you're more apt to find some good deals on riding gear at the end of the season too...at least I have in the past.

If you or anybody needs some gear just to get started (jacket, gloves etc) before you find your own I've got some and would be happy to lend them out. I think it's great to see more lady riders out there!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You have a point about the weather. I will have to check out the class times then for the cooler months. Thanks for the reminder.

Top Bottom