• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Okay, so here's the story. I just moved to Illinois and they just passed the conceal carry law.

I use to carry a Glock 19 in Indiana and loved every inch of that gun.

When I moved here I bought a Mossberg 500 12G with a 28" barrel and full synthetic stock and the 18" barrel and pistol grip. I love the gun for home defense because my fiance can use it easily. Now that I'll be able to carry soon, I want to sell it and get a Glock 19 again. I'm not in the market for both of them, otherwise I would.

What would you guys do? I really would like to carry here in Illinois, I miss the feeling of security when I'm with my future wife.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I think you're probably going to have to put some money in with the Mossberg, but if your primary use for either is going to be defense, get the Glock for sure. You're many times more likely to have it when you need it.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If the GF can effectively use the Mossberg, I'd save a few bucks a paycheck and start a G19 fund. Ultimately, you'll end up with both firearms and not have to lose money selling the Mossberg.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No disrespect as I own 3 Mossberg 500s (Mine that Ive had since I was a teen, plus two I inherited from my dad) and love them, but they arent worth crap as far as cash value. Dime a dozen, Inexpensive shotguns like that dont get you enough to worry about trading.

Hang onto it for home defense and possibly hunting, trap, etc. Buy your 19 outright with cash.

Just my :twocents:. :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How much are you really going to get for a used Mossberg when it comes trade in time? How long would it take you to save up that much cash? Would it not be better to just wait that long and have both?

narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Haha,

Yeah, I understand the logic... I do like having the Mossberg, especially with the 18" barrel. Maybe I'll just do that then. One of the reason's I really like the Mossberg is because she can rack one back and the sound might scare someone off as well...

narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Well here's the thing. The guy that I sold the 19 to STILL has it. He bought it from me with a few boxes of ammo and a few magazines. He has NEVER shot it since I sold it to him, never touched it. He is interested in trading me for the shotgun + cash. He has bought a bunch more ammo and he now has 7 magazines for it. What kind of cash should I give him? I'm not sure exactly how much ammo he has.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Depends on the Mossberg and how much ammo he has. .40 is going for a good amount nowadays, as is any shotgun that has a camo pattern it seems like. If the mossy is like new, blued, with both barrels i'd say 300-325 value, add 50-75 for camo, and value the glock at probably 550 with all the extra mags, plus whatever ammo he has.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Haha,

Yeah, I understand the logic... I do like having the Mossberg, especially with the 18" barrel. Maybe I'll just do that then. One of the reason's I really like the Mossberg is because she can rack one back and the sound might scare someone off as well...

:rolleyes:...
    If they hear 'at........means I 'miss'd'.......an'at ain't likely........:shoot:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ...because she can rack one back and the sound might scare someone off as well...

In defensive training circles, the hard cores will say that is a bad idea. If your intruder just happens to ALSO be armed, you just gave away not only your position, but also what type of weapon they are up against. Yes, most likely it would scare them off. Worst case, in the words of Gunny, "you just signed your own death warrant."

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    And if they bust into where you are and you don't have a shell chambered, you might react without racking. Click and no bang is bad business.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Agreed. This isn't Hollywood. Remember the first rule: All guns are always loaded. I follow that one religiously.

Don't confuse that one with, "Treat every gun as if it's loaded." No, ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I try not to sell, I did once and I still regret it. Like someone else said, 500s are cheap. Starr a Glock fund, especially if the girlfriend is more comfortable with the Mossberg.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    Love my Mossberg...stick with the shot gun. I agree with others -- start a G19 fund because you'll end up with both in the long run anyway!

bob190e

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I agree with earlier post. I would keep the Mossberg and save some $$$ for the G19. Will your buddy hold it for you while you save $$$ to purchase it back from him?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I own that very same shotgun. I replaced the pistol grip with a regular stock. Each has it's own applications. I feel the very same about my shotgun as you felt about your Glock.

Since the sale of the shotgun won't bring enough proceeds to even APPROACH buying the pistol, i reccomend keeping it. Which is better (more fun), one firearm or two? I bought my shotgun new with a large box of ammo for less than $200. Anyway, giving the shotgun to your wife would keep her hands off YOUR gun! (um, err the glock pistol is what I'm talking about)

jackofspades

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Fishers/Noblesville
    Mossberg is on my short list of guns to purchase, and I own a G19, so I know the connundrum you are facing. That being said, I know the resell value is minimal on mossberg, so I would save up and get the G19, like others on here are discussing. Because, even though I want a mossberg, I know I wouldnt do without my G19.

Top Bottom