• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    There is no "most accurate ammo" for most firearms. For off-the-shelf ammo, the best you can do is to try a variety of ammo to see what works best in your particular firearm. For the best possible accuracy, one would have to be a reloader, and spend quite a bit of time doing load development.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    During the shortage I wound up with a few different manufacturers, Magtech, S&B, Blazer, and some IMI. Wasn’t a whole lot of difference up to 25 yards. The IMI says target but is JHP and little hotter than the others mentioned above. I’d say close to +p. YMMV.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Before the shortage I tried to always use Federal American Eagle 147. It worked the best across my stable. You can get match ammo for 9mm but I haven't tried any of it. There is definitely a difference between the manufacturers with some giving consistently better or worse results but a lot depends on your individual firearm as well.

pewpewINpewpew

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    I really liked NOVX. I forget the grains but it was under 100. Too expensive to keep shooting but was pretty accurate at 25 yards and in.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    124 Grain boolits that I’ve painstakingly researched and developed my own hand loads for my 9mm pistols. A lot of time and effort and “load ladders” helped me find out what load is best for each of my pistols. The only commercial loads I use are in my EDC and even those that I found were darn good were found by way of trial and error. Fun stuff! :shoot:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since the shortage started a few years ago and I used up the last of my primers, I have been buying different brands of factory 9 mm. Like Bassat, brass case only.

I find them all about the same. With my shooting ability at least.

I agree that a ransom rest with some strict testing protocols would be the best way to sort out what is the "most accurate".

I liked my handloads the best but I can't say they were more accurate. They were softer shooting though. :) And cheaper.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone know of any 9MM that is actually branded as a Match load.

Federal has the famous 45ACP gold medal match... but its only available in 45 acp and 38 special.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Range accuracy, like most others I buy what's available and affordable in the same weight as my self defense loads

I'm a fan of HST, so currently in 9mm shooting 124 gr rated at as close to the same mv as the HST as possible, and at the range I work on accuracy in stages out to 25 yds. I find working close to far allows me to 'warm up' a bit on fundamentals before I go long

I don't always carry 9mm, but everything I carry has a barrel shorter than 4". When it warms up I may play around with some 115 gr SD ammo like gold dots or v-crown to see what I think of a bit more velocity out of my barrel length

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Range accuracy, like most others I buy what's available and affordable in the same weight as my self defense loads

I'm a fan of HST, so currently in 9mm shooting 124 gr rated at as close to the same mv as the HST as possible, and at the range I work on accuracy in stages out to 25 yds. I find working close to far allows me to 'warm up' a bit on fundamentals before I go long

I don't always carry 9mm, but everything I carry has a barrel shorter than 4". When it warms up I may play around with some 115 gr SD ammo like gold dots or v-crown to see what I think of a bit more velocity out of my barrel length
    you might find this guys videos interesting. Search @ShootingTheBull410 on YouTube.
    A few years back he did a series of videos testing 9mm defensive ammo with a 3” barrel pistol. Not sure I agree with all his finding but some of the results were interesting. Warning, you can kill an afternoon easy watching but fast forward is your friend.

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    I use Herter's from Cabelas because it's cheap and shoots just as fine as the winchester, federal, and am eagle ball ammo I have shot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom