• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Hey, so I I've got what I think is a decent deal coming through shortly and I just wanted to double check with some other folks who may know more about long arms than I do (well, not may, but just plain do).

Anyway, it's the 91/30 full length rifle for $115 + ta. As far as I know it's in good condition and was a surplus rifle that made its way over to the States from Russia. It's the rifle only. I'm wondering if it's a decent deal or if I'm paying too much. I don't feel like I am, but I didn't research it so much as the opportunity fell into my lap.

The second set of questions I have are about accessories. I want to know the availability for a scope, the original (or replica) bayonets, a sling, and stock mounted ammo pouches that are at least replica of originals (if that exists). I'm hoping to keep it close to the WWII roots of the rifle, with the possible exception of changing out the bolt for the sniper style curved bolt if necessary (I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it has the curved bolt or not already).

Anyway, what are prices on those accessories, from folks who know? Is it a decent deal? And any info I should know about the 91/30s that may be out of the ordinary?

Thanks a bunch.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I don't think it is such a great deal just for the rifle. Would be a fair deal with the accessories. Go to aim surplus.com and you will see the accessories I am talking about. Remember....the price you will see at AIM is dealer prices.
    I wouldn't buy it unless it had the stuff that it came with.

zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    It seems like an average deal on the gun. Accessories are not fun to deal with on the mosin. The best scope mount is from rock solid for $100, then it has to be put on professionally, but it puts it closer to your eye. Then the bolt handle has to be changed for sure. Or you could get a actual scope for the older sniper mosins, which is only 3 or 4 power but mounts to the side of the rifle. Or you could just find a pu sniper mosin for $300 to $500.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The accessories are going to go into a box in your closet. IMHO, unless you're a collector, they serve no purpose (note: the firing pin tool is not included in that blanket statement!).

$110 isn't a great deal (especially without the accessories), but considering how much prices on Mosins have risen lately, I'd buy it.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Yeah, the guy stated that he was having a hard time getting them in with full accessories, and that this was what he could drag in for now. I mean, I don't really need any accessories, although the sling would be nice for carrying.

I'm figuring I ought to grab it now while they're still relatively available.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For that price, or just a few bucks more, you can find one in very good condition with the accessories like bayonet, sling, cleaning kit.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    For that price, or just a few bucks more, you can find one in very good condition with the accessories like bayonet, sling, cleaning kit.

Yeah, I'm sure I probably could if I really tried to search around. Normally this guy is able to get them in like that. The rifle is in very good condition, I'm certain, I'm going to double check everything before I purchase it. While I'd like the bayonet, sling, and so forth they're not essential. I've already got a fairly decent cleaning kit, so I'm not worried about that either.

Although I do thank you for the input, and I don't mean to sound particularly contrary.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    if you wanted one in really good condition with a hex reciever and the bayonet,sling,ammo pouch and cleaning kit you could go to gandermountain and buy one for $129.

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    They have them at my local gun shop for 89-110 out the door. I'm not sure thats such a great idea unless its a reallllll nice one. AIM sells them for like 89+Shipping I think. Dont know how decent they are though.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    They have them at my local gun shop for 89-110 out the door. I'm not sure thats such a great idea unless its a reallllll nice one. AIM sells them for like 89+Shipping I think. Dont know how decent they are though.

Got mine from AIM. Excellent shape with all accessories. $79 + shipping (FFL03)
    100_4884.jpg

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Overall though, it may not be the best deal, but it's still a nice high powered rifle for under $150. So really it's still a good deal. You can probably save a few bucks on the next one.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Don't pay more than $90 for a Mosin 91/30. No reason to if you are not a crazy collector with in-depth milsurp knowledge.

Most 'Sniper Mosins' aren't the real deal. Real ones cost a great deal more than your average 91/30 and are usually very hard to find. The reproduction scopes can be found without too much effort for around $300.00.
    I haven't had the opportunity to use one with a scope, but seriously, it's just a Mosin.

You're not going to get MOA accuracy out of an $80, 80 year-old mass produced rifle. For the $300.00, I'd rather have another gun, or 3 more Mosins so I could just throw them away when/if they break.

Skip the accessories and buy another crate or two of 7.62x54r.

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    local dealer has a hex reciever good condition clean, sharp barrel very good crown $129. think there was a counter bore $119

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I found a M44 at the 1500 over a year ago for $80. Same guy had more at the show after that one, but they had gone up to $100. I bought my 91/30 for $110, it had been shot by the seller, but was clean and in good shape. Frankly, it's worth the extra $10-$15 to me if it's already had all the fossilized "commie-cosmoline" cleaned off. I got no accessories with either rifle, but picked up a sling at Bradis for $5 a few weeks ago. Like everything else, these rifles are going up in price, even if they are in rough shape. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a 91/30 for $80, but honestly don't regret paying $110. I haven't seen any cheaper in a local store or at the 1500 since.

Top Bottom