• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    Just bought a new shotgun. Before I put the barrel on I went ahead and removed the dowel from the magazine. Manual states that this is a 4+1 mag. I can fit five in the mag now, making it a 5+1. Any insights on this? Also, it came with a full, modified and imp choke option. Tried looking these up online to find the best choke to use for shooting clays. It seems that there is a wide variety of opinions on this. What are your thought?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have a Mossberg 500. It will shoot several different shells ranging from 2.5 inch trap or bird shot to 3 inch magnum shells. Naturally, If I am shooting 2.5 inch shells instead of 3 inch shells I will gain .5 inches with every short shell. If your magazine holds four 3 inch shells plus a small bit of slack, then four 2.5 inch shells saves 2 inches total. the 2 inches plus some slack is enough for another shell...... Totaling 5.

My shotgun has an extended magazine so if I remember correctly, (I rarely do) I think that I can get 2 extra shells if I use the short ones rather than 3 inch magnums.

Some guys like the increased capacity presented by the 2.5 inch shells, rationalizing that even 2.5 inch shells in 12 gauge is extremely over powered anyway, so they aren't loosing anything and are gaining 2 shots. Other guys want the increased power of 3 inch shells so that the intended target disappears entirely and blows away in a cloud of smoke, thinking that with 3 inch magnums another shot is redundant anyway.

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    Copy that. I had a brain fart and was reading the 3 1/2 round capacity. Thanks for the explanation. I would have to lean on the side of having the two extra shells compared to the 3in mags. I appreciate the feed back. Any thoughts on the chokes?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My shotgun is a sentry or riot gun, so it is cylinder bore. I don't shoot skeet but I suppose that the full choke is what you should use for clays. The modified would probably have a larger pattern and so wouldn't be sporting since you could be a lousy shot and throw 10 foot circles of shot into the air. you would never miss! I bet there is a hardware requirement specified during a skeet shoot. This is just me guessing though. I am sure that the experienced guys will show up by morning to answer you.

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I have a 535. It's good to know it can fit 5+1 rather than just 4+1 like my 870. I've never taken the dowel out because it's my waterfowl gun.

Top Bottom