• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wife and I were on our bikes all day. First ride on a new battery.
    I didn't have one starter clunk that points to a bad compensator, but neutral is still hard to find. Hoping the shoe just needs adjusted.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did my first 500-mile day ever on a motorcycle yesterday. 251 miles each way to the DuQuoin State Fair and back with spotter duty during the 100-mile USAC Silver Crown race in-between.

I was going to swap out the less-padded low seat for the stock seat, but ended up sticking with the low seat and I’m glad I did. Most of the fairgrounds property and around the perimeter of the 1 mile track were loose surfaces so I got to do a lot of low speed bike handling among the traffic and crowds in and around the midway.

I’m tired as hell, but I got through the day just fine. I would have liked to have had a Gold Wing until I got to the gate, my Africa Twin inside the fairgrounds, and switching back to the Gold Wingto get home. A metamorphocycle LOL.

I may be pushing 60 but my backside handled it OK. And the bike does have a pretty plush ride, CarPlay, navigation, all the goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
      IMG_1433.jpeg
      334.3 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_1434.jpeg
      IMG_1434.jpeg
      406.7 KB · Views: 10
    • 71536276317__E28BF041-B870-4A20-9B42-C0F7BD6E3B9C.jpeg
      71536276317__E28BF041-B870-4A20-9B42-C0F7BD6E3B9C.jpeg
      657.1 KB · Views: 10

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I didn't hit the 500 mile mark yesterday, but I did get in around 470. I decided to go down to Nashville with the idea of visiting a few Harley dealers. Traffic was so bad I just couldn't deal with it, so I visited one dealership, pointed the Ultra North, and took the long way home. I knew I was going to be in trouble when I saw traffic getting awful 30 miles North of town.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The highway construction industry may well be the death of the long leasurely ride.

I only rode a couple hundred miles to pay respects to a relative a few weeks back. Rode three major highways and was "in construction zone" more than I was not.

:xmad:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It waa a hot ride so mine was short today. Might go out later but all the party people on the road I may bow out.
    My sister was killed by a drunk driver while my stepbrother was severely injured so I stay the heck outta the way.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've rode on dozens of days where the temperature was much higher than today, but for some reason, I was hotter than the engines of hell out on the bike. I stopped at this little dive I frequent on the way home and I sucked down four Cokes with my sammich and fries.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    All but about 50 of my 500 miles this past Saturday were on the super slab. The AT has a really nice suspension and the CarPlay helps, but the constant wind, noise, vibration, and steady expansion joint thumps tried to put me into a state of highway hypnosis.

I was trying hard to strain my vision to see as far ahead as I could looking for hazards in the road and crazy cage dwellers. I finished the ride about an hour and a half after dark and I don’t like that much. I was trying to follow cars with really strong headlights for a better long range visibility of road hazards including deer. The stretch between Terre Haute and Indy is particularly disconcerting with all the woods on both sides. I was glad to get a Plainfield where there’s lots of street lights.

Happy to put the bike in the barn and get back on four wheels about 10 PM that night, I saw no hazards directly in my lane for the whole trip. There were lots of retread carcasses off to the side, and one dead deer just off the fog line. It’s almost like the state of Illinois has sweeper crews keeping the interstates clean.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Took a little couple day trip up to western Michigan a month or so ago. Stayed in Ludington and did a couple day ride loops.
    First day we headed north and picked up 22 just north of Manistee and followed it up to Northport. Then we headed south to Traverse City and cut back across on 72.
    Second day, the called for bad weather never materialized, so we headed south to Muskegon taking Lakeshore, Ridge, and Scenic as much as possible. The riding isn't technical or as fun as say the Smokies, but some of the scenery you get is truly world class.
    Got just a few photos........ next time we'll do a bunch more stopping and checking stuff out instead of trying to cover ground...

Inspiration Point just north of Acadia

Inspiration Point.jpeg

Got to dine al fresco at the Woolsey Memorial Airport just a bit north of Northport.

IMG_2932.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg

We did do a bit of "touristy" stuff.......This is the lighthouse in Whitehall.
    Whitehall Lighthouse.jpeg

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went to northern Utah over the weekend with my son-in-law on a hunting trip. While he was hunting I rented a bike to explore the area. Very cool riding. Explored part of the Oregon Trail, Golden Spike National Historical Site and the Northup Gruman Rocket facility.
    View attachment 297394
    View attachment 297395
    View attachment 297396

That's very cool!

Wonder if you could pass along some of the details of the bike rental? Cost, requirements, insurance, etc?

TIA

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    That's very cool!

Wonder if you could pass along some of the details of the bike rental? Cost, requirements, insurance, etc?

TIA
    I found it on riders-share.com. Like a Turo for bikes. Individuals put their own bikes up for rent. You have to buy insurance thru them. Cost me just over $300 for two days.

I thought it was a great deal. The bike was a 2017 Limited CVO with 31,000 miles in great shape.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Just returned from a 4 day trip.
    Left early Saturday morning and rode two lanes to Parkersburg West Virginia.
    Spent all Sunday on twisties, then yesterday all morning on a very circular route to Hillbilly Hotdogs for a late lunch before heading back to Parkersburg.
    Another two lane trip home for a total of 1100 miles on the 2021 Goldwing DCT.
    Great roads and a great ride.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just returned from a 4 day trip.
    Left early Saturday morning and rode two lanes to Parkersburg West Virginia.
    Spent all Sunday on twisties, then yesterday all morning on a very circular route to Hillbilly Hotdogs for a late lunch before heading back to Parkersburg.
    Another two lane trip home for a total of 1100 miles on the 2021 Goldwing DCT.
    Great roads and a great ride.felong
    Thats funny, I will be finishing around Parkersburg. I have a life long friend in rehab there. I will see him on the way home.
    I left again on sat from Alexandria heading east. Took the single lane just about to Dayton. Headed north at Columbus, Oh to Akron and had lunch with a friend.
    We headed to Kent State for a lookie see and then I busted off to Hancock, Md for the night and in the morning on to see my mother in Annapolis for a few days.
    Caught up with a son at my familys place in So Md today and we went crabbing for a bit.
    I'll bust out in a few days and see some other friends in VA, WV and NC over the next few days it looks like. IMG_20230902_152856.jpg

20230903_160929.jpg

I'm not a huge selfie guy, heres a pee and gas stop on the Ohio Turnpike.

I went down to Annapolis Harbor after lunch today and had a Storm Brothers Ice Cream. Ive know one of them for 45? Years.
    20230906_133012.jpg

20230906_133147.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom