Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish Sparkles!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I picked this 686 up a few weeks ago at a pretty good price. It was mechanically in very good condition, but had quite a few handling marks from general use/carry over the years.

I did some reading and found some high recomendations for Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish, available at WalMart, Autozone, and most other auto supply places. With a bit of some elbow grease, does a fine job. I got this revolver looking almost new in about 4-5 hours of scrubbing away in front of the tv a couple of weeks ago. It was looking so good, I had to buy a new set of grips too. Some of the heavier dings I buffed with a Scotchbrite wheel first to blend, then polished right over.

I did my SP101 snubbie too, but didn't go quite to the extent of gross as this one.

So, if your bored and looking to shine up some stainless steel, give Mothers a whirl! Just take note though, the more you scrub, the more mirror-like the finish will get.

I wish I had a better camera because my poor resolution just doesn't do this justice...

mothersmag2.jpg

mothersmag1.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I probly have a half dozen liitle cans of that stuff around my house. I started out using it on my four wheelers and dirt bikes when I was 10 or so and have sworn by it ever since. definatly greate stuff. Here are few mothers lovers.
    282f0cg.jpg

The BlasterResto!
    24dr5a0.jpg

ixyt80.jpg

2lbdkhu.jpg

Last edited:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nice job.

I have been wanting to do this on my Smith. I am sure the process is simple, but I have never polished anything before. Other than your scotch brite pad to blend the bigger marks out, did you just use a soft cloth to rub the polish in and a clean one to wipe away after?

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Nice job.

I have been wanting to do this on my Smith. I am sure the process is simple, but I have never polished anything before. Other than your scotch brite pad to blend the bigger marks out, did you just use a soft cloth to rub the polish in and a clean one to wipe away after?

Exactly- I cut up an old t-shirt and scrubbed away. I just kept using the same piece and it eventually soaked up such a good bit I didn't have to add much to keep going. I did some minimal disassembly and removed the cylinder and cylinder release button, but I've read that others just leave it all together. I masked off the hammer, trigger and any other spots I was worried about getting Mothers in. And then every so ofter, wipe off with a clean rag and check your progress. It is slow, but not near as slow as I thought it would be. All depends on how mirror like you want it. You will see results very quickly though.

I'm getting anxious to take it to one of my 3" GP100's next. Already did my SP101, but the Rugers take a bit longer because they start with a bit rougher finish than the S&W's.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Looks good. I like wading polish, but that's just me. Now that I have a stainless gun, I'm going to have to find it. Again good looking gun. :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom