• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I have been looking into the IPDA info and they state that a common service pistol or revolver such as a Beretta 92F, Glock 17/22, Sig 226, Colt 1911A1, S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 carried in a common pancake style holster is all that is needed to be competitive in IDPA matches.

What model of 1911 gun do you guys see the most? Other sites state that the Kimber, SA, STI are the most popular, and occasionly some Colt models shop up.

Does this appear to be the same around Indiana?

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As someone who puts on IDPA matches, and who SOs at many, many others, I'll say I see Glock 17s most of all.
    The above poster is right about Smiths: M&P 9s.
    Sig 9s and Kimber .45s would follow those.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    The Glock 34 is the most common gun. I have one, think it's so/so, but if you like Glocks, it's the way to go.

I'd love to use my CZ 75 SP01, but it's a c-hair heavy for IDPA rules.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    If I had to give the simplest answer, I'd say it pretty much falls right in line with what sells in the gunshops.
    Most common seems to be Glocks and 1911s at about an even split, with S&W M&Ps right behind, then Sigs right after that. Then the rest falling in behind.

Breaking it down by category, and just going on casual observation without keeeping notes or anything, I'd say...

SSP:
    Mostly Glocks and S&W M&Ps, with some Sigs and a Beretta here and there. I'd say Glocks and M&Ps make up around eight out of 10 SSP guns, though. There are probably still more Glocks than M&Ps, but it's getting closer.

ESP:
    I'd guess it's more 9mm 1911s than anything. I usually shoot a Browning HiPower, which fits the rules so close it always seemed the category was created for them, but I don't see many others using them.
    Truthfully, it looks to me like there aren't that many that shoot ESP regularly, at least around here, so it's hard to get a feel for it.

CDP:
    This seems to follow what sells in the gunshops as I was saying. Springfields are probably most common, with Kimbers second, then the rest. I'm guessing there are as many SAs as the others combined.

Revolvers:
    I don't know. I never really watched that close.

I usually just shoot what I'm carrying at the time. Swap out the expensive ammo for the reloads and shoot.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We just got done with the Indiana State IDPA Match at Atlanta conservation club, actually. I was the SO on one of our stages (Stage 4 in Bay 2) and one of the things I noticed was the preponderance of S&W M&Ps. All day, it was pretty much shooter after shooter with either 1) a 1911 of some sort, 2) a Glock 19, 17, or 34, 3) an M&P. I actually didn't bother to count because out of the 100+ shooters I saw, those accounted for the majority of the guns.

Guns that were unusual did stand out: I had two shooters running Beretta 92s, maybe a half dozen running some variant of the XD, 3 Sigs that I remember, and even one guy with the Taurus. There was even a shooter running the Ruger SR9.

One of the things that working a major match will reinforce though is that no gun is 100% reliable if you shoot it enough. I saw Glocks and 1911s go down with malfunctions throughout the match, so if anyone ever tells you that his or her blaster has never malfunctioned, it just means they haven't shot it enough.

The bottom line though is to find the gun that you like to shoot. Don't shoot something because you saw someone else shooting it and they had a good score. Find the gun that fits your hand and you feel comfortable with, and then go to town with that.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    The bottom line though is to find the gun that you like to shoot. Don't shoot something because you saw someone else shooting it and they had a good score. Find the gun that fits your hand and you feel comfortable with, and then go to town with that.

Great info, I have a G-19 that I like a lot, but I need to practice more.

I plan on buying a 1911 soon and wondered about this because I want to get my son going in shooting sports too,

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I see mostly SA and then Kimbers. I use a Taurus. As far as others, Glock 19's and this year at the state match there were LOTS of 9mm 1911's from various makers.

I was in the same bay as AHAB as CRSO on Course of Fire 5, next to him.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    The STI is tricky, since it's a production gun, technically, but a much, much more refined piece than most off the shelf 1911's. I also know VERY few (read: 0) people who regularly carry a 9mm 1911 style STI.

IDPA is turning into a game more than a practical exercise, just like most disciplines before it.... But... diluted practice is better than no practice at all.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    SSP is probably about 80% Glock of some sort, with some M&P's thrown in.

CDP Seems to be split between Springfields and Kimbers.....

ESP is beginning to become known as the "XD category"

SSR is usually some variant of a K/L-frame S&W, usually a Model 686 or 66....

ESR is 99% S&W 625's....

Top Bottom