• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I am looking at getting a couple of Russian Mosins. A carbine and full size both. The carbine is $250 and the full size is $125. What do I need to look for and do you think they are worth it? I know nothing about them but sounds like a good price to me. Thanks for all you help everyone.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Clean them thouroughly! they are covered/filled with cosmoline, and likely have been for many years.

Kereosene works good to start, finish with any regular bore cleaner.

The one's I have shot have been accurate, even with old surplus (corrosive ) ammo.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I am looking at getting a couple of Russian Mosins. A carbine and full size both. The carbine is $250 and the full size is $125. What do I need to look for and do you think they are worth it? I know nothing about them but sounds like a good price to me. Thanks for all you help everyone.

Check and make sure all the serial numbers match on all the different parts of the guns. I can't remember all the the exact parts, but I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know.:rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I'll second the motion to clean well. REALLY well - don't forget about the recesses for the bolts' locking lugs - they are usually full of crud, and are the primary culprit for the Mossin "stick bolt" syndrome. There is also some work you can do on the bolt internals. Search YouTube.

GgRodregez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    I think you will have trouble finding any rifles that don't have newly scribed or stamped "matching serials". I am thinking if you buy a Century Arms, they put new serials on them, which may not reflect actual "matching" parts.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have an M44, a standard 91/30 and a sniper version. I don't think I would ever be without them. Cheap to shoot, and a lot of history behind them.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    125 for the full size is just about right, 250 is too much for a 44. In my experience, matching numbers, hex receivers etc are nice extras, but any Mosin in good shape (preferably counter-bored, good headspace, etc) is a good tool worth having around. Youtube has multiple guides for checking for counterbored guns, and measuring headspace can be done with a simple gauge and a 3 minute video walk through.

Once you get them, you'll need to get all the cosmo off.

Simple Green (1.97$ at my Wally World) works wonders on all the metal cosmo. I put mine in foil turkey trays with some warm water mixed in with the Green, worked all the parts over with a brush. Used a hair dryer on the stocks. Thats pretty much all of it. Getting the bolt apart/together the first few times is rough but youtube is your friend there. Hoppes bath the bore and chamber/magazine after shooting surplus ammo, and a light coating of RemOil for storage.

Good luck!

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The worst thing about Mosins is that once you have one you will want another.

They are extremely addictive.
    Yep, then you find that you like the Finnish M39 even more... or at least equally. :D

Check the barrel lands, and muzzle. Nice and crisp = a good start for a decent shooter.
    Some are counter bored, but this appears to have no real effect on accuracy.

Cheers

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I've had a few of them and they are a blast to shoot!

I have to disagree here, I got one because of the price like most people but for the most part it stays in the safe.

Just not a fan of operating it. Kicks too hard and loud for my comfort (call me a wuss, whatever)

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I have to disagree here, I got one because of the price like most people but for the most part it stays in the safe.

Just not a fan of operating it. Kicks too hard and loud for my comfort (call me a wuss, whatever)

True.... not everyone likes them.

I might be able to free up some safe space for you!

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Yep, then you find that you like the Finnish M39 even more... or at least equally. :D

Check the barrel lands, and muzzle. Nice and crisp = a good start for a decent shooter.
    Some are counter bored, but this appears to have no real effect on accuracy.

Cheers

This is true!

I had a Finn follow me home after the Russians started showing up!:):

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    No, it should come with all of that, no questions asked.

And they are certainly less brutal than my 870.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

If you would like to make them easier to shoot, pick up one of the add on rubber butt-plates. I picked one up for $15 - did a couple of good things, lengthened the stock so it fits me better and seemed to reduce the felt recoil about 50%. I've got 4 ~ 91-30's and an older version 1891?. All shoot well, but as you say they are hard kicking and LOUD. Course the noise isn't a lot different from my M1 Garand or other 30-06's, 8 MM Mausers or .308's

Top Bottom