• ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Awesome story for sure..

But 2 hours of not breathing? Is that right? How is that possible? And even if it is, how is there not some type of major brain damage? :dunno:

Sorry, me not doctor... me not understand.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Awesome story for sure..

But 2 hours of not breathing? Is that right? How is that possible? And even if it is, how is there not some type of major brain damage? :dunno:

I was initially thinking the same but I'm a little relieved knowing that brains have a remarkable ability to a heal/repair and it appears Jamie is doing fine.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Awesome story for sure..

If you read all the way to the bottom, in the last section (it looks sort of like a comment on the story) it says that the baby occasionally made a gasping sound. The doctors reassured the parents that it was just a reflex. But after he continued doing it she thought otherwise.

It is remarkable how little oxygen the body can survive on if your body is calm/relaxed. I seem to recall a story about some guy that can hold his breath for some remarkably long time. I would bet that a baby also has a large inner calm to be able to handle such a thing and survive with little brain damage.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Awesome story for sure..

The kid must have been breathing imperceptibly for some time - 2 hours of apnea would certainly be fatal.

As for the rest of it, it is not completely understood by medicine but studies of "kangaroo care" - preemie babies having a lot of skin-to-skin contact with mom - are showing some pretty astounding results. Goes contrary to established practice - for years we've been saying you have to minimize contact with extreme preemies. Kind of like the '50s when "medical science" was saying how much better formula is for babies, so moms shouldn't breast feed :rolleyes:

Top Bottom